PDA

View Full Version : pheasant in the lower mainland - where?

Mr. Friendly
03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
when I was at the turkey course, two guys from the East Van region mentioned an area that you can go hunting pheasant in...but alas, I forget what they said. can anyone enlighten me? ;)

Singleshotneeded
03-22-2009, 05:12 PM
:smile: Hey Mr Friendly, I heard there was a pheasant ranch down there, where they charge hunters per day... I recall seeing an ad similar to that in the hunting regs a few years back...

Blainer
03-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I believe you used to be able to hunt pheasant on Barnston island in Surrey.

EvanG
03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I ve taken pheasants in Ladner and pit meadows, always as a surpirze while hunting ducks. I ve also seen a few roosters out in the sumas praire this winter while working.

dutchie
03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I ve taken pheasants in Ladner and pit meadows, always as a surpirze while hunting ducks. I ve also seen a few roosters out in the sumas praire this winter while working.

Associated releases pheseants and all 3 spots that you mentioned happen to be were there are leased feilds!!

I have never heard of any preserves in the Lowermainland but I have heard of 1 on VI and 1 in the kamloops area.

dutchie

Ddog
03-22-2009, 09:24 PM
we used to hunt pheasants at the blueberry farms on reicenbach road, i think thats the wrong spelling, its the road the alouette boat marina is on. lots of pheasants used to live there in years past. same with the farms down at the confluence of where the pitt river meets the fraser. used to be lots of pheasnts around there, you could here them all the time.

SHACK
03-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Pheasant hunting around the lower mainland is becoming a difficult endeavor, private property to gain access to, low numbers of wild birds, poor farming practices, large influx of "released birds" but none the least it can be done with some great success. Your best off to join one of the clubs that releases pheasants if your looking for instant gratification, or pick up a copy of the Fraser Valley Special Area map to see where the open areas are and start knocking on doors for access. Even some of the smallest little farm plots, and blackberry tangles hold birds, but you have to do you leg work, and you better have a good dog to help you!