PDA

View Full Version : Sooke Mountain Park

longshot
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Hello,

My dad and I mainly hunt Ducks and Geese and want to try hunting grouse. I have never hunted grouse, and my dad has hunted them over 20 years ago when he was growing up in the lower mainland and i am really interested in trying it. It would also be nice to try some grouse meat for the first time.

I see that you can hunt in Sooke Mountain Park and was wondering if anybody does ANY kind of hunting there?

How is the road going into the park? We have a smaller truck that might not be able to take on the bad roads. Flatter gravel roads should be fine for it though.

Any help is appreciated,

Longshot jr.

Bow Walker
03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
As far as I can recall, it's the ole "hike-in-and-enjoy" method. I believe that the access road is gated. I could be wrong on this.

B.C.Boy(100%)
03-21-2009, 10:57 AM
FYI, have a look at the bottom page 31 in the hunting regs, The CRD has but together a map of No firearms and etc... discharge area.
Some of these areas overlap into the Sooke Mountain Park, which might not even exist anymore, last time I was there (parking lot) I saw a sign saying that park is now called the CRD Malahat Conservation corridor (or something like that)
You could contact the CRD @ 250-478-3344 and ask them what the real deal is, besides you have plenty of time to figure this out before grouse opens in late August or early September, and who knows the CRD probably change things again before then.

I used to go up there all the time, even before it was a park and there were no closed gates, but now, too many hikers and Mt.bikers and now the lack of open areas allowed to discharge a rifle or shotgun.

Like Bow Walker said, it's park and walk from the gate.

livingston
03-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Hunting is allowed in Sooke mountain prov park but it is a bit of a hike to get there.Plus the boundaries of crd park and sooke mtn prov park are pretty gray.
I see the maps where gone the last time I was up there.I did see some fresh cougar scat up there though. For grouse head up to Jordan river.