PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Arrow Weight.

.308win
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Recommended minimum arrow weight is 5gr per pound of draw weight, I want to a get 60# bow, so this puts my mini. at 300gr. My question....does that include the broadhead/point!!? I'm thinking that it doesn't...right....wrong!!? thanks!

Perry

Bowzone_Mikey
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
yes it does ... it means total arrow weight including point, shaft, fletches and nock

going by IBO (International Bowhunting Organization) Standards

J_T
01-19-2009, 11:17 PM
IMNSHO you want your arrow weight heavier. When the arrow is too light the bow does not function properly. More like dry firing.

There is always a lot of debate on arrow speed versus arrow weight. I put my money on the weight of the arrow. I had been shooting a 700 grain arrow, but since I've gone to carbons I shoot 640. My opinion, keep it close to 500 as a minimum.

The Hermit
01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Depends on what you are doing... target shooters might want the lightest thickest line cutter arrows as possible to increase speed and flatten trajectory whereas hunting arrows ought to be smaller diameter and heavier for better penetration.

Bow Walker
01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Hermit has hit the nail right on the noggin'. Target shooters are pushing the boundaries - all the time. Hunters are after KE, and Penetration.

Some bow companies are now OK with a 3-grain per pound rule. But. As JT has stated, too light an arrow is like dry firing your bow - waaay to much stress on the limbs.

.308win
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys! I'll be using this bow(when i get it!!:smile:) for hunting, so I'll be looking for good penetration, what is a good weight to be looking at with a 60# draw? Again thanks, appreciate it!

Perry

Bow Walker
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm shooting 60 bs and I'm using Gold Tip's Expedition Hunters in the camo version. Plenty of KE, and penetration (which is important to the younger crowd). Not been dissapointed yet.

I'm planning on a Spring bear hunt with them.

.308win
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm planning on a Spring bear hunt with them.

Thats what i'd like to take first, a bear, not a spring though, it'll be almost spring bear when i get it, so i'll spend the summer practicing and work at getting a fall bear! been sizing up the Carbon X line up, good arrows!!?

Perry