PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Calls

Fallen Timber
03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey there,

I'm heading out to the Castlegar area in April to hunt turkeys for the first time and was wondering what I should be using for a call. I'm planning on getting a box call since theyre easier to use and want to spend as little as possible. Any recommendations?
I'm also considering using a 16 gauge - will this have enough oomph for turkey?

Thanks in advance.

huntwriter
03-17-2009, 07:24 PM
My honest opinion shaped on 15 years of turkey hunting is that with only one call you handicap your turkey hunting success from the get go.

To have a fighting chance at a gobbler you need at least two calls, or better yet three plus at least one locator call.

Here is what I recommend with what every beginner should start. A box call plus two pot calls, one glass and the other slate. If you can’t afford two pot calls then at the very least get one pot slate call. A slate gives you that raspy hen sound big mature toms love to hear.

As a locator call go with a crow call, a gobbler shaker or a coyote howler.

It is very important that you learn the exact sounds, pitch and cadence a turkey hen makes. Despite what some less experienced folks might tell you, a turkey does know what it sounds like and just sounding almost like a turkey is not good enough.

If you have the time come to Vernon this coming Saturday and I will tell you everything there is to know and teach you the basics of turkey calling on my seminar.

For more information and to book. Contact the President of the Vernon Fish & Game Club at: 250-550-4069 or email at: davepusey@shaw.ca

Singleshotneeded
03-18-2009, 01:20 AM
:) Hey Fallen Timber...You need a locator call like a crow or owl, and they're a mouth blown call and pretty inexpensive. I use a Lohman Psycho turkey call, it's a glass pot call that you use a striker on, and has a push button as well...two calls in one. I got it from Cabelas and it was pretty inexpensive...and it works very well. The push button is great for when the turkey isn't far away, as it's one-hand operation.
So at the very least you need the locator call, and that two-calls-in-one Lohman Psycho call, or something similar. Enjoy your hunt! The 16 gauge with full choke and good turkey loads should be fine, btw...#4 or #5 shot...