PDA

View Full Version : Calls

Remington
10-25-2005, 02:49 AM
What kind of calls do you guys use for ducks/geese? How many diffrent ones do you usually use in the field?

I use a Faulks WA-11 for ducks and A PS Olt 800 for geese. Only two calls I carry.

todbartell
10-25-2005, 03:24 PM
I got a Quaker Boy goose call which I don't care for all that much, and a Knight & Hale twin reed duck call, which sticks when wet. Also carry a K&H crow call...

Dano
10-25-2005, 05:10 PM
I use a Yentzen double reed duck call and an old Lohman stubby barrel goose call (was my dad's). My hunting partner has an old Olt single reed duck call and an Olt goose call (which I really like the sound of).

Dano

redlegdrake
10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
I carry several. The Duck Commander Original Reacher (open water), Mallard Drake (confidence call), and Gadwall Drake. A Haydel's DR-85 (soft calling), W-81 (wood duck), and MP-90 (pintail/widgon). A Echo open water wood (Back up). Several others to mix things up a little. As well as 2 goose call one is a Primose shaved reed and a Rich-N-Tone flute. I carry three lanyards one timber lanyard with my sofe and easy calls, I also use it on small wetlands that are closed in and were your line of sight is limited. Then a open water lanyard for lakes rivers and fields. Then the last one has my goose calls as well as a mallard for just in case. To much for some but I like to have the right tool for the job. I also like to know what the people that hunt close to me us and try to use something diffrent than what they use. Maybe just paranoia but I dont like to put out decoys in even numbers either.

Tarp Man
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I am just learning, so I picked up two cheap Lohman calls. (One duck - mallard I think, and one goose). Does anybody use the Primos calls? I was looking at them at Hub's Sports today. I am trying to figure out if the $30-40 dollars is worth it.

Dano
09-11-2006, 11:37 PM
I started with a Lohman single reed. It had the stubby barrel and although I had good success, I really like the sound of double reed calls.
No matter which call you get, you have to learn how to use it for the best results. You may find you have a long range call, short range or even close range. Some will work at all distances if you blow softer.
Hopefully Ian adds to this, we talked calls a few months ago and he had some good advice (but I still haven't bought another call)... I was given a new reed for the Yentzen the other day. A triple reed and I think it sounds pretty good!
Dan

Gunner
09-12-2006, 08:09 AM
I use a Cache River Duckall(acrylic from Arkansas) for Mallards,and the Foiles Staight Meat Honker for geese.On the Praieries I use the Haydel Spec call,and the Foiles Cackler.

Bow Walker
09-12-2006, 10:36 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_121.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA) Always went out with just two calls.........one a mallard call, and the other a widgeon call. Mallards seem to have confidence about coming in to a set that has about a third widgeon decoys.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_121.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)

Ian F.
09-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Primos Yo-Sista
Primos wench (best cheap duck call going)
Sean Mann double trouble acrylic (SA Weeeet!)
Sean Mann Eastern shoreman flute

That's what's on my lanyard and soon to be joined by a high roller for sprig-widgeon and teal and a Quackhead snowgoose call..

All calls have the potential to work well, it's the practice part that changes everything. I'm definetly in need of some practice as calling for black ducks is not the way to fill your limit.

Can't wait to try and talk to some mallards again!

Very best,

Ian

shoot to kill
09-12-2006, 12:52 PM
For geese, the Primos #811, I believe, flute style call is the best I have used. They are available at Hub Sports last time I was there. For ducks, the old school scotch duck call. I also like the yo sista call from Primos, but they take a little practice to get used to.

dave
09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I started using a JJ Lares duck call last fall and liked it so much, I bought a second one as a spare.

Dano
09-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I started using a JJ Lares duck call last fall and liked it so much, I bought a second one as a spare.

Dave hunts near my spot and his call does sound pretty good! He does need more decoys though!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually Dave, I may need another boat to haul out the equipment this season. I purchased those Greenhead Gear mallard decoys back in june and Gerry from the trap club offered me a deal on 18 magnum mallards and some regular inflatable mallard decoys. You better get those birds in on the first pass because they won't be coming back your way once they get to us!:lol:
Might get out blind building this weekend....
Dano

dave
09-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I love it more gear, bigger boat, the cycle continues. Sounds like, I'm going to have to pull out the calls and practice up a little. Hopefully with all the trap shooting in the off-season the ducks will only get one pass. :lol:

The boys and I will be out chasing blue grouse this weekend. After that we will have to see about getting out and setting up some blinds.

Tarp Man
09-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Well I picked up the Primos Goose Flute from Hub's before the weekend and it seemed to work pretty well with a rookie caller spitting in the end! Didn't see any geese within range, cause they all seemed to be over on the north side of the river over Dewdeny and Deroche. I'm gonna have to go over there and check out the fields we used last year. But I recommend the Primos Goose Flute. ($29.99 at Hub's) It sounded pretty good with my buddy and I calling together except for the occasional constipated goose yelling out!

Tarp Man
10-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Any opinions on Primos' duck calls? I just bought a Primos "the Hag" call. Waiting for another, the Primos "Wench" call. Anybody suggest any others? I plan to make quite the racket here in condo hell!

Ian F.
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Tarp,

I have 3 or 4 of theirs and think in the less then $30 U.S. range they can't be beat! I have a wench, Yo Sista and high roller and use them all. The wench is one of "the standard" duck calls, right up there with a yentzen, and olt, but I think the wench is duckier, but I like em really growly and raspy..

The trick to calls is learning to use them correctly, classic craftsman, not the tools thing.

Very best,

Ian

Tarp Man
10-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I finally got the calls in the mail, $30 CAN for the two calls to my door from ebay. The Wench came with an instructional tape, and after a bit of practice, it sounds pretty good for a rookie caller on the end. The Hag call is a bit lower tone and raspier. We will have to see how the ducks like it, but I think I prefer the Hag over the Wench. Adding that to the low tone call of my Lohman wood call, it will sound interesting to say the least. I will post once I get out with them in the field.

Jonathan

wetcoaster
01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Got my first call in the stocking this year. It's a widgeon whistle anybody use these effectively.

I am going to pick up a goose and quacker call as well. I went out with a great caller this year and I couldn't believe the results I need to learn this craft. The guy was turning ducks that I could hardly believe heard it they were so far away.

HuntNHookSports
01-16-2007, 08:49 PM
This was my first year with a drake whistle. Very effective, easy to use, and works great on mallards, widgeon, pintails and teal.
I also carry The Wench (easy to use, great feeding chatter), Phat Lady (makes nice quack), teal call (soft high quick quacks), and wood duck call (fun noises)...all from Primos. As well as Knight and Hale goose flute which has turned in it's share of geese.
I practice talking to ducks and geese in the summer when I am fishing.