PDA

View Full Version : Ladner Marsh - how to piss of a hunter

storm
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Here's the story...

I've been hunting in the Ladner Marsh for the last twenty years. In the last several months, I have been appalled at the amount of garbage other hunters have left behind. Never before, in all the time I've spent hunting, have I seen such disgraceful behaviour.

And I know it's other waterfowlers leaving their garbage behind, because the proof is all in the evidence - expended shotgun shells, shotgun shell boxes, duck carcasses, and the rubber gloves used to clean said duck carcasses (who in the hell uses rubber gloves to clean their birds anyways...come on folks!). :evil:

Perhaps it's coincidence, perhaps it's not....but in the same time period, I've seen an influx of new hunters out in the marsh. I would hope someone new to the art of waterfowling would be a person aware of what our impact is on the environment, and that we are not the only ones who appreciate the beauty of the marsh. Bird watchers, kayakers and fisherman have the right to enjoy the Ladner Marsh in all it's pristine wetland splendour without having to view garbage left behind like a used condom. It's disgusting. We, as waterfowlers, need to do better.

When you go out into the wilderness, pack in what you need, and pack out what you do not use. Pick up your spent shells, remove your garbage (yes, that means packing it out) and respect our wetlands. We are losing land rights all over the place, and that's because sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Duck hunting is a priviledge, not a right.

PS

To all you sky-busters out there - 3.5 inch shells DO NOT mean 90 yard shots - let em fly to you before they become so jakey they don't fly at all

Alex
01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Well said storm; All the times I went out there I came back with pockets full of other people's garbage.

Wake up people!

ROEBUCK
01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
very true!

Marc
01-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Now that the duck season is over in the Ladner area maybe it wouldn't hurt if maybe everyone on the site who hunts in there went in and cleaned it up? Teach by example. People out for a walk would see people cleaning up and hopefully next fall those who made the mess will take not and clean up or not litter in the first place?

There is going to be bad apples in every bunch and it's not just the young or new hunters that litter. This is a good time to be out there to do a bit of scouting for next season or to see where the geese are hanging out.

As far as condoms go I doubt it was a duck hunter who left it there it probably came in with the tide.

01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
I hear ya.
I'v heard some shooting from brunswic way past dark, I didn't even know how the people could even see what they were shooting at.

01-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Last time I went in to the ladner marsh near ferry road, I carried out two full bags of trash that some jerk decided to dump there, I don't see why they went through all the effort to dump it there when they could of just thrown it in some bin behind a store or even actually get it hauled away themself. I wish the guy who yelled at me and called the cops on me saw me cleaning up that place after hunting.

01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Sad Really,
Users of the system at times are the worst.
I've packed many a garbage bag full of roe, worm boxes or containers, line, lure packs, beer cans, bottles you name it off the Vedder and Chehalis rivers.
When I brought this up to BC Outdoors letter to the editor to put in their magazine I was turned down because they did not want to be negative and show tourism here in BC what the real picture is.
Places like what you describe will get closed to hunting because of those few that have no respect.
CT

Alex
01-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Now that the duck season is over in the Ladner area maybe it wouldn't hurt if maybe everyone on the site who hunts in there went in and cleaned it up? Teach by example. People out for a walk would see people cleaning up and hopefully next fall those who made the mess will take not and clean up or not litter in the first place?

All in. Should we start a thread?

Marc
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Sounds like a plan, I don't live / hunt in that area otherwise I'd be there pitching in. Could be a fun day out and a chance to meet other duck hunters in your area. What better place to spend the day off but in a marsh.

Marc.

bad ducker
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
some real dicks hunting there this year

Crazy_Farmer
01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Here's the story...

Jeez you sound like some old cranky ladner resident :biggrin: You must get too much time off or something?

Just kidding buddy :tongue: You know we'd be pissed if that was happening in our area too.

Should of seen me saturday morning, picking up the frozen in decoys, couldnt reach the last 3 with my muck boats and stick so I ended up going waist deep and getting soaked in the freezing water and wind. Wound up getting the rest and then ended up breaking the keel completely off a wigeon. Talk about a bad morning, owell it'll sit on the mantle now.

fowl language
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
if any of you are interested the delta ladner r and g club has a clean up in may every year in ladner. if there is any interested we could use the help and have a container donated each year for the garbage. i can bring it up next meeting if you like.....fowl

kyleklassen
01-27-2009, 12:06 AM
took my 3 year old to ride his bike down at the swamp sunday afternoon and he damn near crashed his bike tryin' to get stopped because he saw an empty shotgun shell on the roadside. and he knew it should be in his pocket and headed for the garbage can at home.

The Dawg
01-27-2009, 12:27 AM
As far as condoms go I doubt it was a duck hunter who left it there it probably came in with the tide.

A perfect choice of words...lol

MichelD
01-27-2009, 09:37 AM
How can I say this diplomatically?

At Brunswick Point and at Boundary Bay I noticed that many of the new hunters you describe appear also to be fairly new citizens. Not all, but some.

When Daniel and I went out to Brunswick (once only all season I was so disgusted) there were two different parties shooting at swans.

There is a language and cultural barrier that has to be overcome here about what you take from the environment, how you take it and what you leave behind.

Steeleco
01-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Go for it. do as I did for the Sylvester road clean up. I don't even own a shot gun, but if I'm free I'll show up.

sparkes3
01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
sounds good to me fowl language we can use my duck boat to get the garbage back if we need to