PDA

View Full Version : hope you guys can help??

island grown
03-10-2009, 09:50 AM
i haven't tried bird hunting as of yet.
i just got back from the oyster lease and got to thinking about all the ducks that are there. there are lots of goldeneyes, mergansers and many others. do you think that they would be to fishy tasting to eat? all i know about duck hunting is learned from the core test.
hoping someone might have an opinion. thanks for any replys,

cheers, happy hunting

dutchie
03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
bird hunting is amazing... and you are one hand up on lots of beginers because you can tell what kind of ducks you are shooting at.

Yes some are fishy, but lots aren't..

It will cost you 17 bucks to find out... i would try it, you will love it!

dutchie

07-22-2009, 12:46 PM
dutchie isnt far fron the truth! thats how i learned! there are a few gimmies that you know wont be any good like dont shoot cormorant's!

rocksteady
07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I agree with the above noted comments, before you go whole hog, buying a gun, waders, calls etc get a Duck Stamp (Federal Migratory Bird Licence) go out with someone you know and try it out...Try eating them first....It can be an aquired taste...

When I lived on the island I loved duck hunting, but most of the ones I got tasted like crap....So plan B, still harvested the ducks but made them directly into jerky.....Very palatable....

wolverine
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, my experience is if it's eating primarily sea food it's gonna be fishy. Why shoot those when there are so many other good ones to shoot? Mind you, I guess it's all where you are from. Newfies eat Ter all the time. Tried it once when a friend gave me some. Oh my God... no wonder those Newfies drink beer by the keg... they're trying to wash the taste of the shite out of their mouth!!

Gope
07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Dont sniff the guck in the mergansers mouth. WHAT ever you do, do not sniff it.

i was standing right in the "flight path" for the night flight, and seen a flock of ducks come over the tree line strait at me as i turned around to look. knew they where ducks did not know what type, took aim and fired. dog braught it back to me while i was aiming at a second that flew behind a bush before i could shoot (thank god) looked at my feet to find a fish duck sitting there with some slobber in its bill. never seeing that before i decided to sniff it, that was a mistake.

poor dog had to take a few dips in the river before id let him into the back of my truck.

i can only imagine the flesh tastes just as bad. ive only bitten into 2 "wrotten" mallards though.

08-04-2009, 03:58 PM
the ducks are fishy i have hunted ucluelet for 6-8 years or so eventually you figure it out. buffle heads are bad mallards are good widgeon are good coots are bad teal are too fast to hit so who cares. but it is alot of fun as i said befor its trial by fire but well worth the curve. when you clean them (i fillet the breast out and cut off the legs) let them sit in the fridge for a couple days and drain them off regularily. this helps take the fish out.
ps use only bb or #2 shot that is flyin at 1550fps steel needs speed to kill