PDA

View Full Version : crow

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 07:16 AM
EC BC Guide shooting at a crow...I'm blowing the call

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=1819&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Fred
10-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Couldn't have missed by much since he changed directions so quick! :mrgreen: Bet that Crow won't be so quick to listen to a stranger next time either! Fred

todbartell
10-23-2005, 06:18 PM
you gave the 'take him' call too early, the crow was still on the outside fringe of shotgun range :p

also after you shoot, lay on the distressed crow call, sometimes it'll turn em around :wink:

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 06:31 PM
i know i called it to early...it wasn't meant for him to fire just to let him know it was coming into him.

todbartell
10-25-2005, 08:20 PM
called in a crow this morning to about 20 yards straight at me, until he ran into a wall of #2 steel :mrgreen:

BCHunter
10-25-2005, 08:21 PM
rub it in even more! lol

ruger#1
10-25-2005, 09:14 PM
hey bc you need an owl on a post, and a hooter call then you have fun with the crows. you can also get a crow decoy from sir mailorder. my new russels catalog came today ill check it out latter.

todbartell
10-25-2005, 09:20 PM
a buddy and I shot 40 crows in about 3 hours one morning with 2 crow dekes and an owl deke with a black sock tied to its feet. wiggle wiggle with the fishing line...:mrgreen:

brotherjack
10-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Why would you hunt crows? Are they edible?

todbartell
10-25-2005, 10:42 PM
because they're pests and listed as so in the BC regs

brotherjack
10-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Ahh... ok.

Fred
10-25-2005, 11:24 PM
BJ, I live very near to 248th and 16thAve. At 16th and about 250th you would not believe all the flipping crows. From now til about March there will be litterally thousands of them roosting there. There are 2 or 3 more rookeries like that within a 4 mile radius. Consider the mess,the stink and the noise then add in the potential for disease! Unfortunately we cannot shoot them there. Fred

srupp
08-03-2020, 10:24 PM
Hmmm every morning at 5 am @ Sheridan lake crows invaded..loud obnoxious. .and the amount of shit on the truck and car..Grrrrrrŕrrrrrrrrrrŕrrrrrrrrrrr
Plenty of them..painin the ass nuisances. .
Srupp

Treed
08-03-2020, 11:38 PM
Hmmm every morning at 5 am @ Sheridan lake crows invaded..loud obnoxious. .and the amount of shit on the truck and car..Grrrrrrŕrrrrrrrrrrŕrrrrrrrrrrr
Plenty of them..painin the ass nuisances. .
Srupp

Srupp, they are damned smart. They probably figured out you have a hate on for them and come by to piss you off! Guy I went to school with in Kamloops raised a baby crow. It would land on the field when we were doing PE looking for him. Seriously, it could say ‘where’s Paul’. Not a big fan of crows but have a soft spot for Ravens. My cousin got a deer a few years ago because of a raven. It kept doing flips and cawing. He figured why not check it out. Hiked over and found a buck. The raven fed well that nigh. Saves my wife and me from running into a grizzly and a kill years ago. We were hiking down towards a creek in the west Koots, I had a nervous feeling heading down to the creek, then a bunch of ravens took off calling. We backed up the hillside and watched a grizzly down by the creek.

Jagermeister
08-04-2020, 08:09 PM
Crows, magpies and cowbirds. The scourge of songbirds. I whack them whenever I get the chance. Crows have very good facial recognition. They give my area a wide berth.

338win mag
08-04-2020, 10:27 PM
I don't shoot Crows, Ravens, with the exception of the odd annoying Magpie. I Like feeding the Crows and Ravens Mice and Voles that we trap around here, they wait for them to be put out for them. They hide where you can't see them then come down from some tree and get them when the coast is clear. We give them bread too and they dip the dried bread in water then eat it.

A real smart bird, I saw a thing where the guys who use hawks to kill Crows and Ravens...they taught the Hawks to catch the Crows... but not kill them, then they would let the Crows go free. The Released Crow would go back and tell all the other Crows to not go to that place.