PDA

View Full Version : Muley In Motion

Mr. Dean
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Sorry but the pic's a little grainy as I zoomed in and worked about all that could be had out of the pixels. But it's still good enough for something...

For our newer Hunters - This shows a typical look at how these guys move.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0015a.jpg

A few points of interest: One is the "slotting" - Or the way in which this species 'jumps and bounces' instead of running when feeling threatened/alarmed. Also note that all 4 feet are in the same position and in the air, and when the animal lands again, all 4 feet will be on the ground 'reloading' for it's next spring.

Also notice that the tail stays down.... I have never seen a Mule Deer run with it held high and I use this behaviour as an aid in identifying the species.

Now for the most important part; See its ears and how one is facing forward and the other is pointing back? He's looong knew that you were coming and you probably should have been more alert -----> This guy just sized you up and you didn't even see him, until he moved (read: BOLTED!).

Sucks to be you..... :tongue:

Now would be the time to make a SHARP noise in effort of peaking it's curiosity again, thus having the deer stop to investigate, usually offering a broadside shot for a few seconds. Whistling can work to do this.

I've always said: Step, step, step,,, step step. Glass, glass, GLASS, and listen; until you're sure that nothing can be seen and nothing is heard.

Then repeat.... It takes a looong time to cover ground like this but IMO, it pays. :wink:

Class dismissed. :smile:

Reeves
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Good post Dean !

Untouchable
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Not to be a smart ass, but I think the word is stotting isn't it?

ElkMasterC
03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
It is stotting.
That was a test.
Extra marks for Untouchable.

Mr. Dean
03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
:redface: My Bad. I forgot to cross that 'T'. :redface:

I'm goin to leave it there - It'll drive a few nutty. :lol: :lol:

Elkhound
03-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm goin to leave it there - It'll drive a few nutty. :lol: :lol: