PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried poaching Salmon in the dishwasher?

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I know it can be done. Seen it on t.v. :) but what seasoning would/have YOU use(d)

I really want to try it just for kicks. I think I would vacuum seal it after seasoning?

Any suggestions?

Gateholio
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, here is my suggestion:

It's insanely easy to poach salmon in a pan.:razz:

I know it can be done, but presumably if you have a dishwasher at your disposal, you also are located in a kitchen with an oven and pans...:p

goatdancer
02-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Poaching salmon is illegal. Besides, I don't think you'll find any in a dishwasher.........

mark
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I just love how the shortened title on the homepage can be so misleading sometimes! :razz:

Dirty
02-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Gate,

What are your recommendations for poaching salmon? I love poached Chinook Salmon. I cut it into steaks with the skin on and poach it in spiced white wine. Any tips for heat, when to put the fish in, and how to spice it/ what to poach it in. I have also heard of poaching in cream. A friend that is a commercial fisherman go me on to the poached fish. It cooks really fast, and is especially good with fresh fish. One thing I would like to learn is how to make a reduction afterwards to drizzle on the salmon.

2slow
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I sure would not eat anything cooked in a dishwasher. Most units don't fully drain water out of the discharge pump and during the fill process or rinse process that dirty water can be siphoned back into the unit then would be sloshed onto your salmon your trying to cook Yuk:tongue:

Gateholio
02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Gate,

What are your recommendations for poaching salmon? I love poached Chinook Salmon. I cut it into steaks with the skin on and poach it in spiced white wine. Any tips for heat, when to put the fish in, and how to spice it/ what to poach it in. I have also heard of poaching in cream. A friend that is a commercial fisherman go me on to the poached fish. It cooks really fast, and is especially good with fresh fish. One thing I would like to learn is how to make a reduction afterwards to drizzle on the salmon.

You can poach in anything, including cream, olive oil and even duck fat.

The key is to use a liquid that puts flavour in to the salmon, rather than leaching it out.

Most fish is poached in a "court boullion" - some sort of stock, usually flavoured wiht herbs, lemon, white wine, pepperorns.

FOr a real treat, cook a bunch of mussels in a pan with a bit of white wine and reserve the liquid. Add some white wine to the liquid and poach your fish in that.

Generlaly you want it to "gently" simmer, not boil. Boiling will make it tough. Too long cooking time will make it dry. Use just enough liquid to keep it mostly suspended- don't completely cover the fish in liquid. Use a lid or piece of foil to cover.

Dirty
02-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks Gate,

Could you poach in the juices from pan fried Scallops or Shrimp, similar to the mussels?

30-378-magnum
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
i wouldnt eat anything cooked in a dishwasher

newhunterette
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
one thing I learned with poaching fish is to wrap the herbs and spices you would like it seasoned with such as lemon, dill, pepper what ever your taste and wrap the fish with the seasonings in plastic wrap - then put the fish into the poaching bath of water and the seasonings are locked into the fish and it doesnt get dried out, it stays perfectly cooked and perfectly flakey almost like a boil in a bag type idea.

Gateholio
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks Gate,

Could you poach in the juices from pan fried Scallops or Shrimp, similar to the mussels?

Sure, but the mussels will give you much mor eliquid.

gamehunter6o
02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Sounds mouth watering and foaming. I think someone needs a rabies shot.

Dirty
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Sure, but the mussels will give you much mor eliquid.

Point taken, I was just asking because some people don't like mussels. I will eat about anything out of the ocean.

Gateholio
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
They won't know they are eating mussel juice if you dopn't tell them

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Gatehouse on flavors etc. You are the definitely the go to guy for stuff like that.
I just want to TRY it in the dishwasher. It would be a laugh I think just to DO it. Want it to taste good though and want to know what any tips are for doing it. Of course it will be sealed in vacuum bag with seasonings so no dirty dishwater would leach in.

Sorry about the thread name cut off on the homepage it gives the wrong idea.

betteroffishing
02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
good call on the ease of the fry pan gates , just cause you can doesnt make it a good idea too. its like people who buy those mccains pre roasted potatos on the grounds that they make meal times so much less time consuming . its roasted freakin potatos people .

newhunterette
02-04-2009, 09:23 PM
here ya go huntergirl270

SALMON IN THE DISHWASHER

salmon fillets
aluminum foil
a lemon
a few butter pats
electric dishwasher

Place the fish on two large sheets of aluminum foil. Squeeze on some lemon juice and place the pats of butter on the salmon fillets. Seal the fillets well in the foil, and place the foil packet in the top wire basket of your electric dishwasher. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR DETERGENT. Close the dishwasher door, set the dishwasher on the hottest wash cycle, complete with drying cycle, and let it run through a full cycle. When the cycle is complete the fish will be cooked just right.

You are just so funny :) "G" could't get passed the thought of shrimp stuffed moose but how will he feel with dishwasher salmon lol

remember to take pics

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
You are just so funny :) "G" could't get passed the thought of shrimp stuffed moose but how will he feel with dishwasher salmon lol

remember to take pics

That is why I want to do it Ali.. send him right over the edge lol!