PDA

View Full Version : Archery Technique

Dirty
01-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I am a self admitted crappy shot with my compound bow. I guess admitting the problem is the first step. I used to be a lot better when I was younger, but for some reason I have really become a terrible shot over the years.

My main problem is that I have a hard time holding up on the target. I always want to drop down below the target. It isn't a muscle problem, I have strong back, arm, and shoulder muscles. I believe it is a serious technique problem that has developed. I also had a problem with pulling to the right of the target (I am a right hand shot). However, I attributed this to the way I was pulling back the bow. I started focusing on the muscles I was using and focused on using my back to pull the bow and keep straight on the target. I noticed that back tension and head position play a slight roll. What can I do to improve my technique so I do not suffer from dropping down off the target, or having to pull up on the target. Due to work and school I am not really prepared to go to my club and get some professional advice. However, hopefully in the near future I can.

PS- When is the online target shooting thread going to start up again, I need motivation?

Ambush
01-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Put your target with the center at eye level. Stand back five feet and shoot with your eyes closed. Don't even think about where you hit the target. Do this several times at the beginning and end of your session.

Easily done in the basement or garage. Think only about relaxing everything and your form. Don't force it, relax it.

If you are really struggling, you can go so far as to have a partner trigger your release for you while you have your eyes closed and hold your form. [still talking bow shooting here]. That will let you feel how a good release should feel.

AND...think spring bear!!

Wild one
01-31-2009, 07:40 PM
x2 with Ambush

It does sound like a form problem get another archer to watch you shoot and see if they can pick up your problem. I find most who have problem with form have bad habits they do well shooting with out even knowing it.

PGK
01-31-2009, 07:50 PM
You have target panic. Take an 80cm target, cut the yellow out of the middle and glue it to a piece of cardbcoard. 10x per day, pick up your bow and hold your pin in the middle of the yellow, from about 10y away. Do it for a month or two, and you should be fine again. Target panic sucks.
That, and if you're slumping low, I'm willing to bet you need to work on your bow arm. My target panic was always high, when I found my arm drooping low, it was because of muscle fatigue. Hit the weights :mrgreen:

Dirty
01-31-2009, 08:12 PM
I bench 250 for sets, I don't need to work on my muscles. I think it is a technique problem, perhaps target panic.

Bow Walker
01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Dirty - try doing what Ambush said. It's called Blind Bale shooting. Forget the target. Just concentrate on proper form and technique. Blind Bale shooting is excellent for 'training' muscle memory.

Also try holding the shot for up to 30 seconds before releasing the arrow.

Eagle1
02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
go check this out.
www.alansarchery.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
go to side bar "target panic" lots of info there.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
lots of Info here ..

I actually tried a techniqe that Micheal Braden taught ... and it seemed to work with me bout of Target Panic or TP .... (I need TP for my Bunghole...hehehehehehehehehe) sorry 'bout that .. the Beavis & Butthead in me got the better of me for a second ..

draw with your eyes closed , get comfortable and set .. open your eyes and hold on a spot for 30 secs and then let down ... I worked up to 25 reps of this a day starting from 2 ..I must hold on that spot for 30 secs ... its best to have someone there with you to time so you are only focusing on the spot and not the time. its also important to not let the arrow fly for this drill

Another thing to do for a while is to get rid of your pin and get either a cross hair or ring ... the reasoning behind this is that most people get it stuck in their head that they must see what they intend to shoot ... a pin covers your point of impact .. a ring surronds your target and ideally you want to the impact to be in center of the ring ... a cross hair is just smaller aiming device .... which reminds me of another techniqe to battle TP ..taught by George Ryals IV (i think... fairly certain)
take away the DE in device you get "VICE".... take off your sight completely and shoot instictivly ... for a while in practice sessions this will make certain that you are set and anchored properly and teach you not to rely on the sight pin therefore when you put it back on the theory is there that you wont consciencely see it and you will put the pin where it needs to be and you will "see right through it" to the point of impact.

Its also important at the end of your training session to launch a few(6 max) arrows with you bow all together and hit some x-rings to feel "gratified" .. Its a feel good thing that has been proven time again by many sport pshycologists

Dirty
02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I think I am suffering from acute Target Panic Syndrome. I found this website.

http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/TargetPanic/TargPan.html

I have a psychological disorder. I need a therapist, does anybody want to be my therapist. I foresee a lot of practice in eliminating this problem.

Ambush
02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Dirty, the problem with a lot of today's kids is that their parents read way too many books on parenting.

The more you read, the more you will realize that your problem is gigantic and insurmountable. You may as well resign yourself to failure.

Close your eyes, relax and let the arrow be free. [ ahhhummh...ahhhummmh]

The Hermit
02-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Are you using a release or fingers?

Dirty
02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I use a release. What is the proper way to set up the length of a release. It feels comfortable to me as it is right now.

PGK
02-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Start using your middle finger as your trigger. It helps

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I think I am suffering from acute Target Panic Syndrome. I found this website.

http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/TargetPanic/TargPan.html

I have a psychological disorder. I need a therapist, does anybody want to be my therapist. I foresee a lot of practice in eliminating this problem.

I've heard cold-fx works?

Dirty
02-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I've heard cold-fx works?

That only helped Kechika with his premature ejaculation.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
I bench 250 for sets, I don't need to work on my muscles. I think it is a technique problem, perhaps target panic.

Spend more time working on the back, less on the chest.

In all seriousness, if you aren't shaking you might have a problem with draw/anchor point. Other than that I can't help. I shoot an old clunker and it works fine as long as I'm consistent and relaxed. When I get tired it all goes to hell.

Dirty
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I think I have Parkinsons Disease.

GoatGuy
02-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I think I have Parkinsons Disease.

just get nervous around all the cute boys.

willyqbc
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
you have a PM

Chris

Dirty
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
just get nervous around all the cute boys.

There's only farm animals around where I shoot! Whoops, I have said too much already.

GoatGuy
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
There's only farm animals around where I shoot! Whoops, I have said too much already.

It's legal in some states. Whatever fuel fills your tank.