PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Shotgun shell?

benson
02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
What are your favorite shells for waterfowling? and why?

Gilmore
02-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I've never seen 2.25 for 12 ga.!

Ian F.
02-11-2009, 08:56 AM
I care not about length..

I want 1 1/4oz going at least 1300fps, #3's for ducks, bb's for geese and Kent's if I can get them. Take apart some different shells some day and look at the shape of the pellets!

Ian

kyleklassen
02-11-2009, 09:10 AM
3" 1 7/8 oz imperials bb's for geese 4's for ducks. can't use them anymore, but there still my favorite. loved those things.

Alex
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I'd rather shoot good 3" for geese than cheap 3 1/2. Same applies for ducks, never had problems with Blackclouds or even Kents in 2 3/4.

Alex

PGK
02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Give me 2.75'' #3's please

Qwa-honn
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I use both 3 and 3.5.
Right now I have a case of T's(Fedral), BBB(kent) in 3" and 1/2 case BB and 1/2 case of 2's in 3.5's (kent,1625 fps)

branthunter
02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
2 3/4" 1 1/8oz. 12 G. #3 Federals for ducks, snows, and brant .

f350ps
02-11-2009, 01:33 PM
For me it's 2 3/4" #2 Kent Fasteel 1 1/8oz for ducks and Remington Nitro 3" in a #1 or BB for Geese and Brant. K

pattern master
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
go big or go home.with a beretta there is no recoil

duckkiller
02-11-2009, 02:51 PM
go big or go home.with a beretta there is no recoil

You are absolutely right "Pattern" I agree!!! The more boom the better!!! its all about the kick off!!!:wink:The more shrapnel flying at those little buggars the better:eek:

Killer

benson
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
You are absolutely right "Pattern" I agree!!! The more boom the better!!! its all about the kick off!!!:wink:The more shrapnel flying at those little buggars the better:eek:

Killer

I agree with Pattern and Killer, finally a couple of waterfowlers that have stepped out of the 70's and 80's and are using modern products to their advantage! I am a 67 year old waterfowler and this old dog could learn a few new tricks from these good ol' boys! We should get together and go hunting. (I will pm you guys)

Benson

duckkiller
02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I use both 3 and 3.5.
Right now I have a case of T's(Fedral), BBB(kent) in 3" and 1/2 case BB and 1/2 case of 2's in 3.5's (kent,1625 fps)

Hell Yah!! good enough for a plane, good enough for a duck!!!!

Killer

PGK
02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
More lead is just compensating for poor shooting. There's no earthly need for a 3.5'' shell unless you're skybusting or a poor shot. In my humble, relatively inexperience opinion.

BCrams
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
3.5" = guys who always shoot at high fliers (flock shooters)
3" = guys who can't quite get the birds to commit to the spread - pass shooters

2 3/4" = guys who can decoy the birds inside of 15-25 yards before shooting. :mrgreen:

benson
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
More lead is just compensating for poor shooting. There's no earthly need for a 3.5'' shell unless you're skybusting or a poor shot. In my humble, relatively inexperience opinion.

Just a matter of time till someone made that comment.:roll: More shot more horsepower= lots and lots of birds, maybe I am a poor shot but I am willing to bet I shoot more ducks than you!:lol:

benson
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
3.5" = guys who always shoot at high fliers (flock shooters)
3" = guys who can't quite get the birds to commit to the spread - pass shooters

2 3/4" = guys who can decoy the birds inside of 15-25 yards before shooting. :mrgreen:

I always decoy them inside of 15 yards and shoot them with 3.5" shells!!

pattern master
02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
shoot Em In The Lips

dutchie
02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Give me 3" "T" flying at 1450fps for the geese and 3" #2's going 1625fps for the marsh and 3" at 1625fps #4's for fields.

the size of shell means there is more shot in the air... you can skybust the EXACT same way with a 2 3/4". (a true sky buster will use a tungsten matrix or heavy shot.)

Terminal velocity ends at approx 60 yds for steel no matter if it is a 3.5" or a 2 3/4"

go to tungsten matrix now you have 90 yds of terminal velocity again in a 2 3/4" or 3.5"

benson
02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Give me 3" "T" flying at 1450fps for the geese and 3" #2's going 1625fps for the marsh and 3" at 1625fps #4's for fields.

the size of shell means there is more shot in the air... you can skybust the EXACT same way with a 2 3/4". (a true sky buster will use a tungsten matrix or heavy shot.)

