PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Fishes Brine- Anyone???

rocksteady
02-07-2009, 01:04 AM
I plan to smoke up some Kokanee I have and maybe some ling cod...

Have not smoked fish in years and can't find the reccipe book that came with the little Chief....

Can anyone tell me the basic proportions for a brine for smoking fish..????

I know its salt, water and brown sugar, but not sure how much of each...

Thanks in advance.....

PS Ling Season is now closed on Moyie Lake, did well in the last 3 weeks, now its time to savour the fruits of the harvest...

Schutzen
02-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Will send you a link by pm

Iron-Head
02-07-2009, 01:44 AM
For burbs, I will suggest using 3 cups brown Demererra sugar, with one cup non iodized salt. Ad a full can of your Fav' beer to the brine along with a good portion of pepper, and if you can spare it a shot of whiskey or scotch.

That brine smoked over hickory or apple wood chips/pucks creates a "to dye for" finished product.

Happy smoking:-)

Iron'

rocksteady
02-07-2009, 01:28 PM
And how long should I brine them for?????

BEARSLAYER
02-07-2009, 02:04 PM
For my brine I use 8 cups water ,2 cups brown sugar, 3/4 cup course salt. I add1 table spoon red hot sauce. I soak the fish for 12hours in a cooler room. In my smoker it takes about 2 hours,Ilike my fish a little on the dryer side.8-)

goatdancer
02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Check www.salmonuniversity.com (http://www.salmonuniversity.com) . Lots of good info there.

thunderheart
02-07-2009, 04:15 PM
layers of course salt and brown sugar .. makes its own brine .. i got a little more brown sugar than salt .. layer it up and set it in the fridge overnight .. drain rinse and let air dry .. forms a little bit of a skin then into the smoker .. i use an old fridge

tomahawk
02-07-2009, 04:23 PM
layers of course salt and brown sugar .. makes its own brine .. i got a little more brown sugar than salt .. layer it up and set it in the fridge overnight .. drain rinse and let air dry .. forms a little bit of a skin then into the smoker .. i use an old fridge

I agree with the dry brine method, I use to use the wet but changed to dry about 25 yrs ago and love the results. I also add Lemon Pepper, garlic salt, and paprika and about 5 to 1 brown or demarara sugar to coarse salt.

Johnnybear
02-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with the dry brine method, I use to use the wet but changed to dry about 25 yrs ago and love the results. I also add Lemon Pepper, garlic salt, and paprika and about 5 to 1 brown or demarara sugar to coarse salt.

x3 started using that method about 2 years ago and it is all I use for Salmon now. Haven't smoked some trout for awhile just about time to get out the old trout gear:-D.

There is a great book out called "smoking salmon and trout" that is available at Save-on. I think I picked it up on the Ferry years ago. Awesome book.

http://sk1.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/b5809b5c96c3a404 (http://ca.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0zu8mK45JghUB.dDtFAx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBpcWpidGt pBHBvcwM4BHNlYwNzcgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=1jaekdkm5/EXP=1234140326/**http%3A//ca.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view%3Fback=http%253A%252F%252Fca.images.search.ya hoo.com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fei%253DUTF-8%2526p%253DSmoking%252Bfish%25252C%252Bbook%2526r d%253Dr1%2526fr2%253Dtab-web%2526fr%253Dyfp-t-501%26w=150%26h=242%26imgurl=www.alaska-fishing-maps.com%252FRecipeBooks%252Fsmoking_salmon_book.j pg%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.alaska-fishing-maps.com%252FRecipeBooks%252Frecipebooks.html%26si ze=6.2kB%26name=smoking_salmon_book.jpg%26p=Smokin g%2Bfish%252C%2Bbook%26type=JPG%26oid=b5809b5c96c3 a404%26no=8%26tt=78%26sigr=11vd17789%26sigi=11vhvs pa9%26sigb=13eq4ha9c)

Elkhound
02-07-2009, 06:52 PM
best brine I ever used was this one......

Brine:
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
1 c water
1 c white wine
1/3 c demarara sugar
1/4 c coarse salt
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/4 tsp fresh ground peper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed

Mix brine ingredients and refrigerate overnight.
Cut salmon into desired form, either strips or chunks, and place in brine for 8-12 hours keeping refrigerated.
Remove from brine and allow to drain on paper towelling.
Let slamon air dry in a cool place for 1-2 hours.
Place in preheated smoker and burn 2-3 panfuls of wood chips. (Hickory is recommended.)
total smoking and drying time will vary with the thickness of the salmon.
Try 8-12 hours, checking once an hour.

