PDA

View Full Version : camera question

Gus
02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Not sure if this should posted here, but I wanted to throw a question out to the photographers on the site......

DSLR vs a bridge camera

What are your arguments either way?

nomad
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix fz20. Great grab and go camera, fantastic versatility etc.... However it does have it's limitations of course so the question to you would be your general purpose for the camera? Do you use any kind of digital now? Do you enjoy Manual settings and understand them? Or would you rather just point and shoot? If you like using a camera to it's full potential then DSLR all the way! Need to shoot in RAW to get the most out of your pics. After saying all that I can still take my point and shoot and produce some excellent work! There is more to it than just the camera after all. Good luck, just give lots of feed back to the guys here and they'll definitely help you through your decision! There has been a few other camera threads in the past you might want to check through also.

lineofsight
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
The Nikon 710 has a very small form factor, good ISO, fully manual capabilities and something like 14MP. With the form factor can have it in your shirt pocket and not remember its there - no excuse not to have it with you. Its ~$350 so fairly inexpensive for a quality camera that allows you to decide whether it meets your needs. If you find you want a DSLR then still worth while to hang onto it as are the are times when you may not want to carry $3000 and 3 lbs (body and one lens). I mention the 710 as with the manual capabilities, ISO, image stabilization... pretty close to G10s, P90s.

DSLR allows you flexibility in lens choices however the lens range on the 710 or similar is what about 90% of the people use. If going DSLR route my bias is towards buying best glass you can, it lasts a long time and keeps its value (have not lost money on lenses). No point spending $1200 on a body, $300 on cheap lens (though the 18-200 is pretty impressive for ~700), then buy PS (again this is my bias, other people may tell you different). If willing to spend 1,000+ per lens (maybe 2,000) on several lenses then DSLR is way to go.k

I thoroughly enjoy my DLSR and have enough invested in it and lenses that i dont want to discuss the amount. However, the little 7MP Canon digital Elph sees nearly equal use and is a lot more likely to be brought along.

As far as image quality, can show you 8x10s made with 4mp PS, 7mp PS, 6MP DSLR, 8MP DSLR, 12MP DSLR and I'll buy the beer if you can tell me which one was made with which camera.

Think there are a number of good 1/2 way choices too, trading of form factor for lens range and possibly ISO sensitivity.

Think you need to decide the following:
manual settings y/n?
raw
iso range
lens range
size/weight
image stabilization (just remember it stabilizes the image but does stop your subject from moving).
money

$500 and you have on of the nicest fixed lens camera imaginable
(Canon G10 Manual, Raw, IS, 28-140... or Nikon P90).
$500 and you havent even started on DSLR.

If have a photographer friend look at photo collection, sort pictures on focal length, gives you a good idea on what range you may use. Also look at your circumstances - lots of light, little light, okay with using flash?

wolverine
02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
I just bought a Pentax K-m. Not a top of the pile DSLR but upper mid-range. I learned to take photographs with 35mm SLR equipment and loved it and because I loved it I continued to take courses and studied it and at one time was going to become a pro. The "point and shoot" insta-matic type of cameras don't cut it for me. I like to be able to manipulate the light by using ISO and shutter speeds and aperature selections etc. It's fun to be able to create something using what mother nature provided in the raw form and by manipulating it turn it into something more beautiful or interesting. You just can't do that with the "insta-matic" type cameras. So if most of your photos are "snapshots", and I'm not saying that in a condescending way, go for the point and shoot. However, if you have a bit of creative side and really enjoy photography or plan on, go with the DSLR. You won't be sorry. There are lots of good ones out there without having to drop three grand to get into it. I still carry a point and shoot instamatic digital in my hunting pack for taking the snapshots.

thunderheart
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Not sure if this should posted here, but I wanted to throw a question out to the photographers on the site......

DSLR vs a bridge camera

ask newhunterette .. her daughter is a champeen photographer

hotload
02-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Canon Power Shot Sx 10, 20 times optical zoom, grab and go wonderful camera and no need for attachable zoom lens, pulls it all in just like a spotting scope. With tons of snooping around I made a great investment

Steeleco
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM
^^^^ That's the one I'll be buying if my S2is ever dies!!!

huntwriter
02-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Depends where you want to take your photography. Keep it as a hobby or thinking of going professional later.

