PDA

View Full Version : What is the best waterfowling gun?

duckkiller
02-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Extrema2, SBE2, SX2, Browning Gold?

benson
02-04-2009, 01:41 AM
The Beretta is a far superior gun, springs break in fact I would take any gas gun over spring gun! (even a Remington) sbe is totally over rated!:razz:

My 2 cents.

Crazy_Farmer
02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Ford, Dodge, Chev. Its the same if you made a poll about trucks. Everybodies different, nobodies going to all agree on whats the "best" gun.

But since you asked, the ease of cleaning a sbe2, even though I dont shoot one has to be the top in my mind.

Alex
02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Where's the Baikal single shot?

02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
the 870.
it's a no brainer.

Farmer John
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
the 870.
it's a no brainer.

X2 and the BPS should get a mention too.

PGK
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
All of the above are POS junk. Buy a Remington and save yourself the headache

benson
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeh, the Remington is a good choice for a entry level shotgun, but after it jams(1100 and 1187) and kicks the hell out of you(870), you will see the light. You get what you pay for.(a pos)

just my 2cents

huntcoop
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Remington 870

PGK
02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Yeh, the Remington is a good choice for a entry level shotgun, but after it jams(1100 and 1187) and kicks the hell out of you(870), you will see the light. You get what you pay for.(a pos)

just my 2cents

:lol: If you clean em, they don't jam. And if you can't take the recoil from a 12ga, you shouldn't be hunting with one :lol:

benson
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
As you get more experience:wink: water fowling you will understand what I am talking about.(reliability and comfort):roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

just my 2cents

huntcoop
02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
just my 2cents

and 2 cents it is.......

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/magazine/2006_04/gunsurvey.php

duckkiller
02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I do not think Benson was arguing the fact that the 870 is a cheap and reliable gun which makes it popular with the masses I think he or she is just saying when you look at comfort, reliability and recoil issue the 870 does not even compare to most of the modern day auto loaders, I bet if you dropped the price of these modern day auto loaders to $400 they too would be Delta Waterfowls best gun. I bet if you put a modern day auto loader into 870 owners hand and let him shoot it for a season, that 870 would be up for sale on hunt B.C. at the end of that season.:smile: I have a 870 and a BPS, since I bought a Extrema2 they have been collecting dust, the 870 and the BPS do not even compare, my friend has sbe2 I have used it and the 870, BPS does not compare I have shot sx1 and sx2 the 870 does not compare, when you compare an 870 with a modern day auto loader you are comparing apples with oranges no comparison.
Killer

PGK
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't shoot one of those ugly overpriced plastic pieces of junk if you gave me one for free

MichelD
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
I think Crazy Farmer nailed it.

It's a Chev vs Ford vs Chrysler debate really.

shotgunjohn
02-04-2009, 05:40 PM
This is definitely a ford v.s. chev question , but it was phrased (which is the best waterfowl gun). I have not shot all of the above but will give another vote to the 870. Reliability over time in ugly conditions that has not been equaled by any autoloader in IMO. But then I'm getting old and set in my ways.

branthunter
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM

My POS BPS has been killing ducks and geese for 25 years with a once a year stripdown for cleaning.

fowl language
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
if its a function of price the 870 or bps are hard to beat for function and reliability. this past dec. we were hunting geese in minus 22 weather all were auto loaders and all performed flawlessly.the four were benelli,beretta sx3 and browning gold. it seens these guns have come a long way fron the rem.1100 of old which i have found that one had to keep really clean to be functional. i own three of the four brands mentioned and have been happy with all 3. the only one i dont own is a benelli.....fowl

PGK
02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
My POS BPS has been killing ducks and geese for 25 years with a once a year stripdown for cleaning.

BPS is not on the list. I would have made an exception for the venerable BPS ;)

kyleklassen
02-04-2009, 07:52 PM
well i might as well jump into the fray. 870 express, toughest gun around. i'd gladly sacrifice a little comfort for something you could drop in the ocean and beat a rabid coyote over the head and not think twice.

BoomBoom
02-04-2009, 08:07 PM
put them all on the gun counter....close 'yer eyes....'puttum to yer shoulder...mix 'um up and do 'er agin, pick the one that feels right 2 of 3 times.

a good fit/feeling gun will make 'fer a better shooter.

proper maintenance of 'em all and they will last.

..boom

JRG94
02-04-2009, 08:24 PM
forgot about the winchester SX3 on the list

duckkiller
02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I seen the sx3 it looks pretty cool!

pattern master
02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I also own several 870 remingtons. There is no doubt that they are reliable.Last year at the Delta Waterfowl Banquet I won a Stoeger 2000 semi auto. The gun has its faults mine would not shoot Kent shells only federal and I loved the gun. Before winning this gun I would not spend a penny on a semi fowl will contest to that. After hunting with a friend who had a Beretta EX 2 I instantly bought one. The other gun I was impressed with was the Super X3. At the time I could not find one fast enough for I am impatient. I have also used this gun for trap skeet and sporting clays. As far as being a hen shooter Qua honn at least I can hit something.lol:razz:

HuntNHookSports
02-05-2009, 12:04 AM
IMO the best waterfowl gun ever made was the Ruger Red Label Stainless Synthetic. A quality O/U will never jam and is easy to clean. The only thing I like about auto loaders is their recoil reduction.

brenden
02-05-2009, 01:02 AM
I have a rem 870 supermag. Cheap, tough, reliable. Never get accused of being a snob. (never get looked at like an expert either)

benson
02-05-2009, 03:14 AM
I wouldn't shoot one of those ugly overpriced plastic pieces of junk if you gave me one for free

Because if you did shoot one, that old 870 would be collecting dust in the gun cabinet!!!lol:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:: razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::ra zz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:

huntwriter
02-05-2009, 08:17 AM
What is the best waterfowling gun? The one that fits well has good balance and you feel comfortable with. I prefer the reliability of a pump action to an autoloader. The brand of a gun does not come into that equation. It’s like asking what do you like better black or white chocolate?

Ian F.
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey what about Toyota?

urination contest of the highest order.

1. Get a gun that fits
2. Pattern it
3. Learn to shoot it
4. Pay very careful attention to the source of information
5. Be honest about both the gun, and your own short comings.

Hugs and Kisses,

Ian

Qwa-honn
02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
What is the best waterfowling gun? The one that fits well has good balance and you feel comfortable with. I prefer the reliability of a pump action to an autoloader. The brand of a gun does not come into that equation. It’s like asking what do you like better black or white chocolate?
The Hell with the chocolate..... GO SPAGHETTI...Benelli!!!!!
My first brand new shot gun is a 870. It just sits in the cabinet now. I used a ll87 then a sx2 now a SBE2. I have loved them all but by far the sbe2 has been the best for me.
Hey pattern master you hit a few I will give you that but remember even the sun shines on a dogs butt once in a while. lol
:wink:

huntwriter
02-05-2009, 04:07 PM
The Hell with the chocolate..... GO SPAGHETTI...Benelli!!!!!
My first brand new shot gun is a 870. It just sits in the cabinet now. I used a ll87 then a sx2 now a SBE2. I have loved them all but by far the sbe2 has been the best for me.
Hey pattern master you hit a few I will give you that but remember even the sun shines on a dogs butt once in a while. lol
:wink:

That’s great if the sbe2 has been the best for you. The emphasis is on “best for YOU” that does not mean it is for everybody else too.

For ME, and only me, it’s the Benelli Super Nova, the Mossberg 535 ATS and Remington 870 Wingmaster. Why? Because I know these guns and what they are capable of and I feel comfortable shooting them but I never would be bigheaded enough to claim that therefore everybody else should own one of these one too.:smile:

Like I said brand does not come into the equation when I choose a gun, or any other hunting and fishing gadget for that matter.:wink:

shotgunjohn
02-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh and by the way calling a new 870 wingmaster or waterfowl special a starter gun is an insult to the good folks at Remington arms. The fact that they can and do use the exact same design to make an economy model and that there top end model is still a fraction of the cost of an Italian gun is to their credit IMO.

porcupine
02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
If you're not shooting steel, I'd say a nice old Parker is the best. I shoot a Browning Gold and have never had any problems with it.
________
Lamborghini V12 (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_V12)

Marc
02-07-2009, 12:31 PM
There are a lot of great shotguns out there, shoot what suits you. If your looking for a waterfowl specific shotgun you might want to try and find a shotgun that's designed to work well in the harshest of elements like salt water, mud, sleet, and snow. Synthetic stock and some kind of parkkerised finish and plating of internal components to prevent corrosion.

dutchie
02-10-2009, 04:53 PM

I think that we all know that this statement is alittle over the top. I use to think the same way when I bought my Benelli Super Nova, I sold that and got a Berreta Silver Pigeon S687 V and love the double tap. 2 shots 2 birds down and then I can reload and have a crack at another 2 birds. (just a very very very expencive feild gun)

I am currently waiting for the Benelli Vinchi to come out to see it and get all the literature, I want a Gas gun rather then Inertia driven because of the sensation of the spring... if the Vinchi Shoots very nice I will concider it, or it will be between the Extrema 2 and the SX3 for me. (SX3 for the $$$ and Extrema 2 for the Overall gun)

dutchie

Qwa-honn
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=huntwriter;406031]That’s great if the sbe2 has been the best for you. The emphasis is on “best for YOU” that does not mean it is for everybody else too.

That is why i wrote best for me.:rolleyes:

benson
02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh and by the way calling a new 870 wingmaster or waterfowl special a starter gun is an insult to the good folks at Remington arms. The fact that they can and do use the exact same design to make an economy model and that there top end model is still a fraction of the cost of an Italian gun is to their credit IMO.

Maybe you should try an Italian auto loader and you will understand the difference in price."what would you rather drive?" a Pinto(870) or a Ferrari(any Italian auto loader) me personally I am going for performance, looks and comfort and the pinto does not offer any of these options, its cut and dry you got to go for the Ferrari.

just my 2cents:lol:

Farmer John
02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow...calling the 870 the "pinto" of the shotgun world...come on buddy, give it a little more credit than that.:eek:

benson
02-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow...calling the 870 the "pinto" of the shotgun world...come on buddy, give it a little more credit than that.:eek:

Sorry I will retract that comment, how about an "AMC Pacer":lol:

f350ps
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe you should try an Italian auto loader and you will understand the difference in price."what would you rather drive?" a Pinto(870) or a Ferrari(any Italian auto loader) me personally I am going for performance, looks and comfort and the pinto does not offer any of these options, its cut and dry you got to go for the Ferrari.

just my 2cents:lol:
When yer standing in the marsh and yer expensive "Ferrari" is all jammed up don't come looking to borrow my "Pinto". Sounds like some serious penis envy goin on here. Let me guess, you shoot 3.5" over decoys for ducks too? Fill yer boots!! K

duckkiller
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
When yer standing in the marsh and yer expensive "Ferrari" is all jammed up don't come looking to borrow my "Pinto". Sounds like some serious penis envy goin on here. Let me guess, you shoot 3.5" over decoys for ducks too? Fill yer boots!! K

Sounds like it.

benson
02-11-2009, 05:59 PM

Just because you can not roll with the big boys, does not make you any less of a waterfowler.

Ben:biggrin:

dutchie
02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Lets look at this in another light... shall we?!

in Uraguay, when people are shooting 1000 shots a day killing doves ect... there are 1 of 2 brands that you will see in thier hands for that day...

Berreta or Benelli. NOT WINCHESTER, NOT REMMINGTON, NOT MOSSBERG.

none other then the Italian auto loaders. there is a good reason why. when one of these guns gets broken PROPERLY in they will continue to cycle any load, with perfection for 150,000 rounds then you start getting your problems.

The SX2 or the SX3 and Browning Gold are awsome guns but they don't cycle aswell when they are dirty... this is why Benelli and Berreta have that Niche market.

does winchester make a great waterfowling gun, YES... Do Berreta and Benelli make better ones, YES!

the argument about the 870 over the Extrema 2 is a mute point because the guns are actually on the oposite side of the gun shelf one is a pump and one is an auto.

A guy worth $10,000,000 will simpily not spend the money on a 870 because the quality that he wants is not there.

A guy with a limited budget will look at and use a 870 before the Extrema because the $400 for the 870 is affordable for the quality and the Extrema is not worth the $2300 to him.

If someone actually thinks a 870 is a better build gun then a Berreta or benelli, then you need to get your head checked, face reality and get on with it.

PS - I dont have any of the guns listed on here!! i just do the research and Regurgitate the facts

PGK
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I will take my guns made from wood and steel any day thanks. Not plastic and composite junk. Limited budget? I dunno about you boys, but my two Wingmasters cost me $700 and $800 for .410 and 12ga respectively. Those aren't exactly 'cheap' guns. Not to insult the '870 Express', but they aren't even close to the quality of a Wingmaster.

So, I guess I should get my head checked :lol: You can keep your plastic junk, I will keep my warhorses

pattern master
02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Dutchie even though you are from whiterock you sound like a decent guy and us ladner boys agree with you. if you want to come out waterfowling anytime pm team beretta we would gladly take you out.

benson
02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I will take my guns made from wood and steel any day thanks. Not plastic and composite junk. Limited budget? I dunno about you boys, but my two Wingmasters cost me $700 and $800 for .410 and 12ga respectively. Those aren't exactly 'cheap' guns. Not to insult the '870 Express', but they aren't even close to the quality of a Wingmaster.

So, I guess I should get my head checked :lol: You can keep your plastic junk, I will keep my warhorses

Maybe instead of buying two 870's you should have saved your money and bought one Italian auto-loader and they do come with wood stocks and might I add better quality wood than the 870.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:: lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:: lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:: lol::lol::lol:

dutchie
02-12-2009, 01:27 PM

you are trying to make Remmington sound like the Queen of England when you are going up against Alexander the Geat - Beretta and Benelli

as long as you know that you have the best, that is all that matters isn't it?;)

I don't even shoot one of these guns!!!

dutchie

Barracuda
02-12-2009, 03:12 PM
If i could find a new one I would want one of the ruger SS overunders with the 26 inch barrel they had a couple of years ago.

pattern master
02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
f 350 Dont worry my ferrari wont jam up and as far as I having to borrow you "PINTO" I have a few too. When your super x jams or beats you up to much I am sure we can find another Beretta for you to shoot. As far as penis evny is concerned I am not lacking in this area.PGK you said earlier that you would not buy a plastic or composite junk only wood. I too own lovely guns with wood they have a place also in the hunting world. Just not mine. I hunt far too often in the fields and marsh for wood as it will look like you know what after one season. How is the waterfowling in 7-15. I hear canada goose hunting is really good in vanderhoof. There is even a guide up there I believe his outfit is called honkers. we heard about this when we were up moose hunting.

