PDA

View Full Version : what's your goosehunting gear?

Mr. Friendly
02-16-2009, 09:20 AM
- what do you prefer for a shotgun? pump? semi-auto?
- what size cartridges? 2.75"? 3"? 3.5"? magnum?
- what do you use for camo?
- what boots?
- how many decoy's do you find works best? how & where do you lay them out?
- what piece of equipment do you find invaluable on the field? (talking about something abstract and not mentioned so far)
edit - what is your favorite choke to use on goose?

I really wanna goose hunt, but being I currently can't shoot (don't drive, not near a range) I can at least get everything else in preparation of when I finally can go shooting. :D

PS - if one of you feels confident enough for it...perhaps you'll be up to offering a Goose Hunting Course, kinda like the Turkey that's coming up! :mrgreen:

PPS - if you don't have a dog and your bird hits the water, how do you go about fetching it? I don't have a dog and I am one with Murphy's Law...so it's gonna happen!

dutchie
02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
For a goose hunting course...

Before you can get a gun out of the truck you have to be able to get on a feild, and be able to camo yourself somehow, and then Decoys and guns work really well after that,

I just got a Winchester Sx2 semi, or I will use my Berreta Silver Pigeon and i like shooting the 3" #bbb or 3" #t. I have yet to hunt with the SX2 as i just picked it up on Saturday

We have 12 Avery FFD Elite full bodys. But each time of the year is compleatly different (and also what kind of geese you are hunting) Snow Geese you need alot more decoys then regular canadas and also for how many guys are hunting. If there is 2-3 of you you might get away with 12 decoys on one day and the next you might need 24 deeks. You want to have the Landing Zone or LZ at the top of near the top of a hill and just like ducks there is many ways you can set up the docoys, everyone has thier own preferance.

I am learning to blow a Bill Saunders Goose Pimp and the Bill Saunders I5KLR, and Traffic will be coming into my Calling collection next year. All my regular camo gear for warmth only because I have the Layout.

I have a Hitman pro layout with fake grass in both the dead grass colour and Green grass colour. and I always add in natural vegetation for the realest of camo.

As i do not yet have a dog (the middle of April will be a different story:D) I will not hunt around water unless I can walk out past my active shooting distance. I hunt more feilds then water so far, but dogs are invaluable tool especially when the dog is chasing down the crippled bird. (They are alot quicker then us)

dutchie

Qwa-honn
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
My favorite set up is as follows
Benelli SBE2 and 3" T's (lately)
My layout(Finisher)
goose flag(heavy hauler)
four doz silouettes.(2 doz Pro Geese 2's and 2 doz Big flock that have flocked heads and tails.)
Calls.. Winglock short reed (delrin)
Heartland short reed(acrylic)
Saunders Reload Poly I think. I got this from Matchu19
Short and sweet and have never come home empty handed.
I have 22fullbodies and 29 shells but.. the above is my favorite set up.

mattchu_19
02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Benelli SBE2, Wad Wizard SWAT
Hevi-shot 3" 4s
Hedge Redzone, Acrylic Traffic, I5KLR, Basin Abomination Cackler 2
FA X-lander blind
1 dozen DSD honkers plus 4 DSD honker sleepers
3 dozen DSD lessers
Hide like a ninja and use Jedi mind tricks on geese
Works for me