PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and Confused

Evolution
02-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I love my recurve. Not only does the bubinga look gorgeous against the yew, it shoots like a champ. Its my first bow and Ive spent many hours playing its tune. I keep seeing these fancy smanshy compounds and feel drawn( no pun intended) to pick one up and try shooting it. My traditionalist archery mentor may not encourage me much when it comes to "machines" , but I see a few dusty compounds in his garage. What Im afraid of is spending thousands of dollars on new equipment, actually thats untrue, im not afraid of spending thousands of dollars, Im afraid of my wife finding out Ive spent thousands of dollars... yet again. Oh well maybe one of you archery deacons can inform me how to face these challenges.:eek:

sawmill
02-22-2009, 09:32 AM
It`s simple dude........go to a good archery shop and they will let you play with a couple of compounds.Faster,better and easier to draw.AND in the end it all comes down to a quick clean kill.You can get set up for 6 to 8 hundred bucks and have a champion set up.Less if you shop the trade and sell site here,I have bought a few big ticket items here and had great results.If you don`t like the compound....don`t buy one.But at least try one.

Coyote
02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Luke...beware the dark side. LOL

'yote

Ciskman
02-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Ive never shot a long bow, however I think it looks prety cool and am planning on buying myself one eventualy.

You definalty dont have to spend thousands. My first bow cost me around 700 with arrows/broadheads/case/wiskerbiscuit/trigger and sight. That was 6 years ago and it still works great. Personaly I dig all the gadgets that go with a compound. Give it a try, doesnt mean you have to quit traditional...

Ddog
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
its funny i am thinking of going to recurve for this years season, i have a recurve and i love the simplicity of it and i am going to start shooting it as soon as i can.
As for you going to compound there is a little more to learn and while its true, they do shoot faster i dont know if they are better cause i have seen some phenomenal recurve and long bow shooters, but they are definitely easier to draw, it all comes down to personal preference and the ability to shoot either one accurately enough to take down an animal.
if you lived closer i would say come on over and you can shoot mine to your hearts content and then you could make a decision.

danfloris
03-22-2009, 12:48 AM
i hunt with a compound and i shoot a compound in 3d, i also have a black widow recurve and i love to shoot all my bows. to be completely honest with you i find it much much easier to shoot my compounds more accurately then the recurve. if i could shoot groups at 30 yards with my recurve as well as i shoot with my compound i would shoot the recurve all the time. a friend of mine shot a deer with his recurve this year and siad that he will never hunt with his cmpound agian. so if you are looking for a little bit more of a edge on a already difficult way of hunting then i wold say go for it and try it out. i love to shoot all my bows, i just seem to have more fun shooting my recurve at 3d shoots for when i shoot my compound im alot harder on myself on "bad" shots. but its totally up to you, try shooting one first( one that is sited in) and you will see.

Bow Walker
03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Take the "wife" with you, when you go looking at bows, and get her to try a low-poundage bow that's easy for her to draw and fire. Emphasize the target aspects of archery....