PDA

View Full Version : I need some Keel grabber anchor measurments please

Phoneguy
02-04-2009, 11:58 PM
If anyone has some keel grabber anchors on their rigs could they please help me out by giving some measurments? I am going to get a mold made so I can make my own.

What I would like to know is the Length of the different sides of the J as well as the thickness of the anchor. If you can tell me how much that anchor weighs that would help too. I want mine to end up being 7 - 8 oz.

Maybe a picture with a tape measure for scale would be good. If you don't want to post it up here you could email me at JAbbott@telus.net ...

Thanks
James

Jimbo
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Making your own weights is a good idea. What about designing them to fit the keels of your own decoys ?

Phoneguy
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I found some pics on ebay, but without dimensions. I measured my decoys and decided that if the hook was 1" wide that would work, so then I scaled everything from that. One of the fellows at Saperton F&G is in the metal fabricating business and is going to help me out by machining a mold up. We guessed at the depth needed to be 3/8". Can always not fill the mold to the top if they are to heavy (open faced mold). Once the mold comes in I will be able to see what the actual weight of the anchors is.

James

Jimbo
02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Do you have a supply of lead for your weights ?

Phoneguy
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Do you have a supply of lead for your weights ?

I have enough to get started from air rifle shot at the range. It is pretty pure lead, I am hoping it will be hard enough. I haven't yet tried to get some used wheel weights, but may look into that if I need more.
The only problem with the spent ammo is that there is a lot of paper in it and it makes one heck of an aroma as it burns around the melting lead.

To date I have tried casting in a dollar store muffin tin, (at 1/2' thick they are 1lb, to heavy) and some dollar store stainless shot glass sized containers. I haven't weighed them yet, but think they may be to heavy too.

I am hoping this mold idea works out, as it would be the most functional for keeping the decoys nice and neat.

James

Jimbo
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Phoneguy, PM sent.

08-31-2009, 06:51 PM
how hard is it to melt led?
how do you do it?
anyone have an 8oz mushroom mold or something like that that I could use for a few days?

K-1
08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
You can go to Can.Tire and get a 1lb. ball mold for fishing. Leave it open , poor your lead in both sides, put in the anchor loops, that should give you 2 - 8 oz. mushroom shaped weights.

08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
how do you melt the led, and what can you melt it in?

lip_ripper00
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
how do you melt the led, and what can you melt it in?

lead melts at 625F, a coleman stove will get hot enough. A large soup can wilth vice grips will work WEAR A RESPERATOR!!! If you want lead let me know.

08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
so an old pot will do the trick?

08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
should I shave the lead in to small peices, or put in one huge chunk?

Statler
09-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Large chunks are fine. Just don't drop them in. Wearing a respirator as mentioned is great advice. Wearing a face shield and a long sleeved jacket is also a good idea. I've seen a pot of lead "explode" in all directions when contaminated wheel and fishing weights were placed into a half full pot of molten lead. Emptied it completely. Molten lead reacts violently to water or liquids trapped within it and released during the melting process. Something to be aware of and prepared for.