Goodluck. Hope it tastes great

Ambush
02-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Salt and brown sugar dry brine for me also. 8-10 hours in the brine. Sometimes, before going into the smoker, I will sprinkle Monteal Steak Spice or Mrs. Dash on the strips or fillets.

Salmon, I slice into strips about 3/8 inch thick. Smaller trout or kokanee get split along the backbone and the bone gets left in one side.

Usually about 10-14 hours in the home-made smoker.

spreerider
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I use almost the same recipe as elkhound just with minor adjustments for personal taste. (i dont use measuring cups just free pour)

Cole
02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Here's a good one for you. Try this , you'll like it!
2 good sized salmon fillet, all pin bones and skin removed.
3 cups granulated white sugar
1.5 cups course sea salt
.5 cup lemon juice
1 cup of Vodka
4 large bunches of fresh dill weed(do not chop up)
pepper to taste. A little will go a long way in this recipe.
Begin by making sure that all the pin bones are removed from the fillets.
Place fillets on a wire bakers rack and put this over an oven pan. pan should be at least .5 inch deep to catch moisture.
Liberally soak the fillets with the lemon juice and the vodka.
Lay the Dill weed bunches over top of the fish and spread them out to cover every inch of the fish.
Take the sugar and salt and mix together in a bowl. Cover the dill/fish with as much of the mix as you can. PACK IT ON FIRMLY! ! ! ! HEAP IT ! !
Next, take a large cutting board or even a another oven pan and place overtop and weigh it down with something heavy , like a couple of jugs of water(don't use milk ! !!) or even rocks.
Cover all this with tin foil and seal it up as tight as you can and put the whole thing in the fridge for no less than overnight. You can leave it till noon the next day but not any longer. Take out of fridge the next day and remove all the stuff off the fish but don't wash it with water. just use your fingers and it will all come off. slice thinly and serve with red onions and capers and cream cheese on bread.
Congratulations, you've just made Gravlax, the food of the Norse Gods! ! ! Enjoy ! !

Salty
02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
times whatever for the dry cure method. :smile: I've been smoking fish for a long time and have settled to this method which is also stupid simple to do.

In a big pot lay out a layer of fish. For me this is usually about a two inch thick layer of salmon strips. With trout or kokanee I'd half them and cover the bottom with two or three fish. Then dust the top with sea salt or some other coarse salt, about a 1/4" layer. Then add about a half inch layer of your favorite brown sugar. (Demorara is awsome). Add some fresh cracked pepper, and any other spices if you want. Then add another layer of fish and repeat. I usually do batches of 5 or 6 layers that fill up a large stew pot.

Put the pot with a lid on it in the fridge overnight at least. I go three days, stiring once a day. Then drain the liquid, air dry and smoke. I smoke at ~ 150 F for about 5 hours with salmon strips. Locally this is known as Indian candy and its to die for. :cool:

rocksteady
02-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks for all of the info....

Maybe I jumped the gun here, been out 5 times or so and have a grand total of 11 Kokanee to show for it....

Not like they are not there, guys using the same lure/bait 10 feet away are catching their limits (15).........

Off topic, sort of...Any suggestions on the ultimate lure for catching Kokanee????

tomahawk
02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Maggots work awesome for them in Lac La Hache.

rocksteady
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I am trying different colored spoons (flashers) about 3 or so inches long, about 12" of leader, to a glow hook jig (various colors)with maggots....

Same riggin as the guys beside me but ????????

Just wondering if someone had a killer combo they would like to share

Dirty
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I use the dry brine with demerara sugar and coarse salt. However, the recipe can be modified to how salty you like your fish. If you like it salty, use 3.5 cups sugar to 1 cup salt. If you like it sweeter, go with 4-4.5 cups sugar to 1 cup salt. I mix the sugar and salt in a large bowl thoroughly. Pack the fish in layers in a large container, with equal amounts of brine in each layer. Do not use a metal container to brine your fish (ie large baking pan) it will make the fish taste like metal. I brine 24 hours for regular smoked fish.

When you smoke your fish, the chips play a big role in flavor too. I find alder to give a saltier smoke, whereas Apple and Cherry give a sweeter smoke. When you smoke, make sure the chips do not turn to white ash, you should always change when the chips get burnt down, but not down to ash. If it turns to ash it will ruin the quality/taste of your fish and I do not believe it is good for you.

In addition, when you turn on your smoker, leave the lid off for a bit, then put it on sideways, and then put it on completely. This allows for the fish to heat up slowly before you start smoking. If you heat it up to fast, ie put the lid on, and turn it on, it will leave the gunky stuff on the top, which I believe is the fat or some proteins of the fish being rendered out.

This is secret information from Dirty's Smoke House.