Terminal velocity ends at approx 60 yds for steel no matter if it is a 3.5" or a 2 3/4"

go to tungsten matrix now you have 90 yds of terminal velocity again in a 2 3/4" or 3.5"

I also heard Remington Nitro 3" in a #1 or BB are good for sky busting.:eek:

Crazy_Farmer
02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Wheres the 16 gauge option :tongue: Now thats a real killer!

In all seriousness give me a 4 gauge punt gun strapped to a small but sturdy punt and let me scull into a mass of snows and we'll fix that population problem in no time. And since we're already doing something highly illegal I'll use old lead nuts and washer and bolts. :eek: Nothing like going to a market and picking up a mallard with a bolt stuck threw it. :p

Ahh I wish I was born a 150 years ago on the east coast.

Nothing wrong with any of the shells listed. Have 2 or 3 cases of 3 1/2" BB and 3-4 cases of 3" #2s. I find I use the 3" the most even for most geese as under 25-30 yards it wont matter. I also sometimes dont bring enough 3" and end up shooting 3.5" at ducks sometimes. It'll all kill them dead, thats all that matters.

f350ps
02-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I always decoy them inside of 15 yards and shoot them with 3.5" shells!!
Just curious, have ya ever eaten any of the birds ya shoot? Must be some real beauties eh? K

benson
02-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Everthing I shoot I eat how about you?

kyleklassen
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
[quote=Crazy_Farmer;409329]Wheres the 16 gauge option :tongue: Now thats a real killer!
whats wrong with the 16? steels are only 25+ a box for 15/16 oz. had to go buy the kid a new 870 youth 20 ga to replace the 870 wingmaster 16 couldn't afford to feed it anymore.

Crazy_Farmer
02-11-2009, 06:57 PM
[quote=Crazy_Farmer;409329]Wheres the 16 gauge option :tongue: Now thats a real killer!
whats wrong with the 16? steels are only 25+ a box for 15/16 oz. had to go buy the kid a new 870 youth 20 ga to replace the 870 wingmaster 16 couldn't afford to feed it anymore.

Yeah but lead is still real cheap :eek::tongue: Same goes for alot of that stuff. Down across the border you can find almost any shot in any gauge but up here its certainly not so.

Whats also different about our ammo prices compared to the states is something my brother brought to my attention awhile ago. Down there the price of a shell is the same no matter what size pellet aslong as its the same oz weight. Up here go to cambodia tire an its laughable how they charge 1 or 2 dollars more for each box for the bigger the size.

You're paying for the weight of all the pellets, 1 3/8oz of #2s and #BBs both weigh the same but somehow they like to charge extra for larger.

PGK
02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Just a matter of time till someone made that comment.:roll: More shot more horsepower= lots and lots of birds, maybe I am a poor shot but I am willing to bet I shoot more ducks than you!:lol:

You are one tuff son of a gun alright. But I think crazy farmer already had this conversation with you :roll:

Crazy_Farmer
02-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Everybodies an internet legend in their own mind.....some more then others. ;)

I'm just waiting for a thread about how "my dad can beat up your dad" that seems to be the end of all childish arguments. :-)

PGK
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I think he's just new and doesn't get it that nobody is really impressed with how big a shell he can shoot through his oober extreme black shotgun, or how many birds he can kill.

Some of us like hunting birds, not blasting their frickin heads off. But hey, we were all new guys with something to prove once ;)

fowl language
02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
so not to change the subject but were does one go to try out for this team beretta.....the one thing that i have noticed about the 3.5 in shells is there is alot less cripples. i only use it on my third shot for geese and was wondering if anyone else has the same observation especially in the late season when they have a heavier coat on.....fowl

benson
02-11-2009, 09:34 PM
You are one tuff son of a gun alright. But I think crazy farmer already had this conversation with you :roll:

Who is cazy farmer?:confused: Oh yah:roll::lol:

Crazy_Farmer
02-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow, arent you just a ball of joy everyday. :roll:

You go from calling yourself " a expierenced waterfowler" to " I bet I kill more ducks then you" and then calling yourself a "big boy". You also say you're a "extreme waterfowler".

TOOT TOOT

just making sure you know your own horn is working.

