PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Geese

Crazy.kayaker
01-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone. I'm planning on going down to Vancouver again but the trip down depends on a few things such as weather and money. Well I'm down I was hoping to take Mr. Friendly out goose hunting. I'm wondering where are some decent places to find them? I plan on doing some scouting so on Friendly's days off we can go out and any help on an area to look would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

CK

Mr. Friendly
01-30-2009, 08:32 PM
indeed, I'd like to accompany him with the hopes of grounding a goose or two. :)

also, I'm curious to know what the rules are concerning harvesting goose eggs in the wild. kosher or not-kosher?

bridger
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
have u considered hunting geese in the peace you can probably kill more up here accidently than on purpose in other parts of the province.

Crazy.kayaker
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
have u considered hunting geese in the peace you can probably kill more up here accidently than on purpose in other parts of the province.

I'd consider it but Mr. Friendly can't get away due to work as some of his co-worker(s) are on vacation during the entire spring season. So since he can't come to the ducks up here or anywhere else I figured I'd go down and do some weekend hunts with him. I'm the driver and a nice person.

Mr. Friendly
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
hey Bridger...problem lies more in the fact that I live in Vancouver and can't take any time off to get away to go that far during this particular season. :(

Dirty
01-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Dano usually does well in Pitt Marsh from what I have seen in his posts on here. You might want to try there if you have access to a small boat.

Marc
01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Dano usually does well in Pitt Marsh from what I have seen in his posts on here. You might want to try there if you have access to a small boat.

Has the Pitt melted yet? I live on the island and a lot of the lakes are still frozen here so I can just imagine what it's like over there.

Crazy_Farmer
01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I plan on doing some scouting

Well thats the best plan of attack right there. Just keep driving and scouting till you find some, late season, dont worry too much about large corn fields, try to find smaller grass fields, geese are in these alot more during late season becuase everythings been picked through the corn fields and after rain/freeze/rain mud and muck, geese dont like to eat the rotten/toxic corn anymore, whereas theres alot to eat in a grass field. Doesnt mean they wont come to corn fields if you have decoys but the majority will be in grass fields from now on.

I would venture a guess that by the time the season opens back up, most everything should be thawed out, including pitt marsh.

sparkes3
01-31-2009, 08:17 AM
not kosher

Dirty
01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Has the Pitt melted yet? I live on the island and a lot of the lakes are still frozen here so I can just imagine what it's like over there.

It will probably be unthawed pretty soon. The Fraser still had some chunks in it when I crosse it in Agassiz.

Brent376
01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
what's the definition of "unthawed" does it mean frozen?

Crazy.kayaker
01-31-2009, 10:09 PM
yes. My dad has had fun messing with the emotional status of the managers where he works with that word. Everything is unthawed in the freezers.

So when I get my plans concreted is there anyone down there who would help me out by showing me around.....vancouver is like a different planet to me. Give me a FSR and I'm good to go give me a city and I'm in trouble.

02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
anyone know how frozen the pitt marsh is?
thinking of taking a canoe out there on thursday with the girlfriend.

possible?

Malley Whacker
02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Collecting goose eggs in the wild NOT ALLOWED