PDA

View Full Version : Chokes; Wich one for ducks?

Alex
01-20-2009, 07:38 PM
I went out for a few ducks today. After needing finishing shots on two green heads, I decided to go from modified to improved cylinder. Wow, what a difference. I was knocking them dead with one shot (Black cloud #2 3'').

I'm shooting a MP-153 and before I had a 870 that I shot modified. It might be a small difference in guns but I believe it's probably more luck and circumstance...

Anyways, I was wondering what guys shot here...

Alex

PGK
01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I just shoot full....I don't like the idea of a big wide pattern. I'd rather miss outright than hit a bird with one or two pellets. When I hit em, they know it.

Marc
01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Where I'm hunting will dictate what I use. This past Saturday I changed up to improve cylinder as they were in your face. When I'm hunting the bay I usually use the modified choke as a lot of birds tend to skirt the outside of the decoys.

Malley Whacker
01-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Patternmaster Extended full deadly

Marc
01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Patternmaster Extended full deadly

I've got a patermaster on my beretta but this year the ducks have been so close due to the layout boat and where I've been hunting I would have blown them up. I had a bird on Saturday no word of a lie not 20 feet from me. Had to wait for it to fly out of the decoys before I could shoot without messing it all up.

Jimbo
01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
No choke tubes for me. Modified or nothing. :tongue:

Crazy_Farmer
01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I've got a patermaster on my beretta but this year the ducks have been so close due to the layout boat and where I've been hunting I would have blown them up. I had a bird on Saturday no word of a lie not 20 feet from me. Had to wait for it to fly out of the decoys before I could shoot without messing it all up.

Aim for the head :tongue: you dont waste any meat that way.

I hear you on the close shots though, normally once we call the shot now, and the geese and ducks are so close I wait a bit before they back peddle a few yards till I shoot, 10 feet is too close, 15-20 is best. As cool as it is, its pretty wasteful of the meat when all you've got is two wings, a head and two feet barely hanging on, with a big hole in the middle.

Ian F.
01-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Pattern master over the decoys

BUT

PATTERN YOUR GUN!

Not two gun, choke and shell combos are the same! More time at the board, more time at the range means more successful shots!

f350ps
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Shot size and load has a lot to do with it also. But I'll echo Ian's comment, pattern your gun, you'll be surprised at the results. K

Ian F.
01-21-2009, 07:04 AM
BTW, my 20ga SxS is IC & IC, my 12ga SxS is IC and Light Mod, My Ruger O/U is running Mod and Light mod briley's, but I need to spend some time at the board with it. And almost forgot, my 870 has a briley duck choke in it! (that's from before the wad grabber style choke existed)

Patterning involves shooting at paper at 20-30 yards and seeing what your pattern looks like. I usually do a single shot, look and see, then 2 more to give an average. Change choke or load and shoot a new piece of paper.

A modified choke should have the vast majority of the pattern in a 30" circle at 30 yards, full 40 yards, IC 20-25 yards.

Oh and I shoot the "over the decoys" in my X2 to get a shorter shot string and clean pattern, not to get a super tight long range pattern. If I want that I'd buy an extended range patternmaster.

Ian

sneg
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
I have O/U ,so I use two different chocks: IC / modified for ducks and modified/full for snow gees only. Last season I used IC/full chock for grouse hunting.Select either depend on distance. I like having two different chocks for ducks,wider pattern for shorter distance and tighther pattern for follow up shot.

The 'Hummer'
01-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Haven't done much on waterfowl the last few years but still have my gun. I went with full but for me, ideally, my SxS, full & modified (10ga. 3 1/2":smile:).

Qwa-honn
01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Wad Wizard Supreme

duckkiller
01-22-2009, 02:03 AM
wad wizard (stud 10), patternmaster and kicks Ex. range.

pattern master
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
pattern Master
Ex>full Choke
silly Duckkiller Kicks Are For Kids
Wad Wizard Sucks

duckkiller
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
pattern Master
Ex>full Choke
silly Duckkiller Kicks Are For Kids
Wad Wizard Sucks

Yah you are right PatternmAsster, Pattern Master ex-full is better, especially for sky busting!!! lol:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Killer

Chuck
02-03-2009, 08:38 PM
I just shoot full....I don't like the idea of a big wide pattern. I'd rather miss outright than hit a bird with one or two pellets. When I hit em, they know it.