Crazy_Farmer
02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Wing and Trout Outfitters is the name I believe. He is actually a member on this site but doesnt post much but I think he reads most of the posts.

I know a bunch of local guys who went up on a guided hunt and really hammered them. Limits real quick. Its pretty much the first food and stop the birds make once they're out of alaska.

Qwa-honn
02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I didn't even know that there were any waterfowel outfitters in B.C.

Crazy_Farmer
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Well theres also kent outdoors if they're still doing it Johnny. Those are about the only two I can think of. Never understood the outfitter licenses. You have to hold a junior license for so long before you can go on your own. Well what if theres only two of their kind in BC, and you'd have to work for either to be able to guide, what if they're not hiring, you're kindof screwed.

Hell I could guide for ducks from opener to dec almost everyday the ducks were that thick this year. I'd guess it wouldnt matter if you guided big game or waterfowl for your junior license you'd still be able to do what you wanted after.

Qwa-honn
02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't think Jerry is doing it anymore. If you look on his site there hasn't been anything new for a couple of years.

PGK
02-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Yup he hammers em. Gets exclusive permission on a field (locals think he pays off the landowners, who knows, nobody really cares, lots of land to hunt), hunts it once a week or less. Big stupid geese landing right on ya, from what I hear. The hunting here in PG isn't all that hot. Vanderhoof is a killing zone though, just go look for some of bartell's pics. They used to have some unreal shoots, and our first one together wasn't bad.

duckkiller
02-13-2009, 02:56 AM
you are trying to make Remmington sound like the Queen of England when you are going up against Alexander the Geat - Beretta and Benelli

as long as you know that you have the best, that is all that matters isn't it?;)

I don't even shoot one of these guns!!!

dutchie

good point!!!!

Killer

quackquackbang
02-25-2009, 06:53 PM
I like my Browning Silver!!!
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/quackquackbang/0041.jpg

HuntNHookSports
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Not much difference between the Browning and Winchester. The feathers are different but all of the guts appear to be the same.

Tuffcity
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
And then there is the time honoured Browning A5... king of the marsh amongst the auto crowd... :) Nearly 50 years old and still killin' stuff!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/double.jpg

shotgunjohn
03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
"Maybe you should try an Italian auto loader and you will understand the difference in price."what would you rather drive?" a Pinto(870) or a Ferrari(any Italian auto loader) me personally I am going for performance, looks and comfort and the pinto does not offer any of these options, its cut and dry you got to go for the Ferrari.

just my 2cents:lol:"

I think the comparison would be more a Chev Silverado 4x4 or a Fiat and I'll take my Chev hunting any day.

duckhunt
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
my dad has an extrema 2 and when we were duck hunting he couldn't seem to hit anything and he kept on complaining about it so i asked if i could try shooting a couple ducks with it and soon after a few ducks came in and i got 2 ducks with 2 shots, the extrema 2 is a wonderful gun light recoiling, swings nice and lines up easily and my dad has never had one jam yet. I shoot a Remington 870 turkey gun with the 23 inch barrel and modified choke and i shoot this gun fine it swings nice, lines up nice and have had only one jam due to a baptism in mud. its all personal preference. some really good duck and goose shells are clever mirage 2 3/4 inch #1 shot this is all i shoot at ducks and geese at distances out to around 50 yards and you cant beat the price, around $8.00 for a box of 25 shells. me and my neighbor have shot geese at 50-60 yards and dropped them like a sack of potatoes.

fowl language
03-04-2009, 09:10 PM
pattern,its to bad that dutchie has such a poor opinion of the super x, as i was thinking like yourself to invite him this weekend .but beings as there will be 2 super x guns there i dont think he could see himself shooting with such lowly guns ,so i think it should be just us killin snows this week in a private field full of them.....fowl

dutchie
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Well good thing for the 2 other SX's because they would be awfully lonley without thier brother the SX2 that is in my gun case!:biggrin:

dutchie

huntwriter
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Never understood the outfitter licenses. You have to hold a junior license for so long before you can go on your own. Well what if theres only two of their kind in BC, and you'd have to work for either to be able to guide, what if they're not hiring, you're kindof screwed.

Hell I could guide for ducks from opener to dec almost everyday the ducks were that thick this year. I'd guess it wouldnt matter if you guided big game or waterfowl for your junior license you'd still be able to do what you wanted after.

