PDA

View Full Version : Uhmmmm.....2" or 4".....

.308win
01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
What would be the biggest difference in 2" or 4" vanes? Does arrow length and vane length have to correspond to one another? Long arrow= long vanes, Or is it just personal preference?

Perry

Bow Walker
01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Perry, I've been shooting 2" Blazers on both my target and hunting arrows for years. Both work very well. This year I've gone to a custom-cut mini vane, of my own making, for my target arrows. They shoot very, very well.

So, no, it doesn't matter - it's just a matter of choice. What works best with your setup. That's the question.

Chuck
01-31-2009, 09:32 PM
So, no, it doesn't matter - it's just a matter of choice. What works best with your setup. That's the question.[/QUOTE]

Do I hear a joke in the offing?

Bow Walker
01-31-2009, 09:37 PM
We're building up to a funny - sooner or later. But advice like that is always given seriously and hopefully taken the in the same manner.

Ddog
01-31-2009, 09:40 PM
personal preference, i went to 2" blazers 3 yrs ago and i love em. plus i think they look really cool being so small. Also they work well with my setup.
Bow Walker :
This year I've gone to a custom-cut mini vane, of my own making, for my target arrows.
how small are those?

Bow Walker
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Ddog - they're a bit smaller than the 1.5" Blazers, but they are very close in profile.

.308win
01-31-2009, 11:18 PM
We're building up to a funny - sooner or later. But advice like that is always given seriously and hopefully taken the in the same manner.

Can't wait for the funny!!:-P And yes, i take all info seriously, especially from guys who have experience!!! thanks a bunch guys......man only a couple more months and the money's in the good.....can't wait to get shooting!!!.....again thanks appreciate it!!!

Perry

Ron.C
02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Shorter, lower profile vanes are lighter, so if your really trying to get your arrow weight down to a minimum in an effort to pick up more speed, they will help a bit.

But larger vanes will stabilize an arrow quicker than shorter ones. And if your bow is not tuned perfectly the larger vanes can help a bit. You will really see this with broadheads.
I also think that some of the shorter vanes seem louder, like the arrows have more of a whistle to them.

I still prefer to shoot 4" vanes for hunting because I know my broadhead tipped arrows fly perfect with them. The larger vanes are also easier to see in flight and in turn easier to see hit the animal. A very imortant thing to see when bowhunting.

Eagle1
02-01-2009, 10:04 AM
The thing is "Blazers" and the like have gone to a higher profile,shorter vane for the control. 4" are lower profile, but longer for control.
A lot is marketing and with the smaller broadheads they can use a shorter vane, higher profile, the problem is you got more chance at fletch contact with the higher vane, even on drop aways if they are not set up right. But it all comes down to" your" choice.
I've never weighted the 2" blazer and a 4" duravane but I bet they are almost the same weight.like I say "your choice"
I still use 4" for hunting, less chance of fletch contact and 1.8" 3-D Duravanes for 3-D and target, no broadheads don't need the rear control the same.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-01-2009, 10:19 AM
A poorly set up rig will perform better with 4" vanes ... Larger surface area mean greater stabilization properties
a larger Vane will stabilize more quickly ...
there are draw backs .. a larger vane will be effected more by a cross wind

.308win
02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
So being that I'm a new bow shooter, i should stick with 4" vanes!!? Thanks again guys appreciate it!!

Perry

Bowzone_Mikey
02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Most do .. I did for a long time ...

happygilmore
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
What would be the biggest difference in 2" or 4" vanes?
Perry

4 - 2 = 2 the answer is 2 inches :tongue:

Now most women have been told 4-2= 8, they really have no concept of lenth. :shock:

.308win
02-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Sweet, theres the funny!!!:lol: Thanks again guys!! And thanks for the funny happygilmore!!

Perry