That's what I've been taught too, although I seldom hunt ducks around here they taste like fish or even beaver.

kastles
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
i've been shooting through a Modified when out on the bay and IC over decoys. would like to go Full but "no steel." gonna use it at the range for trap

kastles

Crazy_Farmer
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Funny you should mention wad wizard sucks when both co-owners of pattern master split several years ago, and now hold roughly the same patents on the chokes. PMs are ported though which in most cases if your shooting beside others will make a shot even louder, I know a few who have switched PM to WW just becuase of that reason. :smile:

Curious if you use extra virgin olive oil in your beretta? Heard those Italian guns love it. :shock::tongue:

Qwa-honn
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Curious if you use extra virgin olive oil in your beretta? Heard those Italian guns love it. :shock::tongue:[/quote]

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (WEEEEEEZE) ba ha ha ha ha ha ha maaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh snicker snicker snicker snicker
BAAAAAAAAAA HAAA HAAAAAA Huhhhhhhhh
thanks for that.
Pattern Master = hen shooter.

Crazy_Farmer
02-03-2009, 09:38 PM
What are you laughing about you shoot a benelli. :shock::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Just kidding Johnny! Those sbe2 are definitely the cats ass in my opinion. My brothers is nice but I've never got used to the light forearm compared to everybody else, so I'll spend my money on something else.

Qwa-honn
02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
But.. I am not a Beretta pig!

Crazy_Farmer
02-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I only held a xtreme2 once, and that was enough for me to know it wasnt the gun for me. For whatever reason probably just me but it was way too thick in the pistol grip, the length of the forearm really didnt appeal to me, it seemed to weigh a ton but I know it should of only been around 8 lbs. And the price tag was way over $2000. :smile: To each his own though, I shouldnt talk about money with the amount our decoys cost. :tongue:

duckkiller
02-04-2009, 01:10 AM
That's what I've been taught too, although I seldom hunt ducks around here they taste like fish or even beaver.
I do think the local ducks taste fish, but they sure don't taste like beaver!!!:shock:

Killer

duckkiller
02-04-2009, 01:13 AM
But.. I am not a Beretta pig!
Are you sure?:wink:

benson
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
[quote=Crazy_Farmer;404930]Funny you should mention wad wizard sucks when both co-owners of pattern master split several years ago, and now hold roughly the same patents on the chokes. PMs are ported though which in most cases if your shooting beside others will make a shot even louder, I know a few who have switched PM to WW just becuase of that reason. :smile::shock:

As a experienced waterfowler I would be looking for porting in a choke tube or shotgun barrel, porting prevents recoil, less recoil means a better follow up shot, as for the noise or percussion, if you are an avid waterfowler you should probably invest in hearing protection and maybe try not shooting too close together.

just my 2cents:razz:

shotgunjohn
02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Used a full choke for years in my 870 but found that with steel shot the pattern just didn't open up properly. Really slammed them when you hit one but steel shot is hard on the teeth. Am now using modified tube (bought a new barrel with tubes) with the 155o fps steel loads and find the performance similar to the old lead full choke combo. Still screw on the old barrel for deer hunting with buckshot.

Crazy_Farmer
02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
As a experienced waterfowler I would be looking for porting in a choke tube or shotgun barrel, porting prevents recoil, less recoil means a better follow up shot, as for the noise or percussion, if you are an avid waterfowler you should probably invest in hearing protection

just my 2cents:razz:

I'll agree on the hearing statement, I already have a slight constant ringing in my left ear for half a year now, and I'm pretty positive it wont be going away ever, wasnt from watefowl hunting, made the mistake of using a short barrelled shotgun to shoot a couple flocks of starlings. Too loud of noises bother me a bit. But it comes with the territory, I've tried ear plugs but I cant stand not being able to hear geese in the distant as they come closer. Nor the beating of huge flocks of mallards as their wings cut through the air when they're just above you ready to land on the next turn.

I know theres electronic ear muffs that pick up on the lower sounds, I've wore a pair, they're okay for hearing what somebodies saying next to you but I still cant hear geese in the distance with them. I should figure something out becuase hunting waterfowl for 50-60 days a season its only a matter of time before they get too bad.

and maybe try not shooting too close together.

Do you hunt much out of laydown blinds? with a few other guys? Alot of times they need to be close to each other or they'll throw off geese coming in.

benson
02-05-2009, 02:57 AM
I'll agree on the hearing statement, I already have a slight constant ringing in my left ear for half a year now, and I'm pretty positive it wont be going away ever, wasnt from watefowl hunting, made the mistake of using a short barrelled shotgun to shoot a couple flocks of starlings. Too loud of noises bother me a bit. But it comes with the territory, I've tried ear plugs but I cant stand not being able to hear geese in the distant as they come closer. Nor the beating of huge flocks of mallards as their wings cut through the air when they're just above you ready to land on the next turn.

I know theres electronic ear muffs that pick up on the lower sounds, I've wore a pair, they're okay for hearing what somebodies saying next to you but I still cant hear geese in the distance with them. I should figure something out becuase hunting waterfowl for 50-60 days a season its only a matter of time before they get too bad.

Do you hunt much out of laydown blinds? with a few other guys? Alot of times they need to be close to each other or they'll throw off geese coming in.