I’ve to agree with you on that one. I looked into becoming a guide for whitetails and turkeys, as I did in America, and found out that the guiding regulations here are the biggest joke I have encountered anywhere in the world except Europe.

It’s absolutely ridiculous what they demand just to become a guide and the cost is prohibitive. It would take years of work to get that kind of money back in again. Pure money grab that is all it is.

bearhunter338-06
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I can't aford a Ferrari and my pinto has never let me down

herefordsrock
05-22-2009, 01:24 PM
i think the remington 870 express in 3.5" is the way to go

mattchu_19
05-23-2009, 12:08 PM
the best gun for waterfowling is the one that kills birds.

SAVAGE300
05-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I like my cooey

gamehunter6o
05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
You may get you limit with just 1 shot.:shock:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/SharkinRN/Video/?action=view&current=PuntGun.flv

dutchie
06-04-2009, 11:49 AM

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/SharkinRN/Video/?action=view&current=PuntGun.flv

WOW... the good ol' american dream!

dutchie

Qwa-honn
06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
this thread is still going? lol

huntwriter
06-09-2009, 02:34 PM

I want a few of these.:eek:

gamehunter6o
06-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I want a few of these.:eek:

Rumour has it your a piss poor shot and may need a gun this size.:lol:

08-04-2009, 04:15 PM
did you get your awnser?

duckkiller
10-03-2009, 12:54 PM
How about that Maxus and Vinchi anyone seen one or tried one?

zaconb
10-04-2009, 02:26 PM
None of what's listed. An AYA SxS 10ga. 3 1/2":razz:.

I second that, wouldn't leave home without it!

TopGun
11-20-2009, 12:44 AM
I heard the maxus is junk.

Benelli FanBoy
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Lets look at this in another light... shall we?!

in Uraguay, when people are shooting 1000 shots a day killing doves ect... there are 1 of 2 brands that you will see in thier hands for that day...

Berreta or Benelli. NOT WINCHESTER, NOT REMMINGTON, NOT MOSSBERG.

none other then the Italian auto loaders. there is a good reason why. when one of these guns gets broken PROPERLY in they will continue to cycle any load, with perfection for 150,000 rounds then you start getting your problems.

The SX2 or the SX3 and Browning Gold are awsome guns but they don't cycle aswell when they are dirty... this is why Benelli and Berreta have that Niche market.

does winchester make a great waterfowling gun, YES... Do Berreta and Benelli make better ones, YES!

the argument about the 870 over the Extrema 2 is a mute point because the guns are actually on the oposite side of the gun shelf one is a pump and one is an auto.

A guy worth $10,000,000 will simpily not spend the money on a 870 because the quality that he wants is not there.

A guy with a limited budget will look at and use a 870 before the Extrema because the $400 for the 870 is affordable for the quality and the Extrema is not worth the $2300 to him.

If someone actually thinks a 870 is a better build gun then a Berreta or benelli, then you need to get your head checked, face reality and get on with it.

PS - I dont have any of the guns listed on here!! i just do the research and Regurgitate the facts

I agree. Also

Berreta is GAS POWERED.

Benelli is INERTIA DRIVEN.

A Benelli is easier to clean than a Berreta, because of less moving parts.

Berreta Group international owns Benelli.

Ive used both, and I own an SBE2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmlPAlC5Mr4
(As you all know, in North America there are advertising standards, so they could not legally lie in their commercial)

This video is longer but can show why Benelli has an edge over Berreta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCj0PCGGxtA&feature=related

rochford313
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
What about the parts availability dilemma with foreign makes?

overunder
12-13-2009, 03:50 PM
save the gold, browning silver is a far better gun

Chessieguy
12-15-2009, 08:41 AM
There is no doubt that the 870 is a workhorse of the water fowl world...used one for a good many years and would never dream of parting with it, far to much history in it.
But as one gets older and wiser...they reflect and say...why do I need to feel recoil and pump the shotgun, lets let the gun do the work.

For that reason the Xtrema 2 became the gun of choice...so far nothing bad to say about it, been flawless.

sparkes3
12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
punt gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer Sausage
12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
The best waterfowling gun?

I can't escape the truth! probably the 870. reliable,great design.:)

My choice? A browning cynergy 12 ga 3" brushed stainless black synthetic.:-D

of the choices on your poll why not include the browning maxxis!?

shadow1982
12-23-2009, 10:30 AM
IMO
Well i started hunting when i was 17, my father bought me an 870 this is 10 yrs ago, he also told me you should respect you gun like you will respect your family, if you and your gun do not have an understanding, you will never be able to shoot comfortably so after 10 years i can honestly say it is by far the best gun i ever shot, and as per reliability i have stood in rain for hrs and hrs and it has yet to rust or jam, well then again i clean the barrel everytime i go hunting and full clean once a month.
Last year my brother in law bought an extreme 2 and we have exchanged guns in the field i think 2 different times and we both find each others gun very uncomfortable to shoot from, so as per what gun is best for waterfoul... its not EXTREME 2 or 870 ITS THE ONE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE SHOOTING FROM

Go to the gun store and try differnt guns see what you feel most comfortable with, end of the day they all go BANG AND DROP THINGS,

HuntNHookSports
12-23-2009, 07:05 PM
My choice? A browning cynergy 12 ga 3" brushed stainless

I don't think that Browining has made a stainless Cynergy. Silver nitride receiver w/ chrome lined barrels maybe.