Better watch out here comes Extreme Bensen with his real Extreme Extrema2. Pretty soon you'll be calling yourself hardcore. ;)

duckkiller
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
I think he's just new and doesn't get it that nobody is really impressed with how big a shell he can shoot through his oober extreme black shotgun, or how many birds he can kill.

Some of us like hunting birds, not blasting their frickin heads off. But hey, we were all new guys with something to prove once ;)

Why do think if a guy shots 3.5" shell he is out to blow a birds head off, I am not here to start a fight but you sound pretty uninformed, all you are doing is throwing more steel at the bird which hopefully ensures less cripples, which ultimately is every waterfowlers goal.

Killer

benson
02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow, arent you just a ball of joy everyday. :roll:

You go from calling yourself " a expierenced waterfowler" to " I bet I kill more ducks then you" and then calling yourself a "big boy". You also say you're a "extreme waterfowler".

TOOT TOOT

just making sure you know your own horn is working.

Better watch out here comes Extreme Bensen with his real Extreme Extrema2. Pretty soon you'll be calling yourself hardcore. ;)

Sorry crazy farmer I do not mean to steal the spot light. I do enjoy all the comments and pictures of your hunts! TOOT TOOT:biggrin:

Ben

Crazy_Farmer
02-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Its okay, you can have all the attention you need here, there are some guys whose only reason of being on here is to get a rise out of others. Nothing better then sarcasm to past the time here.. :biggrin::tongue:

JRG94
02-11-2009, 10:26 PM
simmer down now :biggrin:

pattern master
02-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Benson is not a team beretta member but we do agree with him on some subjects. I dont even know if he owns one. FOWL dont worry you already are a honorary member.

Crazy_Farmer
02-11-2009, 10:33 PM
:biggrin: Only two more weeks to go before I have 2 weeks off for canadas and brant everyday. I'll be happy then. :p

Why do think if a guy shots 3.5" shell he is out to blow a birds head off, I am not here to start a fight but you sound pretty uninformed, all you are doing is throwing more steel at the bird which hopefully ensures less cripples, which ultimately is every waterfowlers goal.

Killer

Yep, theres no arguing the fact, same goes for rifles, sure you can kill a deer with a .243 but a .270 or 300 or 375 will do the same job. Personal preference.

benson
02-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Killer

Killer exactly!

pattern master
02-11-2009, 10:37 PM
crazy farmer where do you hunt brant

Crazy_Farmer
02-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Out of a punt mostly :eek::biggrin:

PM sent.

pattern master
02-11-2009, 10:53 PM
yeah i would be in a punt to the water is pretty cold this time year

6 K
02-11-2009, 11:23 PM

O.K....O.K. I'm in! I am a poor shot. I use #2 3" hevy shot and was 35 and 0 at geese inside 30yds last time out. ( not exsactly sky busting but then again I may not be concidered a waterfouling expert;)) I finally blew one down to the water when a flock passed at 10yds. Finished the day at 40 something and 1. Someone want to sell me one of those pretty looking extrema2s cheep( I can't afford much, all my funds go to ammo:lol:) so I can blast away with 3.5 inch shells.
On a more serious note. Do you more experianced shotgunners feel it would be worth my while to have a rear bead installed? I have been giving this some serious thought lately just wonder about the merrits.

fowl language
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
say PATTERN is there any form of fees or initiation for this team berretta,monthly meetings ,executive decisions etc.. do i need any particular type of beretta as ive owned at least 2 for the past 15 years or so.does the team leaders put on any shooting clinics a guy could sign up for, as im always looking for ways to improve my shooting skills. does your team have any social events. would you guys be opposed to taking me out goose hunting id like to sharpen that up some ....fowl

02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
O.K....O.K. I'm in! I am a poor shot. I use #2 3" hevy shot and was 35 and 0 at geese inside 30yds last time out. ( not exsactly sky busting but then again I may not be concidered a waterfouling expert;)) I finally blew one down to the water when a flock passed at 10yds. Finished the day at 40 something and 1. Someone want to sell me one of those pretty looking extrema2s cheep( I can't afford much, all my funds go to ammo:lol:) so I can blast away with 3.5 inch shells.
On a more serious note. Do you more experianced shotgunners feel it would be worth my while to have a rear bead installed? I have been giving this some serious thought lately just wonder about the merrits.

