PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit hunting on Vancouver Island

longshot
03-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi,

Anybody hunt rabbit on south Vancouver Island. My dad, younger sister and I hunt waterfowl and thought of having some rabbit stew sometime.

Rabbit hunting is something my dad loved to do when he was a kid and lived in the lower mainland and wants to pass the small game hunting experience on to me. Anyone have any general directions, or hunt rabbits on south V.I. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Longshot Jr.

kyleklassen
03-14-2009, 06:18 PM
uvic......

longshot
03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I wish... there is so many EVERYWHERE there. Maybe i'll go door knockin' on the principals office to get some land permission. :D

Longshot junior

Steeleco
03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
The news just now told of a plan to give the male rabbits a vasectomy. What the hell are these people smoking? Feed the hungry, bunny problem fixed.

huntcoop
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Head up to UVIC and try slingshotting after dark with a flashlight. But besure to bait the vegans away with curds and tofu.

longshot
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Just double checking as I am a young and fairly new hunter.

Rabbits here on Vancouver Island are considered "Scheldule C" which means the can be killed anywhere, anytime, NBL.
Just Double Checking.

Thanks,

Longshot Jr.

scallywag
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
lots a rabbits around nanaimo around city limits .. can i take a rabbit anywhere with my crossbow?? even at night?

timothycousi
06-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi,

Im hoping to do some rabbit hunting just outside of parksville on vancouver island...I was wondering does anyone know if the rabbits are really up for grabs out of season? I'm going to be using a 150lb draw weight crossbow with 4x20 scope and laser sight and i think this should get the rabbits for sure from 20-30 yards at least!! tell me what u think?!

Timothy

PS: also i believe the hunting season starts Aug 25, 2010 for bow only season this year! tell me if i'm wrong!

Drillbit
06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Used to hunt them on James Island before development started. Best rabbit hunting EVER. Maybe try and get a hold of the grounds keeper. I haven't been there in around 12 years so I don't know what it's like anymore, may be too busy of an area now.

Benelli FanBoy
06-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Rabbits here on Vancouver Island are considered "Scheldule C" which means the can be killed anywhere, anytime, NBL.

Actually they are "Schedule C" EVERYWHERE in BC

Pg. 14 of the Hunting Synopsis if you don't believe me

Albafly
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey Longshot Jr,

You ever have any luck with this rabbit hunting? I would love to get into this too, anywhere between, well basically nanaimo and port hardy. I have been a bit reluctant, as it seems that the areas i have observed them at, are often too close for comfort to lots of people.

If anyone has any general suggestions for a newbie, or general areas worth having a look, that would be great! Or, if anyone has a farm with a rabbit problem, let me know!!!

Thanks

06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Try powerline roads where there is alot of broom bush and scrub. Right in the evening or early morning.
There is a powerline by Fanny bay that has a bunch if you are interested Longshot pm me i'll give you directions

Fox
06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Find someone with a christmas tree farm and ask permission. Perfect shooting lanes.

303carbine
06-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi,

Anybody hunt rabbit on south Vancouver Island. My dad, younger sister and I hunt waterfowl and thought of having some rabbit stew sometime.

Rabbit hunting is something my dad loved to do when he was a kid and lived in the lower mainland and wants to pass the small game hunting experience on to me. Anyone have any general directions, or hunt rabbits on south V.I. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Longshot Jr.

I wouldn't eat the rabbits here on the Island, they are dirty little vermin that are usually infested with worms and parasites. They are an introduced species on Schedule "C" in the regs. They can be shot any time of year in legal hunting areas. The jack rabbits have a hunting season and are in the northern parts of the Island, these are the local species that the Eastern Cottontail is overtaking.

303carbine
06-03-2010, 10:42 AM
lots a rabbits around nanaimo around city limits .. can i take a rabbit anywhere with my crossbow?? even at night?

A crossbow would be illegal to discharge in the city limits, especially at night. I believe they call that .....POACHING.

Albafly
06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't eat the rabbits here on the Island, they are dirty little vermin that are usually infested with worms and parasites.

Bears are usually infested with worms and parasites and many folk eat them- are the parasites in rabbits more likely to cause illness in humans?

Thanks

ratherbefishin
06-05-2010, 04:09 PM
try a local nursery-they are a plague to them

kyleklassen
06-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't eat the rabbits here on the Island, they are dirty little vermin that are usually infested with worms and parasites. They are an introduced species on Schedule "C" in the regs. They can be shot any time of year in legal hunting areas. The jack rabbits have a hunting season and are in the northern parts of the Island, these are the local species that the Eastern Cottontail is overtaking.what???? jack rabbits from saskatchewan have chosen to infest the north island. maybe salal tastes the same as wheat.

Crazy.kayaker
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I like to walk the FSRs up here in Kamloops with my .22 or my 28 Gauge for them. Though other people in the house have issues with me shooting the cute little bunnies.

GrullaGuy
07-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I have been hunting rabbits almost non-stop since I moved back to the Comox Valley in 2000. I use them in stews, and deep fry them. My favorite dish is hot hop wings made with the hind legs and tenderloin. The more inedible portions, I fry up and give to my dog as treats. The bones go in crab traps.

I tried bow hunting them, but broke too many arrows. Now, I slip out just before dawn and knock em over with my 12 gauge once it's light enough to see.

I find the little cotton tails the tastiest and the best shooting as they move pretty fast. I have shot a few of the European rabbits but found them to be not as good to eat.

I often use my rabbit hunting to keep track of the deer and grouse population off season, as I now do all my hunting with shotgun.