HailCall
12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I own 3 benellis I really like them and they are good unless you use light loads. The sx2 and sx3 are also good guns, I would stay away from a gas gun if possible lots of cleaning to keep running in frigid weather has been my experience, I do however love the old browning a-5 belgium made though, Good luck with your search I am sure many will answer with their favorite also. Seth

darrin6109
12-24-2009, 12:06 AM
this is a pretty loaded question (excuse the pun) its pretty much whatever shotgun one owns.

Benelli FanBoy
12-25-2009, 01:28 AM
I own 3 benellis I really like them and they are good unless you use light loads. The sx2 and sx3 are also good guns, I would stay away from a gas gun if possible lots of cleaning to keep running in frigid weather has been my experience, I do however love the old browning a-5 belgium made though, Good luck with your search I am sure many will answer with their favorite also. Seth

In my Super Black Eagle II trap and skeet loads cycle with no problem, for example 1oz. loads with a 7.5 size shot.

limit time
01-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Very interesting thread....alot of good info (sorta). I'm also interested in the sbe2 and the extrema, as for myself I shoot a Rem 1100 with the old 'o' ring style seal and a rock hard butt pad to boot. The truth is my shoulder does tend to ache after shooting a couple of boxes. Where could a person not just handle one of these guns but also shoot them??
thanks.

Benelli FanBoy
01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Very interesting thread....alot of good info (sorta). I'm also interested in the sbe2 and the extrema, as for myself I shoot a Rem 1100 with the old 'o' ring style seal and a rock hard butt pad to boot. The truth is my shoulder does tend to ache after shooting a couple of boxes. Where could a person not just handle one of these guns but also shoot them??
thanks.

If you go to the Kamloops Shotgun Sports club on Sundays, ask for Nour Baz, Ill let you have a few shots with the SBEII

www.kamloopsshotgunsports.com

wicket
03-14-2010, 05:45 PM
browning A5 no better autoloader ever made .....as a professional duck guide ive seen em all too.... quality and reliablity, works from plus 30 to minus 10 in rain sleet or snow which a benelli will not do due to being made from 2 different metals. think ill get off my soapbox now :-D oh yah one last thing...I love everyone of my 4 auto 5s more than my wife...just sayin

Qwa-honn
03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
baaa ha ha ha this thread is still going

Buck
03-15-2010, 10:17 AM
browning A5 no better autoloader ever made .....as a professional duck guide ive seen em all too.... quality and reliablity, works from plus 30 to minus 10 in rain sleet or snow which a benelli will not do due to being made from 2 different metals. think ill get off my soapbox now :grin: oh yah one last thing...I love everyone of my 4 auto 5s more than my wife...just sayin

I have personally scene A5' s freeze in minus 2 0r 3 and i don;t like a face full of water from that barrel cycling.

Benelli FanBoy
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
...I do however love the old browning a-5 belgium made though...

BELGIUM, not Japan. Browning is too cheap to keep making them in a European country. Benelli is still made in ITALY.

If I find an A5 made in Belgium, I would buy it right away, even though I know Benelli and Beretta make better shotguns.

Anyone with a Belgian made A5 will NEVER sell it

I have personally scene A5' s freeze in minus 2 0r 3 and i don;t like a face full of water from that barrel cycling.

It just proves you cant compare old technology, with new technology. Some ppl might turn a blind eye to the facts just to satisfy themselves. Has anyone else said A5 is the best? No the consensus is Beretta and Benelli

kamloopshunter
03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
870 Supermag

wicket
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
:-D after sinking your punt boat you might want to shake the water outta your gun if you are getting a face full after shooting it:) just riding ya.
wicket

wicket
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
BELGIUM, not Japan. Browning is too cheap to keep making them in a European country. Benelli is still made in ITALY.

If I find an A5 made in Belgium, I would buy it right away, even though I know Benelli and Beretta make better shotguns.