6K,
I think your problem lies in how your shooting not what your using to shoot. I use a 400$ 870 and cheep 3" winchester shells and don't have a lot of problems folding up birds overhead. (briant hunter can vouch for me) I don't know if a rear bead would help, but I painted my front bead with blaze orange nail polish and it works great, or try one of those fiber optic orange dots, those work great as well, and don't forget to follow through when your shooting. The thing that I have bought that has helped my shooting the most is a mechanical skeet thrower from reliable for 60$ and put about 2000 clays through it last summer.

Ian F.
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Here's a few facts...

Shell length means nothing in terms of the payload of shot.

The weight of the shotload determines the number of pellets. 1oz in a 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" is still 1oz of pellets!

The weight of the payload is the single greatest factor in recoil, followed only slightly by velocity. Bigger the payload, bigger the whoomp!

Recoil is the single greatest contributing factor to poor shooting, whether one can admit it to themselves or not is another thing all together.

What kills birds beside being on them, is pellets and energy, but being on them is the single greatest factor. Many of the longer super screamer shells are low payloads 1 1/8oz or less, but cranked up with powder to go fast as that's the fad right now! You are paying for plastic, not preformance.

One should pattern their gun and load and see how it preforms and ignore all the hype. Many of the screamer loads have "blown out" patterns and preform much poorer overall then more resonable speed loads.

Off the soapbox now

I'd truly love to do a round or two of skeet with Team Berretta, they can shoot their wonder weapons with 3 1/2" duck loads, and I'll shoot my wimpy 1oz target loads that go just barely faster then a fart. Then we get to punch each other in the shoulder, the super recoil free king of the mountain Berretta shooters shouldn't even flinch?

Hugs and Kisses,

Ian

field marshal
02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Good on you Ian.
Finally the voice of reason prevails.
Cheers
Field Marshal

Qwa-honn
02-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Here's a few facts...

The weight of the shotload determines the number of pellets. 1oz in a 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" is still 1oz of pellets! Gee ....Really.

The weight of the payload is the single greatest factor in recoil, followed only slightly by velocity. Bigger the payload, bigger the whoomp!

Recoil is the single greatest contributing factor to poor shooting again.... hmmm , whether one can admit it to themselves or not is another thing all together.

What kills birds beside being on them, is pellets and energy, but being on them is the single greatest factor. Many of the longer super screamer shells are low payloads 1 1/8oz or less, but cranked up with powder to go fast as that's the fad right now! You are paying for plastic, not preformance.

One should pattern their gun and load and see how it preforms and ignore all the hype. Why didn't I think of that. Many of the screamer loads have "blown out" patterns and preform much poorer overall then more resonable speed loads.

Off the soapbox now

I'd truly love to do a round or two of skeet with Team Berretta, they can shoot their wonder weapons with 3 1/2" duck loads, and I'll shoot my wimpy 1oz target loads that go just barely faster then a fart. You are forgeting the fact that gun clubs don't allow anything other than target loads. Then we get to punch each other in the shoulder(that I would like to see), the super recoil free king of the mountain Berretta shooters shouldn't even flinch?
Hugs and Kisses,

Ian
have a nice Day:lol:

Ian F.
02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey QA,

Go re-read the thread and you see that the majority of those points address claims, plain and simple.

Where'd I say gun club?

Thanks, I've had a pretty good day so far, hope yours is the same way!

Ian

Qwa-honn
02-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey QA,

Go re-read the thread and you see that the majority of those points address claims, plain and simple.Your very first words... here's a few facts.

Where'd I say gun club? You didn't, if you want it all to really count this would happen at a gun club.

Thanks, I've had a pretty good day so far, hope yours is the same way!

Ian
Later and happy hunting

Ian F.
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Won't take much research to validate those facts, check out some of Chris Batha's writings, or go to Chuck Hawks.com for starters. A tape measure, 2 traps and a little thinking will create a skeet field anywhere you want.

Ian

pattern master
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Club membership has no fees Fowl like I said before you are already a honorary member. If you would like to hold meetings and better organize feel free to champion the opportunity. As far as shooting clinics we could hold some seeing most of our members are pita, ata and summer games shooters like yourself. again social events I believe you already attended the southern hospitality in the driveway I know qwan honn had a blast. When it comes to goose hunting I am sure you could teach us a trick or two. MR IAN F I would love to shoot a round or two of skeet with you . We could go to Langley Gun Club and crank the speed up to shoot international targets. Vancouver would be a better choice maybe sporting clays or even better olympic trap of my favorite games. If you are referring to Benson he is not a member of team beretta as I have mentioned before. I dont even know if he owns one.

ps MR IAN F bring some cash out to the shoot to make it more intresting

Ian F.
02-12-2009, 09:50 PM
PM,

Just where did I ask for a shooting contest?

