PDA

View Full Version : Ladner marsh cleanup media

02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
After reading all that bad press in the paper about hunters killing Grizzly bears I was quite upset. So I thought with this ladner marsh clean up we should contact some sort of media to draw attention to the positive side of hunters. maybe through one of the gun club presidents to media that is given to the general public, like the news paper or tv. maybe one of the smaller papers like 24 or that other one they give away for free. the provence??? the sun???

I just thought I'd put that idea out there, maybe it has been done, maybe it did not work, but it couldn't hurt to try again. I am not that good at writing, but I would love to make this happen.

any ideas?

John.

Dirty
02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Isn't a lot of the garbage caused by pig hunters in the first place? Wouldn't this negative aspect take away from the positive aspect taking place. Surely the media would take an alterior spin on it and ruin the whole point of the activity.

02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought its mainly Junk that floats in, and stuff people dump. but I may be wrong, I haven't participated in a big clean up yet. you may be right about the spin.

f350ps
02-17-2009, 05:09 PM
It's crap from all user groups, including the wakeboarders that are there all summer. It amazing what kind of junk you can find in there. I got the leg of my motor caught on a submerged shopping cart. Shoulda told Bubbles about that one. I think any attention we can draw to the clean up wouldn't hurt. K

sneg
02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Good idea.Most of junk over there would befloating stuff come with tide. Unlike some FSR there are not much of heavy duty garbage. sure there will be some empty shells .not sure if we want pictures o spent shells in newspapers.

fowl language
02-17-2009, 08:59 PM
as f350 said there are many user groups that use the marsh and any press will be positive. i would like to nominate 870 to contact the press as it was his good idea,feel free to pm me and i can have one of our members that has some knowledge with the press help out...by may the tides will have flushed out most of the hulls by that time.....fowl

huntwriter
02-17-2009, 11:39 PM
After reading all that bad press in the paper about hunters killing Grizzly bears I was quite upset. So I thought with this ladner marsh clean up we should contact some sort of media to draw attention to the positive side of hunters. maybe through one of the gun club presidents to media that is given to the general public, like the news paper or tv. maybe one of the smaller papers like 24 or that other one they give away for free. the provence??? the sun???

I just thought I'd put that idea out there, maybe it has been done, maybe it did not work, but it couldn't hurt to try again. I am not that good at writing, but I would love to make this happen.

any ideas?

John.

Good idea John. Finally someone is thinking:wink:. We need to be more in the public. I am often surprised how many people do not know that there is a Fish & Game Club in the community, let alone know how much good these clubs do within the community for wildlife and environmental concerns.

Since I came on board in our club I spent some time with forward thinking people and we set up a promotion committee. Since then barely a month goes by without an article in the newspapers or a report on the local TV channel. I have the editors of our two local newspapers, the radio and TV guy on speed dial.

It’s a bit different with large media groups, but most local media is starving for news and that is our chance. Clubs have so much going on, be that hanging wood duck nesting boxes, cleaning up rivers and many other activities. But also events like muzzleloader shots, 3-D archery shots and more. All of these things are “news worthy” and need to be published adn broadcast. In addition we started to offer events, such as my turkey seminar, and possibly a fly fishing seminar coming up this summer for members and non-members. Promotion sadly is still a foreign word for many of our hunting organizations and clubs.

Sure it takes a little work to sit down and write all the press releases and phone up media type folks but the benefits of that work are very positive for the clubs and for the hunters. If you need any media assistance or promotion tips with that marsh clean up contact me and I will be glad to offer you my experience in the field of promotion and media.

sparkes3
03-27-2009, 10:31 PM
we still doing this

2ducks
03-31-2009, 03:26 PM
a good point.this subject was talked about at delta ladner rod and gun meeting ,and we will talk to local news paper.