Anyone with a Belgian made A5 will NEVER sell it

It just proves you cant compare old technology, with new technology. Some ppl might turn a blind eye to the facts just to satisfy themselves. Has anyone else said A5 is the best? No the consensus is Beretta and Benelli

im always curious to know what is cheaper about the japan browning A5s ...you arent the only person i have heard this from. just curious what justifies the huge price of the benelli....i just dont get it i guess ive seen so many fail in the fall im not comfortable with them. More power to you or anyone who shoots their particular shotgun well be it a 870 or a purdy.....confidence and feel to each shooter mean more than price. again in my opinion. we have 6 benellis at the club i guide at the owner and his guests use and they are light and point well ...lol guess im just rambling now stuck here in S Ontario doh!

300win
03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Its like what many people have said on here : fit, reliability/ autoloading shotguns are sweet and the Italian made shotguns are by far a ferrari instead of a chev/ford/chrysler but for cost and reliability 870 remmie is your best bet. Also what are you using the shotgun for??????? Deer, waterfowl, upland game birds etc. I prefer pumps because in the field I want to be able to field strip my weapon and get back to shooting/ and if you can't take a little recoil then use a 20ga. IHMO!!!

dutchie
03-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I love how this thread is still going...

I also love how people are putting thier own guns as the best waterfowling gun! Shows true loyalty to what they own!

Dutchie

f0rbidden
04-09-2010, 09:35 PM

just my 2cents

I agree.
It's a good gun because it's cheap, it's the best selling gun because it's cheap. No doubt it's reliable (870), but there is flaws for the number of 870s i see with extracting problems.

The 1100 or 11-87 is a high maintainance gun, remington even sell the repair kit for the gas system off the shelf....

bearhunter338-06
04-10-2010, 07:28 AM
I have shot thousands of rounds through the 870 Wingmaster and the 1100. They are the 2 shotguns I used when I started trap shooting. I have never had a problem with jamming, extracting problems, or any other problem that people seem to have with these great guns. I have witnessed many other high end shotguns break, jam, open when shot, fall apart. There is nothing wrong with the Remington 1100's or the 870 Wingmaster's.

duckkiller
10-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I have been abusing my extrema 2 for 4 years now, thousands of rounds all weather types barely gets cleanedand it just wont jami have shot just about everything and this gun is the best bar none

Killer

Good Luck everyone and have a great opener

pattern master
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Nice pic of the snow geese in my drive way. Berretta all the way

Amphibious
11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
a Browning Silver Hunter is next on my list

32-40win
11-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I have had a BPS, good gun, dumb move to sell it, although I would likely have changed to a gun with multiple chokes some time or another after steel became mandated.
I've had a couple of 870's, still have a 3-1/2" waterfowler special, even used it this year one weekend as I grabbed the wrong gun case. worked just fine.
The guys I goosehunt with : 5 SBE's and one Extrema.

I have yet to see a problem on the SBE's, Extrema had an extractor pin shear,
Beretta sent him 3 new ones N/C.

I now have an SBE, but, I like the 870 as well, both are good guns.
I occasionally get the urge to use the CZ O/U also, and if I shoot birds I can use lead on, I take a Valmet 220. I'd still use the Valmet for ducks if I could.

Only reason I went to 3-1/2 was to use 1-3/8oz BB's on geese, snows and specks usually need longer shots than honkers once the sun is up higher.

mklaver
11-13-2010, 01:20 PM
The one you shot your last bird with....:-D
I am a brand new hunter and am enjoying my plain jane 870

Qwa-honn
11-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Have to go with the Benelli SBE2 I did a little test and didn't clean my gun last spring and it has worked without a hitch. I just cleaned it and it has that nice clunk sound again. That and Benelli is the only auto shotgun that is currantly made for left handed shooters

Dutch
11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
After 10 years my gold hunter finally let me down the safety jammed when a spring steel part fell out time to look at something else ,maybe not:wink:

duckkiller
12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Still no problems with my Beretta another 2000 rounds, the sight fell off had to put a new one on. Awsome gun

Killer

duckkiller
10-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Still has not jammed, why would you shoot a pump gun if you can get a reliable auto loader.

duckkiller
10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I have seen lots of problems with the sbe2, constant jamming, jam in the cold, jam in the mud, jam in the rain, kick like a mule, springs break! But if you only go out a couple of times in a season you might be okay, I would not trust it though.

fowlweather
10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
if you dont like recoil and you feel it when you are shooting at birds you are either a terrible shot and shoot everything at once, or just a pu55y and should shoot a 20 gauge.

i shoot an old 870 and a SX3, i cant really tell you if one is better.... IMHO just get the one that looks the best, they are all good guns, you just want it to look as good as it works

fowl language
10-19-2011, 08:03 AM
contray to fowlweathers sage advice, people that have shot competitively recoil will eventually develop a resistance to recoil..try and find a gun that fits you well rather then the look of the gun.fit allows you to keep your head on the stock will shooting,very important.if you can afford it try a semi automatic, as they have less recoil.if some one called me a pu55y for shooting an auto i would consider the source.....fowl

keoke
10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Mossberg 500 and a mossberg 930, look I have proof.http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/jbor23/2ca4329b.jpg