I'd truly love to do a round or two of skeet with Team Berretta, they can shoot their wonder weapons with 3 1/2" duck loads, and I'll shoot my wimpy 1oz target loads that go just barely faster then a fart. Then we get to punch each other in the shoulder, the super recoil free king of the mountain Berretta shooters shouldn't even flinch?

What I was purposing was a recoil absorbing contest. I'm happy with my scores, can laugh at myself and my shooting on a regular basis, come out to Mission or Pitt sometime and you can laugh at me too!

pattern master
02-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's a few facts...

The weight of the shotload determines the number of pellets. 1oz in a 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" is still 1oz of pellets!

Recoil is the single greatest contributing factor to poor shooting, whether one can admit it to themselves or not is another thing all together.

One should pattern their gun and load and see how it preforms and ignore all the hype. Many of the screamer loads have "blown out" patterns and preform much poorer overall then more resonable speed loads.

Off the soapbox now

Hugs and Kisses,

Ian
last paragraph reffering to team beretta . you do know about the kick off system incorperated into the gun right.

Ian F.
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
My last post addressed that as will this one, it says to shoot a round or two of skeet. Not to see who does better in a round or two. It also sarcastically asks about the condition of the shooters shoulder after shooting said rounds with 3.5" duck loads, which refers back to earlier brags in this thread.

The only "contest" direct, inferred or otherwise is the condition of someone's shoulder after a couple of rounds of skeet with 3.5" duck loads. No mention of scores, ability or otherwise.

Like I said, cross the river and come laugh with me or at me sometime..

Ian

Malley Whacker
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Pattern may be after Ian gets his Brant you could go shoot a round he will be in the area anyway Being that fowl and myself will be finished up early with a limit we will tag along.LOL

fowl language
02-12-2009, 11:18 PM
pattern, thats for getting me invited to a goose shoot with team berettas member malley whacker. ive been dropping hints for years and finally i get to go goose hunting with one of the masters.team beretta is great thanks again ......grasshopper

jerad
02-13-2009, 01:49 AM
:biggrin: Only two more weeks to go before I have 2 weeks off for canadas and brant everyday. I'll be happy then. :p

Yep, theres no arguing the fact, same goes for rifles, sure you can kill a deer with a .243 but a .270 or 300 or 375 will do the same job. Personal preference.

and a 45/70 hardcast will do it with little meat damage

i use a remington and shoot 3"steel.
cant feel the 3.5 is worth the cost/hassle for me

i patterned my remm with the cheapo winchester steel and found its pattern was like this [:::::].

duckkiller
02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
My last post addressed that as will this one, it says to shoot a round or two of skeet. Not to see who does better in a round or two. It also sarcastically asks about the condition of the shooters shoulder after shooting said rounds with 3.5" duck loads, which refers back to earlier brags in this thread.

The only "contest" direct, inferred or otherwise is the condition of someone's shoulder after a couple of rounds of skeet with 3.5" duck loads. No mention of scores, ability or otherwise.

Like I said, cross the river and come laugh with me or at me sometime..

Ian

Ian, obviously you are miss informed, their is no kick with the kick off system, so I will gladly shoot a round of skeet with my 3.5" shells and school you with my ex full long range choke tube and I will cross the river and laugh at you!:lol:

benson
02-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Here's a few facts...

Off the soapbox now

Hugs and Kisses,

Ian

Who does this Ian guy think he is!?

kyleklassen
02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
don't know but looks like he wants a kiss.

PGK
02-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Who does this Ian guy think he is!?

The most respected waterfowler on the board.

You're currently running near the back of the pack, I think. I'm sure you have some good things to contribute, but your attitude isn't helping you much.

Marc
02-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I've hunted ducks with Ian and so have a few others on the board. Ian doesn't miss very often when he pulls the trigger.

