PDA

View Full Version : Juniper Berries

Iron Glove
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
A lot of the game recipes we have call for Juniper berries.
Anyone know where we can get them in the Lower Mainland, preferably Vancouver / Burnaby area ?
Last trip to the cabin we checked out a health food store in Princeton and although they did not have any berries, one of the ladies there suggested we simply pick our own. I think we have some in our cabin garden - will have to wait for the spring thaw to find them. :razz:
Anyone know if all Juniper plants provide the right berry or is there a particular plant ?

moosinaround
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Superstore usually carry exotic stuff like that! Give em a call!

newhunterette
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
A lot of the game recipes we have call for Juniper berries.
Anyone know where we can get them in the Lower Mainland, preferably Vancouver / Burnaby area ?
Last trip to the cabin we checked out a health food store in Princeton and although they did not have any berries, one of the ladies there suggested we simply pick our own. I think we have some in our cabin garden - will have to wait for the spring thaw to find them. :razz:
Anyone know if all Juniper plants provide the right berry or is there a particular plant ?

I get mine from health food stores as they carry them :) we have a great store here in Aldergrove but not sure about Vancouver and burnaby area for health food stores

Iron Glove
01-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Superstore usually carry exotic stuff like that! Give em a call!

Heh, heh, maybe in your part of the world but in the L.M. we have an "Ethnic" aisle in the Super Store, not a "Juniper Berry" one. :mrgreen:
I'll try the Health Food suggestion and see if we are lucky.

PS: Newhunterette, we tried your slow cooker moose a few weeks ago - turned out pretty nice, particularly considering it was a "mystery meat" roast found after years languishing at the bottom of the cabin freezer.

Angel
01-27-2009, 12:34 PM
WholeFoods and Capers should have them. Maybe even IGA marketplace or something like that,

MichelD
01-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I pick 'em when I see them while hunting.

They don't get used much around here, so a little film canister of them lasts years.

BiG Boar
01-27-2009, 12:59 PM
just substitute London Dry Gin. Its made from juniper berries I think. Plus you'll get a wicked buzz eating the meal.

Chuck
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
just substitute London Dry Gin. Its made from juniper berries I think. Plus you'll get a wicked buzz eating the meal.

Wondered when someone would come up with that one - LOL.

newhunterette
01-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Juniper Berry - History Lesson

Like many herbs and spices, juniper berries have been found in ancient Egyptian tombs, including Tutankhamum’s and were popular in ancient Greek and Roman cultures.
It is said that Olympic athletes were given juniper berries to increase their strength and stamina. Egyptian papyrus indicates that juniper berries were first used to treat tape worms, which is how they were likely introduced as a culinary ingredient.
When black pepper became very expensive, ancient Romans used juniper berries as a substitute. Early in their culinary history juniper berries were used as both air fresheners and in natural medicine. In the 1600s’, juniper berries were used to create gin – a tradition that continues today. The word ‘gin’ in fact means ‘juniper’ in both French and Dutch.
Juniper communis, is a shrub reaching approximately six feet high. Juniper berries are the only culinary spice that comes from a conifer.
Juniper berries are popular in German, Dutch, Scandinavian and Asian cuisines as the berries grow prolifically in the wild. The berries take two or three years to ripen and are hand-picked or gently shaken onto ground sheets.
Ripe juniper berries are a dark blue and relatively soft to the touch. They have no smell on their own, but once crushed their aroma is quite penetrating, with notes of pine and gin.

