PDA

View Full Version : Who got out today? Last Day.

Qwa-honn
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I am going to try to get out after work for a while. I got out last Tuesday and two little divers. I took a couple of pics of the spread and the camera died. My boys are always messing around with them and when I want them blah they are no longer charged.
Hope to have and see some pics of the last day from everyone that got out.
Peace

HuntNHookSports
01-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Cut my ski trip short to hunt ducks.
The valley sounds like a war zone. Everyone is out.
Had to work for every duck. Very cautious.
7 mallards and a gadwall.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/012309.jpg

Gunner
01-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice lookin' chocolate Lab!How old is he?I have two chocolate meatheads at home drivin' me nuts cause' they're ready to roll for spring geese! Cheers,Gunner(Nice looking birds too,we get quite a few gadwall here,some winter over if the river doesn't freeze).

HuntNHookSports
01-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice lookin' chocolate Lab!How old is he?
Thanks for the compliment. Reno "Beaner" is 5. Someday I will breed her. Have a 9 year old as well but he is retired.

Gunner
01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
If you don't mind,who was the breeder?She looks a lot like my wife's lab(Boomer is 100lbs and prefers to retrieve for her!) Thanks,Gunner

HuntNHookSports
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
The breeder was Big Valley. Located in your home town Enderby. When we got our dog they were living in the Fraser Valley.

Gunner
01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
That sounds like Willie.He used to breed some monster Labs!I saw him at a hunt test in Knutsford years ago,the chocolate he had with him was close to 120,and perfectly proportioned. Gunner

branthunter
01-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Here's another truism----as soon as the season ends we get a freeze.

kastles
01-24-2009, 12:01 AM
i picked up Dutchie's father and we got out to brunswick point in the morning and there were lots of ducks flying but i think we perfected the "stay the **** away from us" call. And i learned that there are high low, low low, low high and high high tides. this had me baffled when it was 2:00 and the water still hadn't moved in the past four or five hours. but it was a beautiful day to spend at the beach watching birds fly all around us. Forgot the camera at home.

kastles

Qwa-honn
01-24-2009, 09:10 AM
It is called perfecting your bird scare.
lol

Marc
01-24-2009, 09:42 AM
i picked up Dutchie's father and we got out to brunswick point in the morning and there were lots of ducks flying but i think we perfected the "stay the **** away from us" call.

Later in the season a lot of ducks have seen and heard pretty much everything. I always try little calling and if they're working the spread then that's where I stop. If they make a pass but don't commit then I'll turn it up a notch. Bad or excessive calling is worst then no calling at all in my experience. Practice Practice Practice. I usually have a call in the truck for traffic lights:biggrin:

kyleklassen
01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
write the tides down on a piece of paper and keep it in your pocket. then check your watch and paper at different times to see how your spot reacts to different heights and then remember for the future. one river channel i hunt is basically dry on a 6.5 ft tide.good to learn these things. saves lots of work in the future.

branthunter
01-24-2009, 10:12 AM
i picked up Dutchie's father and we got out to brunswick point in the morning and there were lots of ducks flying but i think we perfected the "stay the **** away from us" call. And i learned that there are high low, low low, low high and high high tides. this had me baffled when it was 2:00 and the water still hadn't moved in the past four or five hours. but it was a beautiful day to spend at the beach watching birds fly all around us. Forgot the camera at home.

kastles

Always look at a tide chart before you go out. I keep this one on my address bar---go there and have a look at the tide patterns over the last week and you'll see what was going on with the tide. These were actually great tides 'cause you could pretty well set up in one place for your whole shoot (on the marsh as opposed to having to set up in a ditch that is).

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/van

branthunter
01-24-2009, 10:14 AM
write the tides down on a piece of paper and keep it in your pocket. then check your watch and paper at different times to see how your spot reacts to different heights and then remember for the future. one river channel i hunt is basically dry on a 6.5 ft tide.good to learn these things. saves lots of work in the future.

Good advice and a key thing to learn and be aware of out there---I print out the page for that days tide from the site I just posted.

Dirty
01-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I was at a wedding planners on the last day, watching ducks fly by in the farm fields behind her house. I was ready to cry. If it is any consolation I almost crashed in the ditch eyeballing some fields on the way there!

f350ps
01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I was at a wedding planners on the last day, watching ducks fly by in the farm fields behind her house. I was ready to cry. If it is any consolation I almost crashed in the ditch eyeballing some fields on the way there!
Never thought you'd be whipped that bad. Better get a handle on it now or say goodbye to all yer huntin gear!:-o

Crazy_Farmer
01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Never thought you'd be whipped that bad. Better get a handle on it now or say goodbye to all yer huntin gear!:-o

Or have a nice brother like myself who doesnt put up with it and keeps all the gear. :tongue:

f350ps
01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
The things a guy will do for a Bro' eh? Yer all heart! You got that Brant set all ready to go? K

Crazy_Farmer
01-24-2009, 04:04 PM
The things a guy will do for a Bro' eh? Yer all heart! You got that Brant set all ready to go? K

Almost just gotta pick up some line from Branthunter who was gracious enough to find me the length I needed, all the decoys are done and rigged. Already have all the weights I need, after that its just a couple anchors for the layout. Should have alot of time to get everything ready since ducks are done with now. Can concentrate now late season honkers and brant stuff.

The guys down in Washington are right in the middle of their brant season. And they got hit by the same foggy system we got and its hurting the hunting really bad down there. Not too many brant are being taken, seen quite a few grey-bellies though on other forums from the ones that have been shot. They've only got till tomorrow before its over. Hopefully we'll have better luck and weather up here in march.

Gunner
01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
My sister is seeing a fair number of brant off the spit in BB every day,and my Uncle saw a flock off Blackie Spit today.I can hardly wait! Gunner

kastles
01-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Practice Practice Practice. I usually have a call in the truck for traffic lights:biggrin:

with pattullo bridge traffic i'll have lots of extra traffic for practice

kastles