PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon Hunting

Buck
02-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Does anyone here hunt raccoons? In the states they hunt them at night is that allowed here?Any tips for locating them during the day.I'd like to get my dog on these critters.

asurebet
02-14-2009, 12:05 PM
It's Easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.loomcom.com/raccoons/gallery/jpegs/tea-party4.jpg

Barracuda
02-14-2009, 12:58 PM
we dont have racoon here :lol:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/two_racoon_at_once_Small_.jpg

Pete
02-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Does anyone here hunt raccoons? In the states they hunt them at night is that allowed here?Any tips for locating them during the day.I'd like to get my dog on these critters.

Day time Raccoons are sleeping.

Barracuda
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM
not always! especially if you hound rousts it:lol:

bsa30-06
02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
not always! especially if you hound rousts it:lol:

Spoken like somebody who's hounds have awoken a few racoons.:lol:

Lone Ranger
02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
We have a couple of families of them here. We're downtown Abby backed into a ravine on 3/4 acre, and they're so tame you can walk right by them and they hardly even notice you, and amazingly they don't even bother the local cats.

Out in the wild, I've hunted a few coons. I used to have a couple of pelts and I always liked the fur, so if I get the chance then I will tag one definitely. LR

Stone Sheep Steve
02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
You can't hunt them at night....unless they're in your house.

There's been a few nights in the summer where wife has been crafting at the dining room table and the little raiders come in the screen door and eat the cat food......4' from my wife:shock:.

Caught them hunting my cats on more than one occassion.

One day I'll get my revenge!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

SSS

yamadirt 426
02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
We had one in our disposal bin on fri. My buddy went to pick up our empty 20yd and something didnt sound right so he took it off the truck and there was a big guy it there. Must of being walking around the top and fell in. We just about drove to vancouver from langley with him. Would have been pretty funny to go do a garbage pickup and open the door to him.

Chuck
02-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Should be NBL 24/7 - 365 imo.

lip_ripper00
02-15-2009, 12:39 AM

Just bring your dogs over to my place just before first light on a Thursday morning (garbage day) the buggers are picking and choosing the days menu!!

Lone Ranger
02-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Yeah, between them and the possums here we can hardly leave the doors open in the summer (heck, even the crackheads are getting as bad as them now). None of them have any fear of humans and they have no problem with welcoming themselves in and helping themselves to the cat food. The resident rodent's so scared of everything and basically useless that she doesn't stop them either. Its about time I get a dog I think. LR

nano
02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
last Aug a coon stoll our garbage can because it was full of the shells from our seafood dinner. still looking for the garbage can.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-15-2009, 01:20 PM
last Aug a coon stoll our garbage can because it was full of the shells from our seafood dinner. still looking for the garbage can.

Bear???

SSS

Ciskman
02-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Heres a couple of pics of a fight my dog got in with a racoon...I have a video too, I am not sure if its ok to post it though.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1124.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1132-1.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1188.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1196.jpg

boxhitch
02-15-2009, 07:57 PM

SSSWhat caliber for a racooon skull shot ?

dutchie
02-15-2009, 11:40 PM
That new .17 center fire round that is 40gr. that flys at a blistering 4000+fps!!

you just have to get the gun to go with it now!

GoatGuy
02-16-2009, 12:34 AM
You can't hunt them at night....unless they're in your house.

There's been a few nights in the summer where wife has been crafting at the dining room table and the little raiders come in the screen door and eat the cat food......4' from my wife:shock:.

Caught them hunting my cats on more than one occassion.

SSS

Found an arrow in our yard the other day.

Big lake............................

Pete
02-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Raccoons are tough species. A big boar coon is amazingly tough. If you think that your dog is going to have a walk in the park be prepared because your dog is going to get ripped. You had better hope that your dog dosen't chase him into water cause the coon will kill him.

lineofsight
02-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Heres a couple of pics of a fight my dog got in with a racoon..

Am a little surprised there was no sow, the kit looks barely 3 months.

Glenny
02-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Raccoons are tough species. A big boar coon is amazingly tough. If you think that your dog is going to have a walk in the park be prepared because your dog is going to get ripped. You had better hope that your dog dosen't chase him into water cause the coon will kill him.

X2. A couple of adult coons ripped the crap outta our dogs. They are very tough.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2009, 07:12 AM
What caliber for a racooon skull shot ?

Funny you mentioned this......talked to my neighbour across the street for the first time since I moved in 14 yrs ago:-(.......he recommends .22CB shorts....and since I didn't even hear him "off" a coon I say that's a good "urban" caliber:cool:. Won't go there myself as I love hunting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

Coons aren't too popular in my hood.