Juniper Berry - medicinal uses

Juniper berries are one of the main components of gin, which was originally made for medicinal purposes. Unripe juniper berries were used as a diuretic and treatment or prevention of urinary tract infections. Essential oil of juniper has been used to detoxify, relieve cramps and to remedy skin problems like acne and eczema.
Historically, juniper berries have been used to:

Prevent water retention
Aid digestion
As an anti-septic
Ease cramps
As a diuretic
As a source of vitamin C
As a carminative
Reduce inflammation
Induce contractions (avoid during pregnancy and nursing)Juniper Berry - food uses
Juniper berries impart a refreshing taste to many meat and vegetable dishes but are perhaps most often associated with wild game and sauerkraut. Juniper berries are strong enough to cut through the strong fatty flavors associated with wild boar, venison, rabbit and moose meats. Juniper berries should be crushed slightly before using and only a few berries are required to receive maximum flavor.
Berries will lose their flavor relatively quickly when stored, so it is best to purchase small quantities only as you need them.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:

Add crushed juniper berries to marinades and sauces
Add juniper berries to pork, beef and chicken dishes
Juniper berries pair beautifully with turkey and goose - try some in stuffing or gravy
Add juniper berries, diced apple and cooked bacon to winter vegetable and cabbage dishes, or to cabbage rolls.
Simmer juniper berries in soups and stocks
Float a few juniper berries in gin martinis or use to spice up a gin and tonic.Yummy venison with rich gravy
Venison Roast (5lb)
Butter
2 Glasses Red Wine
Bacon
1 tbsp Juniper Berries
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Gravy
Beef or Game Stock
Red Wine or Port
2 tsp red currant jelly
1 tbsp Juniper berries
2 tsp Cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Rub the salt and pepper into the venison.
Cover with strips of bacon, keeping them in place with cooking twine if necessary.
Place in a large roaster with a tightly fitting lid.
Add the juniper berries and one glass of red wine.
Melt the butter in a saucepan and pour over the roast.
Cover the casserole and place in the preheated oven.(450)
Cook for 10 minutes per pound, or 15 minutes per pound for a more well-done .
During the cooking, baste the meat with the butter and add the second glass of wine as the first one has reduced.
Remove the lid from the casserole for the final 20 minutes, to allow the joint to brown.
When cooked, remove the meat from the casserole and allow to rest in a warm place.
Gravy
Skim off any fat from the roasting pan.
Add the stock, wine or port, redcurrant jelly, and the juniper berries to the remaining juices in the pan.
Simmer over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, scraping the bottom of the casserole to de glace.
Remove from the heat and add the cornflour, stirring well.
Return to the heat and bring slowly to a boil, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens.
Season to taste and transfer to a warmed gravy boat.
Serve with potatoes and some sauteed mushrooms and seasonal vegetables.

cdub
01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
You can buy them at Stuffers in Langley.

boxhitch
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Are these the same junipers found at high levels in Northern B.C., growing about 4 inches off the moss ?
Black and taste like crap ?

newhunterette
01-27-2009, 09:46 PM
JUNIPER BERRIES

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/juniper2.jpg

fresh/ripe/dried

ElkMasterC
01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Are these the same junipers found at high levels in Northern B.C., growing about 4 inches off the moss ?
Black and taste like crap ?

That's called deer shit.
No wonder you have bad breath.

Juniper berries are on Juniper bushes, (go figure) bushes 3-6' across, 2-3 ' high, berries about 1/4" in diameter, dusty dark blue. I eat 'em all the time when i'm hunting. I love the taste.
High in Vittaminns and sech stuff.

martyonthewater
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I eat 'em all the time when i'm hunting..

juniper and spruce gum, natures bad breath cure. seen plenty of deer in juniper patches as well

DeerWhisperer
01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I have heard that you can substitute dingle berries in many recipes that call for juniper berries. Dingle berries are more common and easier to find than juniper berries.

Iron Glove
01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions - it's off to the nearby health food stores to look and then when the snow clears at the cabin, check out what I think are junipers.
I find the idea of going out back of the cabin, shooting a deer and then picking some juniper berries in the yard on the way back kinda neat. Toss in a saskatoon pie fresh from the bush and a trout from the river tossed in the smoker and it's a real "local" meal. The wife was not impressed tho' when I suggested a few squirrels from the bird feeder tossed in the slow cooker. :-P

BiG Boar
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
[quote=ElkMasterC;400709]That's called deer shit.
No wonder you have bad breath.

[quote]

Haha, you got served.