PDA

View Full Version : sea ducks

kyleklassen
02-25-2009, 08:23 PM
how was your sea duck season. scoter numbers down a little this year on van isle from my experience.

Crazy_Farmer
02-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Tried to get out this year but right when we had planned on going out the fog was so thick for about 10 straight days we couldnt make it happen. After that we chased geese more and then duck season ended.

Not sure about their numbers up here but it really seems like more and more guys are hunting them in washington. You see alot of limits of scoters on the washington refuge from a bunch of different guys, a couple guiding services too. 1 harli a year though compared to up here I'd say theres 100 times more guys hunting sea ducks down there then up here.

thatskindafunny
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
ok, so are these scooters any good eating? Just a question that's all.

kyleklassen
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Tried to get out this year but right when we had planned on going out the fog was so thick for about 10 straight days we couldnt make it happen. After that we chased geese more and then duck season ended.

Not sure about their numbers up here but it really seems like more and more guys are hunting them in washington. You see alot of limits of scoters on the washington refuge from a bunch of different guys, a couple guiding services too. 1 harli a year though compared to up here I'd say theres 100 times more guys hunting sea ducks down there then up here.fog is really good if you scout them before hand. they want to land on you.

kyleklassen
02-25-2009, 11:53 PM
ok, so are these scooters any good eating? Just a question that's all.better than the rotten dog salmon mallards

Gunner
02-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Boil the scoter for an hour with a large rock in a big pot,after cooking for one hour discard the scoter and eat the rock!:mrgreen:

thatskindafunny
02-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Boil the scoter for an hour with a large rock in a big pot,after cooking for one hour discard the scoter and eat the rock!:mrgreen:
Does a cream sauce go good with the rock?:smile:

f350ps
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Murray, i think that's an old Brant recipe isn't it? K

Gunner
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't know Kelly,but Mr.Smith makes some pretty awesome Brant pies!:biggrin: Gunner

Marc
02-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I didn't get out for seas ducks this year at all, with the freeze on this winter It was pretty hot for puddlers so I never bothered going off shore. Was hoping to do a bluebill hunt but this gives me a year to get things ready for next fall.

longshot
11-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Did the scoters come back?

longstonec
11-09-2016, 11:40 PM

What kind of rocks are best? River rocks or ones from salt water for a more briney taste?