My favorite shell right now has to be my reloads in 3" 1 1/4 oz moving at 1475 fps. I can load them faster but this seems the best speed for pattern ratio.

branthunter
02-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Your not allowed to shoot lots and lots of birds, just 8 for ducks, 10 for snows, 5 for Canadas, and 2 for brant.I was a poor shot in my early days and I compensated for it by learning to hunt ducks (ie. to get close to them) and learning how to shoot, not by buying a bigger gun and bigger shells.

kyleklassen
02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
I've hunted ducks with Ian and so have a few others on the board. Ian doesn't miss very often when he pulls the trigger.

My favorite shell right now has to be my reloads in 3" 1 1/4 oz moving at 1475 fps. I can load them faster but this seems the best speed for pattern ratio.ounce and a quarter of what size?

Marc
02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
ounce and a quarter of what size?

I've loaded up #3's for ducks and BB's for geese with this recipe. I've also loaded #2's and #1's as well but not in the last year or so.

shank
02-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Newbie here first thread i have hunted ducks for many years but after my hunting acident back in 86 i kind of lost intrest in hunting them but my nephew got me back in this year looking forwoard to next year anyways i have a question for you Marc i'm going to start loading my own steelshell for next year and was woundering where you get the loading information from if you could help that would be great .
thanks .Mike

Marc
02-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I use Sam 1 wads and they have a little booklet in with it with some recipes. Or you can buy their steel load recipe book from them.

shank
02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Thank's Marc where would you buy the Sam 1 wads ?

Marc
02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Where do you live? Most of the big hunting chains will have them and a few smaller store will bring them in.

shank
02-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi Marc i live in Chemainus i see you live in Ducan not to far away ya i was looking in wholesale sports and i see they sell them .do you use there steel shot also ?

Marc
02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Steel shot is pretty much steel shot as long as it's round. Might want to start another thread or contact me in PM so we don't totally hijack this thread.

Marc.

heyblast
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
This thread has been an entertaining read. Heres what I use. 2 3/4 or 3 ", at 1400 fps. or faster, # 4 in early season when ducks are decoying easily and not heavy feathered yet, changing over to #2's by mid to late Nov. when they are in full winter plumage and not decoying as well. Most of my shooting is around 30 yds. or less,although I have no trouble killing ducks at greater ranges, I just like to get them in close. Speed is the most important factor with steel shot,followed by which make of shells works best with your gun, at least thats my two bits on the subject.

Gope
04-29-2009, 07:57 PM
kent 12gauge 2 3/4" BB for ducks and geese. 1 1/16th oz

had 2 cripples last year, and both never made it to far.

duckkiller
10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
How about Heavy Metal anyone tried them.

Killer

heyblast
10-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Has anyone used Federal's Black Cloud. Does this pellet design work or is a gimmick.

duckkiller
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I tried the Black cloud and it works but I use a aftermarket choke tube with a wad reduction system, this system conflicts with the black cloud flight stopper wad, so you get a poor pattern. So every time I shoot them I have to change my tube, but I have to say they crush the birds and I think the price is not so bad for a premium shell. I recently was able to try some Heavy Metal, this stuff is nice! soft shooting and folds the birds for a joke. I did not shoot enough to say its worth the money but I will definately be buying more.

killer

303Brit
10-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks Duckkiller, I wondered about the Blackcloud stuff, also an interesting tid bit.

I use 2 3/4" or 3" shells in 12ga, number 2's on geese and 4's on ducks, as this is what my mentor uses.
I have a cheap Moss'vick 588, so I started out with the Hi-vel Win steel cheapest ammo around. My thinking was cheap gun I don't feel like feeding it exspensive ammo. Especially until my wing shooting is to the point where I can determine the actual difference between the $13/box shells and the $30/box shells. I haven't had any problems with cripples.

Don't tell them I'm throwing cheap steel at them, the geese in the freezer didn't seem to notice the difference. So SSSSSHHHHH

Just my 303cents

TopGun
10-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I agree that heavy metal kicks, why mess around!!

longshotz
11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Load my own non-toxic. NOT CHEAP!!!
12 gauge:
1.25 oz @1250 6's for early season decoyed ducks; 4 for late season
1.50 @ 1200 (recoil!!!) 2's for geese all season
All 2.75 AA hulls
Longshotz

303Brit
12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
So, today I tried out the Rem Nitro Steel today. I hit a mallard in the top of the breast and neck area, totally cartwheeled this bird. The shot was about 20ish yards.

Not a new fav but I like the results so far, see what i can do with the rest of the box.

Down side, the portion of breast that got hit had a massive amount of Bloodshot, Something you did see to much of with them Xperts;)