PDA

View Full Version : Alaska hunt vid.

codykarey
01-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Man, this is awesome. wish a Canadian could do this...I wonder what the requirements for american citizenship are :-P! 6 week unguided hunt in Northern alaska (somewhere in MU 26 near the Brooks range I think.) Some amazing footage and certainly something I think every hunter dreams of. Was looking up the Alaska hunt reg.s for information on unguided hunts on non-resi. aliens (allowed my hopes to get up a bit). Sadly dissapointed though...I think this kind of trip would be the dream of my hunting career. I wonder if you could do something like this in Yukon or NWT?

COOL VID THOUGH! will definately order the 90 min. documentary from his website!

(sorry if you've all seen this!)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=A59QSLF1v24

Cheers!

quadrakid
01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
nice vid, if its a huge dream of yours then you should move to the yukon and get your residency. still lots of wild country up there and lots of game.

kootenayelkslayer
01-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Grass is always greener on the otherside... You can do a hunt like that right here in some of the best hunting in the world!

codykarey
01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
WOULD LOVE TO! Unfrotunately there isn't much in the Yukon for me other than this hunt of a life time... gotta pay the bills.

mark
01-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Grass is always greener on the otherside... You can do a hunt like that right here in some of the best hunting in the world!

What rivers in BC could a guy do a hunt like that? Im sure there is some but I just dont know of them!

Ive seen that vid before, but enjoyed it again. Sure does look like a dream hunt!

Big7
01-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I've watched that vid a few times now....sure would be an adventure!

leadpillproductions
01-19-2009, 10:05 PM
like to see a good honest hunt real good video

kootenayelkslayer
01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
What rivers in BC could a guy do a hunt like that? Im sure there is some but I just dont know of them!

Hmm well I wasn't thinking of strictly a float trip, because you could certainly do some multi-species trips in northern BC on foot or horse. But surely some of those big watersheds in northern BC are floatable? I don't really know those rivers though, but I'm sure there are some on this site who know about it.

ElkMasterC
01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Isn't that from "700 Miles Alone"?

That was an inspiring trip. I was doubting camping for an Elk hunt in Grizz country with a buddy, until we watched this video. Then we felt like pussies, and started packing..lol

hunter1947
01-20-2009, 07:53 AM
That is what you call getting back into no mans land ,what a nice trip this solo hunter had ,man o man that is two beautifully caribou he got.

Now that would be they way I would like to hunt ,in no mans land ,thanks for posting this up for us to see.

Johnnybear
01-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I bought "700 miles alone" in DVD last year. Got it from 3 Rivers Archery online. It is a great DVD and quite an adventure to say the least. Self filmed and some great footage of animals and scenery. Worth buying IMO.

Sunny
01-20-2009, 11:17 AM
that's my dream too. Too bad I can't do this no more

Rob
01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Ive got this video as well, ordered it from the guy in the video, Buck Nelson. I think he wound up with two caribou on this video. I believe he has a new one out as well or is working on one. He is a real nice guy, I get the odd e-mail from him when he has some new stuff out. Do a google search for buck publishing and you'll see all his stuff. Rob

Angel
01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
thats a great video, great experience. My favorite is a documentry called "Alone in the Wilderness" im sure a bunch of you have seen it. Its a great old story and a great experience aswell. I definatly plan to try something similar one day, but only for a year ;).... Such a great way to see parts of the untouched world.

huntergirl270
01-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I remember seeing these scenes in a dvd we were watching or it was on a documentary recently on cable. Will have to check with the 'old man' he'll remember. The scenery was fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone. A lot of scenes are not shown as they were in the one I saw. Has anyone confirmed the name of the film? I would love to pick this up as my kids were glued to the tv the whole time it was on as well as the hubby.
I seem to remember in the episode we saw that the film maker showed his path on a map. He named various rivers and valleys that he took to get to where he was going.

Angel
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I remember seeing these scenes in a dvd we were watching or it was on a documentary recently on cable. Will have to check with the 'old man' he'll remember. The scenery was fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone. A lot of scenes are not shown as they were in the one I saw. Has anyone confirmed the name of the film? I would love to pick this up as my kids were glued to the tv the whole time it was on as well as the hubby.
I seem to remember in the episode we saw that the film maker showed his path on a map. He named various rivers and valleys that he took to get to where he was going.

Could be "alone in the wilderness" thats what it sounds like.

bruin
01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
It looks cool, but I've been in places like that alone and its daunting to think of being alone for that long. I don't know if I could do it mentally.

codykarey
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
dvd is indeed "700 miles alone" I think the other one often reffered to in this thread has a similar title: something about 1000 miles in which he outlines his trail on a map, giving the various names of rivers and valleys he follows on a hilke from the eastern side of alaska all the way through the Brooks mountain range to the coast. That video is a wildlife doc. and I dont think it contains hunting sequences. certainly some amazing wildlife and landscape sequences in these films. also, if anyone is seriously considering trying this, there are some great "How To" books for sale on his website www.bucktrack.com (http://www.bucktrack.com)

Cheers!

huntergirl270
01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info :) I just ordered the two dvd's for our family. I found out from the old man that we had borrowed the movie from the library. So if anyone wants to check it out it is available there.