todbartell
10-22-2005, 05:08 PM
12 gauge, 3" BB or BBB steel Hi Vel

28" Browning BPS

40-50 yard shots

4-6 dozen dekes usually set in a J or U shape

BCHunter
10-22-2005, 05:13 PM
if we are missing a tonne do you think we are shooing at them to close..our patterns are to small? too tight of a pattern?

Dano
10-22-2005, 05:26 PM
I have a remington 870 that only shoots 2 3/4" shells. It has a 28" barrel, modified choke.

I shoot Winchester HV steel shot size BB or #2. I prefer BB. If I had a 3" gun I would definately shoot BB all the time as I shoot #2 for a first shot sometimes becuase of a higher pellet count and I seem to drop more geese with a broken wing than anything else.
I usually set decoys in a "V" and I only have 15 (hunt over water). I have a buddy who has magnum goose shell decoys for field hunting and on the 2 occasions I went with him I think we put out about 4 dozen.
I try not to shoot over 50 yards and that longer distance would be an overhead shot. If you think they are too close, shoot sooner!!!;)

Crimson Viking
10-22-2005, 05:41 PM
If you are missing try a smaller shot size so you get more pellets in the pattern. Also when you are leading try to lead the head not the body. so even if you are too far ahead your pattern will still have a chance to hit the head area, and likewise if you are too far behind you still have a chance at the body.

Amphibious
10-22-2005, 08:05 PM
if we are missing a tonne do you think we are shooing at them to close..our patterns are to small? too tight of a pattern?

maybe you have poor shotgunning technique and need to spend some time at the trap range :neutral:

ex bc guide
10-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Not looking for insults, Just a little help, thanks to those who have.
Mike

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 06:58 AM
the trap range is a good idea...

Marc
10-23-2005, 07:27 AM
I find that it only takes a few times at the trap range to get back on track with shotgunning. It's amazing how much it improves your shooting on waterfowl and grouse.

I'd check your patter on paper as well at ranges from 25-40 yards to see what your pattern is doing. Some guys use paper plates with a black dot to help you aim to try out different loads at different range. Any plate with less then a dozen or so pellets throught it, or poor patter shouldn't be used for that given range.

Marc.

BCHunter
10-23-2005, 07:35 AM
thanks for the tip marc...ex and I talked about doing just that.

todbartell
10-23-2005, 06:19 PM
butt

belly

beak

bang

Amphibious
10-23-2005, 06:46 PM
* Aim for the Head/Neck (know your lead) Body shots waste meat, steel shot sucks, shot placement is key.

*birds land INTO the wind

*let them get CLOSE. CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE (30yrds and in)

*lots of time at the trap range. practice every year. know how your shotgun shoots

*pattern your loads, find the one that works best in your gun

*follow the bird untill it hits the ground, dead or not. when the goose hits dirt, aquire a new target. they might need a second shot, this method lets you hit them again in short order if need be.

GOOD LUCK.

todbartell
10-23-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't call a whole lot anymore, unless the birds turn away from our spread I'll hit them with some long moans. Lately I just let them come if they've spotted our dekes.

I set the dekes up with no real strict layout, just usually a U shape or J. Sometimes within the U or J they are in family groups of 3-6 dekes, spread out loosly if its warm and tighter if it's colder.

Low profile blinds or goose chairs work alot better than big permanent blinds, but different areas call for different techniques I suppose. For my area Im still learning what works, its a long process that dont really ever end. :-D