PDA

View Full Version : choke

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 08:02 PM
what choke do you have in your 12g? I was cleaning mine today and took the choke tube out of my Browning BPS and it was a IMP CYL-Steel

is this good? what are you using for a choke?

Barracuda
10-23-2005, 08:11 PM
improved cyl is for close range less then 40yds (alot less with steel) you would want a modified or full choke

todbartell
10-23-2005, 08:12 PM
I got Invector Plus tubes in my BPS, the one I've used 99% of the time is a Mod Steel/IC Lead seems to work well, I like an open pattern for geese

Barracuda
10-23-2005, 08:20 PM
http://www.trulockchokes.com/chokeinfo.asp
http://www.mossberg.com/anatomychoke.htm

I on my 870 i use "imp cyl' in dense cover , if it is a bit open or a grab bag of situations i use "modified" (modified is kinda the best all around), and if i expect to be throwing them down range i actually use my "improved modified" tube.

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 08:21 PM
omg so its been the wrong choke! i never even thought to look until today! its been in the gun since i bought it yrs ago...

Firebird you agree full choke..? i have one that came with the gun

thanks guys...this may change things in the field now!

Dano
10-23-2005, 08:33 PM
I've always used modified choke even with lead shot years ago. I shoot fairly close for the most part.

What length barrel have you got Dan? Mine is 28 but a friend has a 30" full that he had reamed out to modified and he seems to hit the birds a little better at long range.
Dan

Marc
10-23-2005, 08:36 PM
BChunter steel shot does not like a full choke especially anything bigger then #3 use a modified choke if you've got one.

Marc.

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
30 inch barrel...

most shots for us at the field are 30-40 yards...what should i do...leave it with the imp cyl or go full?

Dano
10-23-2005, 08:42 PM
BChunter steel shot does not like a full choke especially anything bigger then #3 use a modified choke if you've got one.

Marc.

I agree.
Dano

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
this is the one i want to use..the full choke one...

on my choke tube case it says with the three notches on the tube means:
with Lead Shot M=Modified
with Steel Shot F*=Full

the (*) = when two tubes are listed for a given steel pattern, use the more open choke listed when shooting high velocity, larger shot size loads

does this help...

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 08:46 PM
i have no modified choke...i'll buy one then

thanks

todbartell
10-23-2005, 09:13 PM
if you're shooting 30-40 yards then a FULL STEEL/MOD LEAD would be a good pick

most of my shots on geese over decoys is right off my boot laces when using the goose chairs, so I use Modified Steel in my BPS.

when hunting out of a blind I dont bother to change, and it seems to still work :tongue:

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 09:59 PM
thanks Firebird...

rrfred
10-24-2005, 08:57 AM
hi- most people have too much choke in their shotguns, steel works better going thru as little choke as is needed for good patterns at the intended range. i run with modified (lead/full -steel) and imp cyl, never use the fullchoke anymore in my scattergun my .o2 cheers

Remington
10-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Hmmmm.... Ive always used Full choke in my shotguns with both lead and steal. I use a #2 steel for ducks/geese. I'll try switching the choke to modified and see if I notice any improvement this week.

If this is all true though, why is it recommended to use a full or super-full for shooting turkey's?

Chris,:)

Fred
10-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Isn't it still legal to shoot Turkey with lead?? Fred

todbartell
10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
it's not a migratory game bird, now is it? :-P

BCHunter
10-24-2005, 06:03 PM
i'm getting confused...full or not? will i ruin my gun ...like i've been told

Remington
10-24-2005, 06:36 PM
True its not a migratory bird, however they still fly and are comparable in size to a goose. Given most people will say "you shoot turkey's on the ground", but I know of people from this last season shooting them out of the sky. Ive shot 3 1/2" #2 steel loads and #4 lead loads with both full and super-full chokes, I didnt notice much diffrence.

But I'll try switching chokes this week when I get out, maybe I'll end up hitting and killing more ducks than usual. No harm in trying to improve the kill ratio. Would you still use a #2 or go with a #4 for modified choke and 3" shells?:mrgreen:

todbartell
10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
a turkey can be shot with lead legally, and should be shot with lead shot...steel isnt as lethal (unless you're kidding yourself)

BCHunter,

if the choke tube is MODIFIED LEAD/FULL STEEL, it is perfectly safe to shoot steel shot through it. My friend has a Remington 1100 semi 3" 12 gauge with a fixed full choke (meant for lead) and he's shot thousands of steel loads through it, and pulled down more birds than I care to share. :o

Try going out and patterning your shotgun with the shell you're hunting with. Bring different chokes and try then at, say, 40 yards. Most pellet #'s within a pie plate size target is the one you should have screwed into the end of your shotgun when you're in the field.