My wife is a professional photographer and uses all kinds of DSLR camera bodies. She also has a "companion" camera that she takes everywhere, even on shopping trips. It’s an Olympus Camedia with which she has taken many saleable pictures and even award winning pictures too. To use a phrase she uses in her photography courses. “It’s not so much what camera you use but how well you learn to take pictures and the functions the camera offers.”

For my editorial photography I use Canon D5, Canon Rebel XT, and on hunting trips I take the smaller Olympus C-5000.

With DSLR the sky is the limit. Most Camera brands offer very good quality bodies in the pro-sumer class. My best advice to you would be to go to London Drugs (excellent customer service and knowledgeable people) if you have no access to a pro camera shop and handle as many camera bodies and brands as possible. The Internet is full of information too on the pros and cons of different models and brands. In the price range of 600 to 1000 dollar you will find a DSLR that will give you all the features you’ll ever need.

Most camera bodies are sold with an average quality lens that will get you started. Once you’re ready to advance pay close attention to lens quality, as this is much more important then what camera body you use to get good images. Learn all the features and learn to use the camera to its fullest potential, plus read a book or two about photography and you’re well on your way to become better than the average point and shoot photographer.

PGK
02-27-2009, 10:33 PM
DSLR. Far more common, easier to use. Bridge type cameras are losing popularity because DSLRs are becoming so popular, a lot less expensive and easier to use than they used to be. Plus when you start wanting to expand your shooting opportunities, you can just buy lenses. But hell, doesn't matter, nobody will ever see the pics anyway, knowing you :lol:

elkhunter1
02-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Hotload.
Where did you buy,???

Mr. Dean
02-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Your asking for a comparison of apples and kidney beans. :smile:

There's good and bad with anything. They type of camera you get will be motivated by what you want out of it.

One of the key ingredients of a "good" DSLR is the type of image processor it has and how it meters light.... Just because it says (select a brand) on the body, doesn't mean it has the same internals/electrics as the rest of the same line.

Another thing I notice is that a lot of people have way more than they need, or will need. It doesn't make sense to spend substantial coin just to post pics on the net. Most fixed lenses will do a superb job of this IF you take the time and learn it inside out and maximize it's capabilities.

The drawback with these, though, is that your stuck with the lens it has on and are limited in exposure settings. This is good for some, not good for others. Depends on what YOU want/expect to do with it.

Another BIG draw back IMO, is being stuck with the built in light source (flash) it has - It's all you have and they ALWAYS disappoint me. Even on the ultra fancy jobby's.

With a decent external flash on a DSLR, one can bounce and set up off camera, make exposure adjustments to compensate, and combine that light with the built in flash, thus giving some real pleasing lighting effects that can virtually eliminate any unwanted shadowing. Either on the subject OR its surroundings. This option is one that I couldn't live without, after all,,,, a good pic is ALL about light.

That's probably the top 2 reasons why I prefer SLR's. But as with any hobby, it boils down to what YOU want to make of it.

Will that be Beans or Apples today, Sir? :lol: :wink:

Legi0n
02-28-2009, 10:58 AM

DSLR vs a bridge camera

To me the main advantage of a DSLR is the fast startup time. My camera is able to snap a pic in under 0.2 seconds. Flip the power switch and press the shutter at the same time for that once-in-a-lifetime occasion.

hotload
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Checked everywhere in B.C., including ebay, and did the math, and there by chance and luck it was right under my nose in Kelowna, at Visions. Great people to deal with and the part i liked VERY NEGOTIABLE. Camera and some other stuff thrown in for a very very reasonable price.

Mr. Dean
03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Checked everywhere in B.C., including ebay, and did the math, and there by chance and luck it was right under my nose in Kelowna, at Visions. Great people to deal with and the part i liked VERY NEGOTIABLE. Camera and some other stuff thrown in for a very very reasonable price.

Well............. Lets see some pics!

Gus
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Good advice guys. I think what I'm reading is what I expected, that if I'm willing to take the time and effort into learning how to use the camera, a DSLR is the way to go.