PDA

View Full Version : Finding Mulies

Foxer
01-24-2004, 05:30 AM
Awright - here's a question for ya...

While I love to go back to familiar areas (hey, it's the best way to hunt) I also love to explore new areas. Over the years, we've developed a kind of 'routine' for scouting on the fly and figuring out a new area. There are things that seem to be always present when you find deer, geographic and water features for example, as well as other clues that give away what's going on locally.

It takes a couple of days to figure an area out. I'm curious, does anyone else have a 'system' for quickly figuring out what's going on in an area? Or any things that are a dead giveaway to you? (no- running over one doesn't count). :) Or does everyone pretty much stay put year after year?

friendlyfisher
01-24-2004, 04:07 PM
i look for fresh tracks then i look for tracks with th feet in them and then i know there's game around!!!! :lol:

todbartell
01-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Cover lots of ground looking for tracks, then look for concentrations of tracks, then look for feeding/bedding areas nearby... :idea:

renegade
01-25-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm no expert on mulies but to find whitetailed deer in new areas I look for "sign". It may be good to drive cut blocks and such pre-season and get out and look a lot. I think if you find their sign there should be some nearby. Hunting would probably be best done from high vantage points and glassing large areas since you terrain lends itself to this. It doesn't hurt to talk to others..logger...farmers....biologists...etc

Mulie_Hunter
09-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Go out in about 3 inches of snow that's usually not enough snow to push animals out of a area .but it is enough for you to see whats going on (look for tracks, beds and rubs etc) but as friendly fisher said look for feet in the tracks too.lol

Steeleco
09-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Cover lots of ground looking for tracks, then look for concentrations of tracks, then look for feeding/bedding areas nearby... :idea:

Yep, lots of work covering new area on foot, then when you think you've got it figured out. "Wait for lady luck to shine on you"

willyqbc
09-27-2004, 09:06 PM
i try and find some big open fir stands (which aren't that common here) and then hunt them late in the year. In the snow, just follow the fresh tracks into the deep, dark, thick timber....amazing what you can find!!

Chris

bone-collector
09-27-2004, 10:16 PM
drift a river with poplar stands on it :wink:

swamper
09-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi Mulie. Welcome to the site. Just to let everyone know, this young fellow is one heck of a hunter. Over the past few years I have had the pleasure of hunting with him and his dad. He has some of the best hunting ethics I have ever seen in a kid. Just a short time ago he and his dad and another friend of theirs sealed the deal on 3 nice 4 point mulies. Looking forward to getting together with them again in November.
Chris H.

Mulie_Hunter
09-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Hope to see you in November. Mark

BCrams
09-29-2004, 09:10 PM
I just study maps and when driving ... I focus on the habitat and lay of the land and narrow it right down to the best place where a big buck should be hanging out and hunt it.

timbergiants
10-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Tonnes of scouting, lots of it ....... time afield is probably the best way to hunt.

Unfortunatly some people have all the time in the world or work in the field and others can afford little time and make the best of it by hunting historically big buck areas (Chilcotin for example)