I am sorry about your hearing:cry:, you know that if you spend the money on some good ear plugs they will adjust for lower tones such as geese from far away and they are not cumbersome like ear muffs, they are expensive but you can not put a price on your hearing.

Yes, I have used lay blinds and I understand you are close together but if you point your muzzle in a safe direction and do not shoot across your partners face the muzzle blast from the porting will never be an issue.(its common sense and a safety issue):wink:

just my 2cents

Crazy_Farmer
02-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Yes, I have used lay blinds and I understand you are close together but if you point your muzzle in a safe direction and do not shoot across your partners face the muzzle blast from the porting will never be an issue.(its common sense and a safety issue):wink:

just my 2cents

That never seems to be the problem with us. Of course gun safety is important and we've never even had a problem once but more often then not what gives you a good ringing is not from when someones shooting infront of your face but if a bird comes in and you're not expecting a shot then one goes off becuase you couldnt see the guy beside you pull up on the bird. I find that even though the barrels pointing in the right direction, your mind and ears dont adjust properlly and you'll get a good ringing for abit.

Probably 99% of shots through the year you dont have to worry about any ringing its those few that do some damage. I guess I'm just too stubborn to wear protection for those 1% of shots a year. :???:

benson
02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Yah, what ever you say crazy farmer.:roll:

huntwriter
02-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I can’t tell you what chokes I am using. It depends where I hunt what load I use and how the gun patterns at the range at any given range. Once I figured that out and made careful notes I chose the choke appropriate for the situation, gun/load combination and size of game I hunt and shooting distance.

Crazy_Farmer
02-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Yah, what ever you say crazy farmer.:roll:

Yeah buddy, its only the internet dont get your knickers in a knot. :wink: Take everything with a grain of salt.

Anyone who comes on here and on his 3rd post says "as a expierenced waterfowler"......... I had a good chuckle at that. Thats the problem with the internet, you dont see whos behind the keyboard, could be a wiry old veteran who knows his stuff or a guy who has no clue about anything but will still post about stuff he doesnt know.

I'm just here to pass the time during the offseason and its good to chat with a bunch of local guys who have the same passion for the sport. You seem to be that way so all's good in my books. :-D

Ian F.
02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.protectear.com/products/list_products.asp

I got a pair of db blockers this year, around $120, worth every penny! they custom fit them to your ears, and you can get them with the filter in them based on what you do. I can hear close to normal, and after awhile you don't even notice you are wearing them. In my case I bought them to hunt with as I always wore muffs at the club, but now just wear the db's.

There are several guys in the lower mainland that'll fit you, and then it takes about month before they have your's made.

Ian

Crazy_Farmer
02-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the link Ian. I know theres a guy who drives around a hearing truck I see on a few job sites every now and then. He tests and also makes them, probably makes the same sortof earplus as the website or maybe even the same company. I know my brother had a set made but he only uses them for work. Maybe I'll get a set in the offseason. ;)

Marc
02-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Interesting, the shotgun doesn't usually bother me but my widgeon whislte while hunkered down in the boat just goes right through me.

Crazy_Farmer
02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Interesting, the shotgun doesn't usually bother me but my widgeon whislte while hunkered down in the boat just goes right through me.

I think it does have to do with the close quaters, or being all hunched up, same thing with a true cackler call while in a laydown. If I dont blow it at the right angle, its gets loud very quickly. My call or my brothers same thing, they're so high pitched and fast, I'd guess a few snow calls would be around the same pitch.

benson
02-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Yeah buddy, its only the internet dont get your knickers in a knot. :wink: Take everything with a grain of salt.

Anyone who comes on here and on his 3rd post says "as a expierenced waterfowler"......... I had a good chuckle at that. Thats the problem with the internet, you dont see whos behind the keyboard, could be a wiry old veteran who knows his stuff or a guy who has no clue about anything but will still post about stuff he doesnt know.

I'm just here to pass the time during the offseason and its good to chat with a bunch of local guys who have the same passion for the sport. You seem to be that way so all's good in my books. :-D

You must be a experienced waterfowler because you have over 400 long winded posts:grin:, that you write during the hunting season:biggrin:, but all that nonsense aside like you say, we all share the same passion and it is all good in my books too:wink:.

Crazy_Farmer
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
You must be a experienced waterfowler because you have over 400 long winded posts:grin:, that you write during the hunting season:biggrin:, but all that nonsense aside like you say, we all share the same passion and it is all good in my books too:wink:.

Well theres only so many hours aday you can spend hunting, after that whats better then talking about hunting :biggrin:

Malley Whacker
02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
That Patten master is sure a chirpy fella

Qwa-honn
02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
lol oh ohh

pattern master
02-13-2009, 08:00 AM
be carefull malley wacker