PDA

View Full Version : best waterfowl educational sources?

Mr. Friendly
03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I've got to learn my birds...aside from the poster I got from Ducks Unlimited, what other publications or resources would you recommend? I'm colorblind, so I fear I'd shoot the wrong thing, unless I study their looks. :roll:

PGK
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
http://mercury.bio.uaf.edu/courses/wlf419/wing_age_sex/duckplum/duckplum.htm

Ian can best describe their flight patterns...

Jimbo
03-13-2009, 06:41 PM
DU has a good website, with pics and calls.

Bow Walker
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
E.X.P.E.R.I.E.N.C.E.(s) UNLIMITED.....

No other teacher is quite as definitive.

Observe and Remember.

Marc
03-13-2009, 07:06 PM
This time of the year is great if you can get down to the marsh / estuaries. There are tonnes of birds around flying and making their sounds. Bring a pair of binos and learn their sounds while observing them. Watch how they land, take off, and fly. Soon you'll know what they are before you even see them just by the sound of their wings or their quack/ whistle. The best way to learn is to get out there during the off season and watch and listen to the birds. It also gives you an idea of where to look to set up next fall.

kyleklassen
03-13-2009, 07:18 PM
This time of the year is great if you can get down to the marsh / estuaries. There are tonnes of birds around flying and making their sounds. Bring a pair of binos and learn their sounds while observing them. Watch how they land, take off, and fly. Soon you'll know what they are before you even see them just by the sound of their wings or their quack/ whistle. The best way to learn is to get out there during the off season and watch and listen to the birds. It also gives you an idea of where to look to set up next fall. yes.. and go sit in a blind now the ducks feed to within feet of you.

blindman
03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Go with someone who can identify the ducks for you now and maybe always try to hunt with someone who can help prevent mistakes. Good hunting.

Marc
03-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Go with someone who can identify the ducks for you now and maybe always try to hunt with someone who can help prevent mistakes. Good hunting.

The good thing about hunting in BC is there is no protected duck species so you can shoot at least two ducks before you get yourself into trouble. That being said you should know what type of duck it is by the time you get it to the blind. The DU website helps a lot with Identifying birds but the best way to learn is get out there and check them out. I always tell the new guys I take out hunting that if you shoot it you're going to eat it. Makes them all that more careful not to shoot a gull or merganzer. :biggrin:

longshot
03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I cant remember the site but if you try googling waterfowl quiz, a bird identification site should appear somewhere. I used the site 5 years ago. It gave me photographs of birds and you identify them. By the end of the quiz, it simulates hunting early in the morning and shows you a flock of birds in the distance. You cant see any colours of the birds and must identify on what you can see of their bodies and flight formation. Pretty good site if you can google it or something.

Longshot jr.