Saw fresh tracks on my doorstep this morning........RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

SSS

Pete
02-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I use cb shorts to put down the majority of the Raccoons that I catch. I would not recommend using them on a Raccoon on the move and would deffinetely not use ANY type of firearm in an urban area. All of the ones I dispatch are in live traps and only where it is legal to do so.

Mr. Dean
02-16-2009, 10:51 AM
What caliber for a racooon skull shot ?

Have I got a tried and *tested* round for you???

You bet! :wink: :twisted:

But only if ya shoot a .223 Remmy....

For daytime hunting, best to do with an obedient dog that'll flush'em out. It's not very common to see 'coons up-n-out during the day. Even the urban ones (with little exception) tend to prowl under the cover of night.

They're out there,,,, but not in the numbers that you find them in the city - I'd predict a challenging hunt.

Ciskman
02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Am a little surprised there was no sow, the kit looks barely 3 months.

Yeah it is prety tiny for sure. We were out fishing in Manitoba and it came charging out at the dog. I tried calling the dog off for a bit but that wasnt happening. The little guy sounded like a rabid ewok!

sneg
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
shot gun with BB load is good for racoon, not much damage to pelt. can use in urban areas where shotgun only. they are out of their hide places just before sunset.have got a couple last year.they do not smell as much as coyote and pelt is nice..

FLHTCUI
02-17-2009, 09:12 PM
With all the druggie/gang shooting going on in the lower mainland right now, I would be very carefull about what and where I went shooting legally. I will also second the tenacity of the urban raccoon as well, they can be mean when it comes to food and or the young ones.
Rob

Surrey Boy
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Heres a couple of pics of a fight my dog got in with a racoon...I have a video too, I am not sure if its ok to post it though.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1124.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1132-1.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1188.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/annie_cory/Picture1196.jpg

What kind of dog is that? You just sold one for somebody.

britman101
07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
If you are going to let your dog chase after raccoons make sure it has had all its shots including rabies. Raccoons can get infected with rabies and then pass it on to your dog via a bite.

mike31154
06-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Would a recurve bow with a broadhead arrow do the trick in an urban area without ending up in jail? I saw an earlier post mentioning the critters hunt cats, so I have mixed feelings on the issue. On one hand neighbourhood cats on the loose are using my garden as their litterbox, on the other the 'coon is raiding my grapes in the fall....

boxhitch
06-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Vernon has also outlawed archery in town
Live traps work for both, M

boblly1
06-11-2017, 11:08 AM
the easiest way is to trap them in a live trap. Then put the little b-----ds in the back of you truck go for a drive with your dog. Make the choice to let them out for the dog to chase them.keep in mind that if coons feel threatened they will attack the dog. myself i would just shoot them in the trap but don`t go by me. I just don`t like those critters very much

Surrey Boy
06-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Doesn't Vernon have real problems to deal with?

mike31154
06-11-2017, 09:37 PM

Ok, thanx, bummer though. On the bright side I can save myself the trouble of building the archery target out of carpet scraps I've been hoarding.... Good thing the neighbours didn't turn me in when I took a few shots with the bow to practice in the back yard. Put some holes in a rain water filled rubbermaid with field tips.

boxhitch
06-12-2017, 06:45 AM
I say fire away. Likely no one will bother you, unless their kitchen window is downrange 00

mike31154
06-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Get along well with neighbours. Large lots here in older area not far from ball fields at Army camp.. Still prolly best to make a trip to Surplus Herbie's & see about a trap.

boxhitch
06-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Doesn't Vernon have real problems to deal with?It was a quiet incipient movement a few years ago where several communities started banning shooting and trapping, usually lumping archery in with firearms

boxhitch
06-12-2017, 07:36 AM
ball fields at Army campLikely lots of live releases happening up that way

walks with deer
01-02-2018, 03:05 PM
live trap and high powered 177 pelet. or a rain barrell dunk...when i was in full city..

now i have cougars/bears/wolves and a 338

mike31154
01-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Incidents like this don't help matters......

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/opinion/bella-vista-hunters/

britman101
01-02-2018, 11:47 PM
With respect to that article in the Morning Star, I used to live in Vernon, and lived on Bella Vista Road. That part of the town used to be nothing but farms and orchards. However, like everything else housing developments spread out without much thought, to be backed up against working farms and orchards. Not knowing the full details of the incident, but the hunters were using bows which fall outside of the firearms regulations. However, the bow hunters do have to follow the guidelines as set out by the bylaw mentioned. They did exercise poor judgement in hunting from the bed of a pickup truck, but as long as they secured permission from the landowner to hunt on the property, and they were taking a shot at a legal deer (within the restrictions of the deer season for that MU) they are good to go.
Deer have become a problem in certain parts of the valley so harvesting them by hunting, instead of being hit by a car seems like a reasonable trade-off in my humble opinion.