PDA

View Full Version : Nanaimo Pumpkin Shoot

Bow Walker
10-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Well, It rained some - and then it rained some more. It liked what it had done, so it proceeded to keep on raining.:shock:

The shoot kicked off at 9 a.m. with registration and the usual gossipping among the early arrivals. Coffee and donuts were on hand. Thank the Gods.

Shotgun start at 9:30.......it was a bit drier in under the timber, the drops were only twice and three times the size of normal rain. But they were fewer in number.

Most of the targets were well placed, with just one that was a bit too much in line with another so that when you were shooting on one the people retrieving their arrows on the other they were in danger of getting shot by a stray arrow.

The good folks at the Nanaimo Fish and Game closed that particular target when they were made aware of the faux pas. So? S.N.A.F.U.? AS one shooter was heard to say - F.U.B.A.R.! quote, unquote.

There were approximately 55 to 60 shooters of all ages in attendance and by all reports a good time was had by everyone. At least there were a lot of smiling faces and hand shaking at the awards presentation.

I was lucky enough to be able to shoot with some celebrities. It made for a day that will live long in memory. Pretty hard to concentrate on the targets sometimes though.

Who were they? Ever watch the Lord of the Rings? Remember Gimley? Well apparently he lives for target archery - especially 3D. Your's truly picked up a few great tips from him. The only problem came when we kept loosing him in the thick underbrush. Although he would eventually turn up at the next target. Funny thing though, his arrow was usually stuck in the "solid eight" ring......nobody remembered him shooting, but he kept on getting those solid eights. ;)

Another of the celebrities was a pro-shooter from a well know centrally located Archery Pro Shop. He just forgot his T-shirt at home, that's all. More great tips. Funny what you can learn when you keep you mouth shut and your ears open.:redface:

My fellow shooters cleaned up on the ribbons at the end of the day though. You betcha!

As a matter of fact, everyone in the group got a ribbon except me. :?: Gotta keep practising I guess. I only shot at a rate of 75% Not good enough for a ribbon. But - one good thing. I sure was a close 5th!

All in all a great day in the outdoors. Good company, fun shoot, lots of kibitzing and funnin' all around. What better way to spend a rainy Sunday?

Gas is still a bit too expensive to do any amount of road hunting, and besides, tarmac and gravel makes for some pretty thin soup. Although there is lots of rain for the broth.

Hope to see more people at the next shoot. Whenever and wherever.

Canuck2
11-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Sounds like a fine shoot, bowwalker, in spite of the weather. And not a bad turnout for the time of year, when most are focussed on hunting.

I was real pleased to hear the sound of multiple raindrops on my roof the other morning at 5:00 when my alarm signalled time to get up for hunting. It caused me to roll over and keep on enjoying the warm bed.

Thunderstix
11-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Are you insinuating that archery can be shot whilst the rain has ceased? I have never heard anything so absurd!

timberhunter
11-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Actually we had 76 shooters from what I was told. Looked like everyone had a fun day despite the westcoast sunshine. The kitchen staff were right on top of things, with very little waiting for food. A great day. I didn't shoot, I kinda forgot about the shoot itself:roll: . Pretty bad for me being as active as I am in the club.

We had a shoot for the cubs at lunch time. They shot at balloons on a piece of paper with a hidden dot. There are a lot of really good shooters up and coming. The prize for the cub shoot was a checkmate recurve donated by Marc Moriez of checkmate bows.

Our next shoot is the Turkey shoot in December. No ribbons or need to keep score. We draw names out of a hat for your choice of a turkey, ham, or slab of bacon.

Hope to see many of you guys there.

Marc S.

gitnadoix
11-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Whats the date of the Dec shoot ??

timberhunter
11-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I beleive its the 11 of Dec.

PGKris
11-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Are you insinuating that archery can be shot whilst the rain has ceased? I have never heard anything so absurd!

lmao no kidding eh! JOP outdoors last year was shot in a downpour!