PDA

View Full Version : Any salmon yet?

jethro
11-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Has anyone been out to the rivers for Coho yet? I'm thinking of checking out the Cowichan this weekend and I was wondering if anyone has seen fish yet. I'll post a fishing report and let y'all know how it went.
J

Thunderstix
11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Wow they are a late runners down there! Coho are pretty stinky around here. If you hook one you only reel in the jaw.:shock: :-D

islandhunter
11-01-2005, 06:01 PM
try further up the gordon river, i was there a couple weeks ago and the silvers were just comin up.

p&p
11-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Harris ,Lens ,anderson ,Granit & the main stream San Jaun all have fresh run Coho right now This rain will realy shake things up !!! The cowichan is hot right now the fish are really moving due to the rain .P&P.

lip_ripper00
11-05-2005, 06:14 PM
chelais is just starting to produce fish in numbers. will be good in another 2 weeks Steve

BlacktailStalker
11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Coho are long done here in courtenay, river is so choked with chums its ridiculous, well I guess you still get some late northerns that go 15 plus pounds. Steelhead release on a local river here is prime fishing, esp on the fly. 1500 winter and summer runs in a 6 km stretch, above where the returning salmon can go, 8-12 pounds plus and wilds up to 20 lbs. Screamin steelys! And the rut? What more can a guy ask for! Winter spring fishing is good as always, when its not too windy.

PGKris
11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
river is so choked with chums its ridiculous

Why aren't you fishin for them!!? Go! Go!

BlacktailStalker
11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I have never been a real fan of chums in the river, maybe because as a kid I was fishing for coho, hooked a chum, he ran and he over heated my spinning reel and wrecked it. That was it for fishing that year, I couldnt buy a new one!
They are good smoker fish out of the chuck, but I usually find I have so many coho or springs from the summer, I have no need to catch a chum. Besides the deer are ruttin and I dont have my big one yet ;)

PGKris
11-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Man I love them doggies. My buddies all think I'm nuts but I love a good fighting fish and nothing beats a chum for power and scrappiness. Chinooks are great but you don't get many 30 pound chinooks that clear the water.

Why not?
11-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Man I love them doggies. My buddies all think I'm nuts but I love a good fighting fish and nothing beats a chum for power and scrappiness. Chinooks are great but you don't get many 30 pound chinooks that clear the water.

Yep! I remember Rex Field telling me that Chum were the gamest of all the salmon. I really didn't appreciate that until I caught one. Man they are tigers, aren't they?

Ted

Driftwood
11-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Winter springs are hot down south right now. Sooke and area is supposed to be insane! Check out Island Outfitters web site for reports. www.fishingvictoria (http://www.fishingvictoria).com

ratherbefishin
11-20-2005, 07:24 AM
we picked up 4 nice winter springs off the Bluffs out of Sooke harbour yesterday morning .Water was a bit lumpy, but once we found them the action was good.The usual-anchovies, did the trick