BCHunter
10-24-2005, 06:48 PM
thats what I'll do Firebird, try both on a sheet of cardboard

Remington
10-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Never said Steel was more lethal than lead, I blame half my cripples on Steel shot:lol: . Everyone knows lead is softer than steel and will generally kill more birds shot for shot. What Im saying is I dont see a diffence between the two as far as patterning goes.

It makes sense and I understand that a modified choke with a smaller shot will spread more causing more kills for closer shots, But there again who can't hit a bird from 15- 20 yards away no matter what choke you use? For the longer shots or flyaway shots I don't think it'll have enough to reach out and touch them. I don't believe Im the only one on here who successfully uses Full choke with #2 loads.

I think what your trying to say is a more open choke with lighter loads is more forgiving for those who can't aim as precisely with full choke at shorter distances.:cool: :biggrin:

todbartell
10-24-2005, 08:01 PM
But there again who can't hit a bird from 15- 20 yards away no matter what choke you use?

I miss more birds off the end of my muzzle than I do at 40 yards, which is about the effective range of #2 & BB steel loads.

I shoot a Modified choke which gives me a more open pattern at normal ranges shooting over dekes (20-30 yards), yet still has enough density to pull birds down at 40 yards.

BCHunter
10-24-2005, 10:05 PM
check this out....

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/images/chokegraph.gif

todbartell
10-24-2005, 10:14 PM
good diagram if you're hunting with lead shot

I'm gonna screw in the MOD LEAD/FULL STEEL choke in my BPS and try it tommorow, will see if I can notice a difference...

BCHunter
10-24-2005, 10:19 PM
thank you

what are you comparing it too...IC & MOD LEAD/FULL STEEL choke?

Fred
10-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Thank you FB. I have lots of lead shot and an old Winnie single with a full choke. Steel is not in my future since I am not doing waterfowl any longer. Fred

todbartell
10-25-2005, 12:17 AM
I got three chokes

a) IC Lead / Mod Steel

b) Mod Lead / Full Steel

c) Full lead *not for use with Steel shot*

I'm heading to the range this week to sight in my 25-284, so I'll bring my 12 gauge with some paper plates and fire off a few rounds, some steel, some lead...will report back with the results. :grin:

Remington
10-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Went out this morning for a few hours, didnt seem to be much flying around. But I managed to get 3 with 3 shots and No cripples. 2 mallrds, 1 wigeon. I was using a modified choke with 3" #3 shot. However these shots were all within 30 yards and I still have my doubts that it'll work at 30-40+ yards. But it was an improvement for my close range.

:twisted:

redlegdrake
10-26-2005, 05:50 PM
The real deal is that steel needs a more open choke. It helps to open up the shot string. With a full lead choke and steel shot you dont get good coverage of your target. It bunches up the shot cone. This bunched up cone can couse you to miss many birds. This is the top reason people that over choke the gun miss birds. Remember we need 70% of our shot from the shell in a 30" circle. As well as good coverage over the entire circle. The best thing you can do is find a choke you like and then start trying diff shells trough it. Find a shell that works the best in your gun and with your choke. It takes time and lots of paper. One of the best things you can do is trade a few shells with friends that use diff brands of shells as well as shot sizes. Remember to keep the shot big enough to carry a energy load that will kill (two sizes bigger than you used in lead). If anyone want some links to a few places that have info on choke or patterns ect let me know I can pass on a few so you can get in the know about steel to.

todbartell
10-26-2005, 05:55 PM
I patterned my BPS 12 gauge this afternoon, fired at 11x8.5" computer paper

shells were Federal 3" 1-1/4 oz steel BB, Invector Plus choke tubes

Mod Steel/IC Lead
: 25 yards ~ 10 hits
: 40 yards ~ 6 hits

Full Steel/Mod Lead
: 25 yards ~ 17 hits
: 40 yards ~ 8 hits

I'm gonna switch from the Mod Steel choke I have been using mainly for the last 4 years to the Full Steel choke. It can't hurt...

BCHunter
10-26-2005, 06:36 PM
thanks for the report

Postal
10-30-2005, 05:08 PM
For waterfoul I'd seriously suggest the full choke. Just moved out here from Ontario and I'm not sure what the birds here are like, but back home you need to get as many pellets in them as possible because the feathers are so thick. I use a Berretta semi with fixed full choke and have no problems folding geese in excess of 40 yards.

I've always thought of anything less than full choke for those who are beginners or lacking in the vision department :)