PDA

View Full Version : SxS vs. Pump vs. Auto

Mr. Friendly
03-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm willing to spend about $500 on a shotgun that I hope to have as a do-it-all for goose and duck. there is a SxS 12ga 3" for $500 that's never been fired, comes with 4 chokes, chrome lined barrel's...then there's a Browning Auto 5 3" for about the same price and then there are options for different pumps. Remington Express...Mossberg 500...new or used, some nice deals out there (O/U's don't really fall into my price bracket).

I'm realling leaning towards the SxS (something primal about them), but the Auto 5 sounds good too (blamblamblam vs. FOOFOOM vs. blam-kachunk-blam-kachunk-blam) but I'm just not sure...INDECISION IS KILLING ME! :eek:

scallywag
03-12-2009, 06:46 AM
i am not a huge shot gun guy but i would take a look at the remington 870 or the auto 5 myself if i was to buy another.. i own a browning bps . i haven't picked up a nicer pump action 12 guage yet. i would like to own a auto loader but i dont like all the chances to fail when you might need it the most. the 870 is a nice gun with lots of options. that is just what i think

Sunny
03-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Well my opinon are auto 5 . very reliable if you want to buy 870 don't buy 3.5 inch

Mr. Friendly
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Well my opinon are auto 5 . very reliable if you want to buy 870 don't buy 3.5 inch
I've seen more then one comment concerning the 3.5" and not to buy it in the Remington. Is there a problem with it or is there a thought it's just wastefu and unnecessary...or what?

Barracuda
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm willing to spend about $500 on a shotgun that I hope to have as a do-it-all for goose and duck. there is a SxS 12ga 3" for $500 that's never been fired, comes with 4 chokes, chrome lined barrel's...then there's a Browning Auto 5 3" for about the same price and then there are options for different pumps. Remington Express...Mossberg 500...new or used, some nice deals out there (O/U's don't really fall into my price bracket).

I'm realling leaning towards the SxS (something primal about them), but the Auto 5 sounds good too (blamblamblam vs. FOOFOOM vs. blam-kachunk-blam-kachunk-blam) but I'm just not sure...INDECISION IS KILLING ME! :eek:

make and model of this one? i do like SXS

Mr. Dean
03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
For what you descibe (all 'rounder), I'd have to give nod to a pumper. But if you fancy the SxS,,, GO FOR IT!

I find that guns get used IF you like them ---> Fill your immediate yearnings now and look for other possibilities down the road - The one gun that you LIKE may be all that's needed.... Do it the other way (buy pump) and you'll still be wanting the SxS.

Mr. Friendly
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
make and model of this one? i do like SXS
it's a IZH-43 E-1C. unfired. I just made him an offer. I hope he accepts.... :roll:

porcupine
03-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I hope you get it.

HuntNHookSports
03-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Just buy all three.

Mr. Friendly
03-13-2009, 08:29 PM
well, it's been transferred to my name. Monday I'm going to mail him the MO and hopefully I'll see it about 2 weeks after. :biggrin:

Mr. Friendly
03-25-2009, 06:24 PM
it has arrived! very nice...you can tell it needs some working as everything is still a bit rough to move. two slight disappointments tho. there is a tiny chip/flaking of the bluing and the 4 chokes the shotgun came with say 'lead only' on them.

anyone know what the choke system on a Baikal IZH-43 is? I'd like to buy steel capable chokes post haste! :!:

Ian F.
03-26-2009, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't worry about the lead designation..

Explaination...

For steel you basically go down (more open) one or two choke sizes to get the same pattern distrubution. So to get a full pattern you need Imp Mod or Mod, and for some IC. Some manufactuers label the Mod for steel, which would be an IC for lead. So it's largely just an ass covering.

Moder shells have full length wads that protect the barrel and as long as you are not shooting full (lead) you'll be fine. I have several 40's-50's era SxS's that I shoot steel out of no issues. Worth Mathewson (writer/double gun afficianado) even shoots steel in full choked guns from the turn of the century!

Very best,

Ian

P.S. don't hesitate to put a good recoil pad on it (kickezz, limbsaver or Pachmeyer)

TheDuckinator
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Benelli Nova!!!!!!
Nicest pump shotgun i have ever shot, takes 2 3/4-3 1/2
It is heavy but its solid
Nothing else compares and its about 470