PDA

View Full Version : first grey squirrel

kyleklassen
03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
got my first grey squirrel today. had my son along with me 3 years old. would have had several more but due to many dog walkers. and not being able to see through the thick brush to check for clear shooting lane i had to pass on all shots except 1 . 16 ga performed well. pics to follow.

kyleklassen
03-07-2009, 05:13 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/HPIM9674.JPG

kyleklassen
03-07-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/HPIM9673.JPG

longshot
03-07-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/HPIM9673.JPG

Looks like a great hunter. My 4 year old brother has the same gun. WOW... WHAT A KICK IT GIVES eh! :lol:

kyleklassen
03-07-2009, 07:27 PM
he's lost all the shells but it still smokes when you crack it.

Singleshotneeded
03-08-2009, 12:40 AM
:-) Awwww! Your son looks so cool there with his squirrel
and his cannon. My son is 5 and I've already taken him out
hunting with me, we've shot some grouse and a muley buck
together, so far... I took a picture of him with the grouse he
"retrieved" for me in one hand, and a 12 gauge in the other,
in front of my quad. He looks pretty cool too. Way to go,
for bringing your lil' guy out with you!

blackford
03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Nice job on taking out the little guy... Moments like this that are worth millions!!

my quick question though is other than target practice..... what are grey squirrels good for?

Ambush
03-08-2009, 03:19 PM
my quick question though is other than target practice..... what are grey squirrels good for?

What are they good for?

My Brother-in-Law has to travel all over for his job. He was in a tiny, backwater town visiting a plant in the southern states a few years ago.

He stopped at a small local restaurant for supper and asked at the counter "..what was good" ? " Brunswick stew" was the answer. So that's what he ordered and it was good.

While he was eating, a kid about ten years old, came in with a bag and showed the man at the counter. The man gave the kid some change from the cash register and took two squirrels out of the bag. More Brunswick stew on the way.

I shot and ate many as a kid in Ontario. My mom wouldn't eat them, 'cause she said they looked too much like rats. My dad wouldn't eat them 'cause he ate way too many of them growing up poor.

I have the 22 that my dad, now 83, used as a kid to kill squirrels for the pot.

Thanks for reminding me of good times gone by.

huntwriter
03-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Great picture. I sure miss squirrel hunting up here, they make awesome stew. Especially the ones that feed on hazel-,walnuts, grain and corn.

blackford
03-08-2009, 11:29 PM
What are they good for?

My Brother-in-Law has to travel all over for his job. He was in a tiny, backwater town visiting a plant in the southern states a few years ago.

He stopped at a small local restaurant for supper and asked at the counter "..what was good" ? " Brunswick stew" was the answer. So that's what he ordered and it was good.

While he was eating, a kid about ten years old, came in with a bag and showed the man at the counter. The man gave the kid some change from the cash register and took two squirrels out of the bag. More Brunswick stew on the way.

I shot and ate many as a kid in Ontario. My mom wouldn't eat them, 'cause she said they looked too much like rats. My dad wouldn't eat them 'cause he ate way too many of them growing up poor.

I have the 22 that my dad, now 83, used as a kid to kill squirrels for the pot.

Thanks for reminding me of good times gone by.

hmm after all i guess all they eat is vegetation... very similiar to rabbit

Mr. Dean
03-08-2009, 11:38 PM
C'Grats on the varmint. May many more come your way.

Sasquatch
03-08-2009, 11:52 PM
That's one happy looking kid and that squirrel looks huge beside him.

Great pic.

Singleshotneeded
03-08-2009, 11:59 PM
:smile: Hey Blackford...Slow Cooker, all day setting(low)...stew...about 3 squirrels per hungry man, 2 squirrels per lady...yum!:D

bad arrow
03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
That is a first class photo, your gonna have fun hunting with him, where is the pic taken? no snow, and I dont think I've seen a grey squirrel before.

kyleklassen
03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
south van. isle. on sunday.

Mr. Dean
03-11-2009, 12:40 AM
That is a first class photo, your gonna have fun hunting with him, where is the pic taken? no snow, and I dont think I've seen a grey squirrel before.

Unbelievable!

We're infested, there all over the place.

Johnnybear
03-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Totally awesome pic and story. Good for you Dad. Keep up the good work with that new hunter:-).

sneg
03-14-2009, 08:59 AM
that one happy young hunter.congrads to both.

Bow Walker
03-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Kids, Cats, and Dogs - gotta love 'em all.

Little bit of squirrel meat, little bit of grouse meat, little bit of pigeon meat, little bit of larger game meat, some wild mushrooms and herbs, some onions, some other veggies (clean out the fridge) a little bit of red wine, a big pot or casserole dish - what more do you need to know?