PDA

View Full Version : Lion hunting in Central Nevada

David Heitsman
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Flying this weekend to SLC and renting a car to drive the 4 hours over and down to Ely, NV. Will be lion (cougar) hunting with hounds and getting to carry a pistol which will make it more interesting.

Hunting with Lone Tree Outfitters.

Have been working out on cardio daily since June to get in shape for this trip. Hope to do my part for wild sheep habitat "enhancement"!

Should be able to catch the last 1 - 2 days of the FNAWS and MDF show in SLC. Maybe see some of you there.

Blainer
01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Best of luck.
Look forward to the pictures.
I have a suspicion that you could probably add some pictures to the thread"You'r den,let's see some pictures"?

David Heitsman
01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes on the pics but I still don't know how to load them up to the site.

If trophyphotos.com and Facebook can take them direct up to site, why can't HBC?

1/2 slam will help me one day maybe.

1/2 slam
01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
No problem David. It's easy.

dime
01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
My parents used to live in Elko, some good chuckar hunting in the area as well. Enjoy, but remember it will be cold there. I use to think that in the desert it would be nice even in winter, but in the Elko/Ely area it gets downright frigid in the winter time.
Have fun, and stay out of the brothels, they are legal there (or so I heard...lol).

The Dawg
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Yes on the pics but I still don't know how to load them up to the site.

If trophyphotos.com and Facebook can take them direct up to site, why can't HBC?

1/2 slam will help me one day maybe.

It can. Go to the gallery and upload the same way you would to the other sites. Click on 'Upload Photos', its on the right hand side near the top when you are at the gallery.

David Heitsman
02-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Cut a track in the bare frozen ground yesterday but the dogs couldn't hold it once the ground thawed. There is snow only on the north faces and of course the deer and hence the lions are on the south slopes which are greening up.

It was -20 C driving out in the early AM and +6 C driving back at the end of the day.

As to the brothels there Dime, I 'spose I could spend the cash I brought for guides tip! Can't imagine he'd be too happy with me.

The elevation is 5800 - 6500 feet and I can sure feel the thin air. You breathe hard just standing around. We have 6 hounds and it is a hoot watching these dogs work.

Anyway hope it snows abit but for now I'm really working on a tan with no moisture in sight.

boxhitch
02-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Sounds fun, but tough hunting there David.

As to the brothels there Dime, I 'spose I could spend the cash I brought for guides tip! Can't imagine he'd be too happy with me.
Guides need lovin' too !

BiG Boar
02-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Waiting for the cat picture. Why didnt you hire a guide here in BC?

boxhitch
02-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Why didnt you hire a guide here in BC?They can't work in Nevada. :)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Hope you get some fresh snow.

We FINALLY got some fresh snow over the weekend and a friend whacked a nice big tom.

SSS

BiG Boar
02-03-2009, 08:30 AM
They can't work in Nevada. :)

I meant, why didnt you hire an outfitter here in BC to guide you in BC, I am supposing there are some cats around here.

bighornbob
02-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Hope you get some fresh snow.

We FINALLY got some fresh snow over the weekend and a friend whacked a nice big tom.

SSS

Is that Cougar Dean????:razz:

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
02-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Is that Cougar Dean????:razz:

BHB

Yep. Thought his trigger was more rusty than GG's:-P. Too many cats in trees that weren't hitting the dirt.

He has some pressure to provide some meat for our game banquet.:smile:

SSS

David Heitsman
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Hunted the third day yesterday and it ended up at 59 F and of course the snow has vanished. We had a little powwow and confirmed that our odds were little or none to get a lion. Your guaranteed not to get one if you leave but not likely to get one if you stay.

The scenery was breathtaking as we were mostly hunting these high escarpements that rise up from these ancient massive lakebeds. I felt like
I was hunting on a Bonanza or Gunsmoke movie backdrop.

As to why I am in Nevada, a WA friend of mine years ago booked a hunt in Utah with Lone Tree Outfitters for him and a friend and the friend was unable to make it so I bought the friend's hunt. They guarantee a tree'd lion and so far after three trips we have yet to do it. Two winters ago
I cut a female track that was hot but I allready have a female and only want a tom. They of course brought another client over and he got it so they kept my guarantee open.

Two weeks ago they had a lion caved up and the hunter was so out of shape and afraid of heights that he couldn't get to it and tried spraying the area with a pistol. They knew I was coming and so we spent the last three days trying to relocate him. I was carrying a Glock 45 and was hoping to be able to take one with a pistol.

The highlite for me so far has been looking at the tremendous mule deer
bucks down here. The buck doe ratio is about half /half and the genetics are excellent, plus they are on a draw so they get to mature. I saw two
that I would expect would be 180 plus and I held the crosshairs on another at 275 yards that was a solid 175" buck. Just gets your motor runnin.

I'm gonna drive over to SLC this AM and catch the FNAWS and MDF show for day or so.

Hopefully they get some snow and can call me back but more likely I'll reschedule for next year.

Blainer
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
We all know that's a part of hunting,but it's still a bloody shame.I was really hoping for some pictures.