PDA

View Full Version : Marinade back steak in Coka Cola?

gamehunter6o
02-01-2009, 01:03 PM
On a cooking program, the "guest cook", who incidentally was a politition, said he marinades back steak off rutting stag in Coka Cola for 3hrs and it's as tender as a yearlings on the barbecue.
I'm sceptical when it comes to political utterancess.
Has anyone tried it?

Ddog
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
my friend has done it and he loved it, says if it is left to long though it kinda went to soft.

i just stick with the regular stuff like garllic, lemon juice, basil, beer, alcohol, any kind of acidic fruit or veggie will tenderize meat. not to mention the booze.
however, a stinky ol rutty buck i have never had to deal with so i cant help on that part.

todbartell
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
no wonder it tenderizes it, it will dissolve it within days :lol:

Dirty
02-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I watched one of those picture videos over time where Cola dissolved a penny.

Ddog
02-01-2009, 03:40 PM
In a science study i was involved in we used several different pops along with water and some other stuff, long story short. Cola didnt do any more damage than the water did after a certain length of time., however the Cola did do the initial damage faster, but it did not dissolve the subject.

spreerider
02-01-2009, 04:34 PM
the ph of pop is below 3 so its very acidic, but the acid in pop is carbonic acid, created by Co2 being added to water, the Co2 offgasses as the pop bubbles especially if you put something reactive in it, IE chalk or some soft metal,
after the pop is completly flat its ph ends up around 5-6 still acidic but way less.
The pop can only disolve the amount of material that can be disolved into the water that makes up the pop thats why it only disolves as much as water just the acid speeds the process up.

Charlie
02-01-2009, 04:45 PM
the ph of pop is below 3 so its very acidic, but the acid in pop is carbonic acid, created by Co2 being added to water, the Co2 offgasses as the pop bubbles especially if you put something reactive in it, IE chalk or some soft metal,
after the pop is completly flat its ph ends up around 5-6 still acidic but way less.
The pop can only disolve the amount of material that can be disolved into the water that makes up the pop thats why it only disolves as much as water just the acid speeds the process up.

One of Coca Cola's main ingredients is Phosphoric Acid. A much stronger acid than carbonic which is probably in there as well.

newhunterette
02-01-2009, 05:08 PM
somehow am a little skeptical about using a product that can remove motor oil from the driveway on my venison.

I will stick to my marinades and regular standards of seasoning, but thanks the same for sharing the information :)

Pete
02-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Tried it >>>>>>>liked it

greatwhitehunter
02-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I tried, did not really like it. Gives the meat a "sweet" taste.
I did not find it made it tender...er.

wsm
02-01-2009, 07:32 PM
coke and a squeezed kiwi juice. tastes great. if it was to sweet you left it to long

cwocarsten
02-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I prefer to use the Coca Cola with my rye to merinade my brain.

BigBanger
02-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Thats funny , me to .

Johnnybear
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
I know guys that use Cola in their marinade for smoked fish. That is as far as I would go with using it in any cooking. I too prefer to use other marinades and spices for my game meat. Talk to some Mexican's as they worship the stuff apparently.