Beard
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I had a low budget for my first gun this year and went with an sxp ($420 i think?). I tried the 870 express as it was close in price and the sxp felt more comfortable for me so I went with that. It also had the synthetic stock but for me its just to get ducks and geese. I guess we will see how the reliability goes down the road but so good so far. I don't know if I'll need another gun, but I used my friends bps and I was a better shot with my sxp, maybe just the lightness factor or the way it seems to fit on my shoulder

TopGun
10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
if you dont like recoil and you feel it when you are shooting at birds you are either a terrible shot and shoot everything at once, or just a pu55y and should shoot a 20 gauge.

i shoot an old 870 and a SX3, i cant really tell you if one is better.... IMHO just get the one that looks the best, they are all good guns, you just want it to look as good as it works

Why do you make comments on things you do not now about? You obviously do not know anything about shotguns as you own a 870 and a sx3, one gun is outdated and the other is a feeble attempt to compete with the Italian designed guns. Do you even know anything about waterfowling!

FirePower
10-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Extrema2, SBE2, SX2, Browning Gold?

None of the above, it's the one that fits you best, simple as that. For me its my Remington 1100.

heyblast
10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
X2 on that FirePower.

Foxton Gundogs
10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
X3, sure miss my P350

finngun
10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
best shotgun is one that fits best to you shoulder and takes birds down... it can be pump- semi-auto side by side -ow-und- or whatever......usually gun you been practice most shooting and get used to be.. i like my wingmaster [old] but i like my valmet o-a...too but it is not for steel pellets..too bad.

Duck Tales
11-09-2011, 01:09 AM
I like my mossberg 500 series... cheap ,easy to clean ,reliable , long lasting and it will do the same as any other pump action out there... oh yeah did I say cheap , with the money you save you can buy a good set of waders from cabelas

duck stamp
11-25-2011, 08:29 AM
I would say the new Beneli Super Vinci

f350ps
11-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Why do you say that, because of it's long history?? K

TopGun
10-11-2013, 11:10 PM
I have to agree, I have been shooting one for two years and its been flawless. But it's f'n ugly!

Kudu
10-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Laydown blind - $160.00
Big Als Silos - $100.00 a dozen
Super x shells - $16.00 a box
Saunders traffic - $150.00

Franchi Affinity - Priceless...........

Foxton Gundogs
10-14-2013, 09:40 AM
I love my X2 but was looking for a back up and picked up a SX2 used I gotta say that suckah Kills crap dead is reliable (so far) and shoulders really nice. With its long range choke it has become my go to gun on bluebird days and has already accounted for a pile of geese this year.

Ranger95
10-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Its been said enough in this thread, but the 870 is the way to go.

limit time
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Its been said enough in this thread, but the 870 is the way to go.
It's good for the part timer'....

longshot
10-14-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm quite interested in the new Franchi Affinity... I like the style of the spring system and I'm a big fan of narrow forends and raised ribbed barrels.. anyone run one here? I have yet to hold one

biggyun68
10-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Just bought a Extreme2 to replace my 870: Have not got to hunt with the beretta yet: I do like shooting the Beretta over the 870 though:

Kudu
10-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm quite interested in the new Franchi Affinity... I like the style of the spring system and I'm a big fan of narrow forends and raised ribbed barrels.. anyone run one here? I have yet to hold one

Like I said above.... Franchi affinity - priceless....

Awesome shotgun, get your hands on one and you may find yourself coveting it.

TopGun
12-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Well said!

Dutch
12-06-2013, 05:31 PM
The old chev ford again but one thing I will say about autoloaders ,especially the new ones with KO is the lack of muzzle jump. That was the single biggest thing and really hit home shooting a 20. There is little or none , and the ability to aquire the second bird is astonishing when compared to O/U or pump guns. I really seen it in Argentina 300 boxes in 2.5 days :)

The Hermit
12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Wing and Trout Outfitters is the name I believe. He is actually a member on this site but doesnt post much but I think he reads most of the posts.

I know a bunch of local guys who went up on a guided hunt and really hammered them. Limits real quick. Its pretty much the first food and stop the birds make once they're out of alaska.

I met Chad at the WSSBC conventions for the past couple years... great guy, knowledgable, and charitable (offers up hunts for the WSSBC fund raiser. He and his family have also been featured on Wild TV I think it was Canada in the Rough. I plan to use his services next time I get a moose draw up his way.

The Hermit
12-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Total newbie speaking but in my TWO mornings duck hunting and my one time out for geese I've found that my cheapo Mossberg 835 Ultimag knocks them out of the sky pretty good even a long range... I am going to order myself a Limbsaver recoil pad to replace the rock hard butt it came with... ouch.

duckkiller
12-10-2014, 12:45 AM
This is a great post!

nano
12-11-2014, 08:56 PM

tell that to the pile of ducks from this season