PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Pheasants

Long bow
02-04-2009, 06:44 PM
..or for that matter, Montana, Nebraska?
Has anyone gone there to hunt. I recently sent away for their non resident hunting pkg...and its a good read and informative. I drove thru S-Dakota Jan 15th, coming back to BC...and I could not believe the amount of birds..they were everywhere..Big prime birds I have shot pheasant in Germany and France..but never did I see this many just driving down the hwy.
Thanks

Sasquatch
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Did they tell you what the regs are to get a shotgun across the border?

I've heard stories of seeing 100's of pheasant a day in SD. Sounds like almost too many birds, but I would love to hunt there sometime.

PGK
02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
What kind of details can you give us? Prices? Seasons? Importing guns? Not that I'd mind using someone else's shotguns, but be good to know. How did you get the package?

jackson13
02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I went to college in Montana and hunted lots of birds down there. I didn't take a shotgun with me, but I have inquired about it before and the American side said it wasn't a problem and the Canadian just required a PAL. For a hunting licence, it was just a non-resident licence, a duck stamp, and an upland bird stamp (I think that was it, the memory isn't that clear from college). The bird hunting was AWESOME.

boxhitch
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I had a real good fireside talk with two guys from Nebraska this summer.
They farm lots of land and have a bunch that they treat special for pheasants. They run the headers on the combines at full height leaving very high stubble, and have special feed plots and natural plots, etc. Some of the best in the state apparently.
They are able to charge hunters to hunt these wild birds on their private land , and actually make money at the farming overall.

Glad that will not happen here.

Sasquatch
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
the American side said it wasn't a problem and the Canadian just required a PAL.

Not sure how long ago you are talking about...but, I've heard the rules have changed somewhat the last few years.

PGK
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
I had a real good fireside talk with two guys from Nebraska this summer.
They farm lots of land and have a bunch that they treat special for pheasants. They run the headers on the combines at full height leaving very high stubble, and have special feed plots and natural plots, etc. Some of the best in the state apparently.
They are able to charge hunters to hunt these wild birds on their private land , and actually make money at the farming overall.

Glad that will not happen here.

That's like, my dream spread. One field for ducks, one field for geese, and one field for pheasants :) All for me muahahaha

I don't know if I agree with the paying to hunt private part, but that's how they roll in the states.

Long bow
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
All I did was google S-Dakota pheasant hunting and a ton of info poped up. The State encourages non resident hunting..and all you do is fill in the request form, and in a week they send you a nice calender and all the info. There is lots of open state land to hunt, and of interest was that you could hunt the road allowances, or ditches on the country roads, between private properties. Of course it's encouraged to talk to the land owners. If I remember right, you were allowed 3 roosters a day, Pos limit of 15 birds. Non resident bird lic was something like 130.00. I spent the night in a motel in Murdo SD....and in the morning, I let my year old lab female out to do her business...she went nuts sending birds everywhere. When I drove back out to I 90, headin west...I thought at first it was pigeons in a stubble field, but something looked different...I pulled over to take a picture..100's of pheasants..Never seen so many in one spot...and all over town too. Another place I bumped into a pile was just past Little Big Horn..they were all out in the snow on a stubble field...it was real nice to see such an abundance of game...100's of birds on the snow..
I believe you have to make an application to BATF or the state dept for a form 6 to bring in your shotgun..and a hunting lic which can be bought online. In fact they are generous with pronghorns and deer also.. Real nice state. Oh ya..you can bring your own dogs too, but they must have a shot booklet.

30-378-magnum
02-05-2009, 08:23 PM
i sent my my twin daughters to dakota state university in madison south dakota they hang out with a few local kids and they went pheasent hunting all the time in the fall they even gutted the birds pretty good for a couple city girls

Wachtelhund
02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I live in Helena Mt. Montana is great bird hunting. For the last 4 year I have went duck and goose hunting in Alberta. Taking shotguns and gear across the border hasn't been a problem.

Montana best pheasant hunting is east of the Rocky Mountains all the way across to the Dakotas. There is lots of public land (BLM) meaning you just go hunt. Also lots of land owners will let you hunt if you ask. Some don't allow hunting, but most do. You can find all the regulations at Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks. It is like $120.

Long bow
02-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Wachtelhund, that is great info,...and a closer drive to. I have found the locals to be very friendly to talk hunting with. I hope your visits up to Alberta have been as pleasant. Do you think there are enough pheasants in the area you mentioned to make a week trip worth while?

dutchie
02-14-2009, 11:34 PM
One of my dads friends shoots turkey, white tail, pheasant, just about everything from Nebraska, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota and does all the hunting with his gun and his dog.

Bringing guns across the boarder is no problem as long as you have you hunting license for the state you are in and the dates of the hunting, the permit to cross the border and valid gun registration. (I don't think there is anything else) and He has never had a problem.

dutchie