PDA

View Full Version : hunting /camping trailer wish list

ratherbefishin
10-19-2005, 06:33 AM
if I was going to build a hunting/camping trailer it would have several requirements
- a linoleum floorto make sweeping out easier
-an airtight woodstove with a drying rack close by for hanging wet clothes
-a couple of chairs to sit around the woodstove and read at night
-a shower
- 2 bunks convertable to a table and bench
-cupboards ,shelf space, and lots of clothing hangers
- a sink/stove/counter for cooking
- an RV fridge and freezer
- a hinged roof panel the length of the trailer that could be raised for shelter

any other wish list ideas?

ratherbefishin
10-19-2005, 07:12 AM
another couple of additions
-double doors at the back so as to allow access, possably even an ATV
-roof racks
- a fold down table attached to the side,for outdoor cooking etc

huntersdad
10-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey
I will add a water tank, 40 gallons? You could have a splitter in it so you run it to your sink and have a external tap for a quick shower wash up. The lines would have to be insulated of course.

ape
10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
You guys should contact WJ trailer sales in Prince George as he is building atv/sled trailers into exactly what we want as outdoors men he will even customize one to your needs if you can think of something that he hasn't yet. His # is 612-0034.

ratherbefishin
10-19-2005, 01:32 PM
those utility aluminum closed trailers might be a good platform,too

ex bc guide
10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
The only thing that I can think off that your trailer could use would be me!:biggrin:
Mike

Jager
10-20-2005, 05:30 PM
What about some awnings on both sides and substantial ground clearance. My buddy got an old fixer upper trailer where we moved the axle below the leaf springs. You could park that thing just about anywhere in the bush.

rock
10-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Built my own camperate sleeps 2 in comfort, light not to tall so it is not top heavy, has a 9000 btu heater, racks on top for a boat, shelves for storage, retractable close line for drying clothes, 2 burner stove.
My wish list
Build another one for a full size truck.

ratherbefishin
10-28-2005, 07:14 AM
yes,that ground clearance issue is important,and if it can be accomplished by repositioning the axle below the spring that would be a simple solution

BCKID
10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
An insulated floor is a nice option for those cold mornings. And if you can draw fresh air from outside for the wood stove. BCKID

ratherbefishin
10-28-2005, 07:22 PM
yah, an insulated floor wouldn;t be too hard to do-and getting fresh air in for the woodstove is easily done too-just a vent by the stove.I like wood better than propane-it's dryer.Propane is conveniant but it gives off moisture.I'm scared of kerosine-woke up one night to choking black smoke.Wood is available and makes a great way to heat, cook, and dry clothes

ratherbefishin
10-29-2005, 07:56 AM
the woodstove with a hot water coil makes a hot shower feasable-possably the ''creature comfort'' I miss most after a few days in the bush.It wouldn't be too hard to plumb,either, just an outlet hose and bucket , or even a dispercement hose to take it away from the site.

Homesick
08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
so did anyone ever finish a hunting trailer with a wood stove?

moosinaround
08-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Hey maybe make it 8 ft longer and add a cooler in the back for hanging meat! Insulation, airconditioner, and a fan!! Use it as storage for gear too. Moosin

BCBear
08-31-2008, 08:07 PM
removable game skinning tree would be cool

rattle
08-31-2008, 08:28 PM
so did anyone ever finish a hunting trailer with a wood stove?

I have a buddy with a chevy getaway type van with a wood stove in it. Seems to work really well for him.

Homesick
08-31-2008, 08:59 PM
removable game skinning tree would be coolWith a boat winch mounted on it :idea: front or back? I'm thinking the back would make the most sense, but the front would be the most convenient to drop in the box

421fighter
08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
I bought an old airstream which had been gutted. I strengthened the springs by adding auxilury springs, insulated the floor, put some cables anchored to the frame to anchor my quads down, 3/4 plywood floor with indoor/outdoor, built all the kitchen to one side so they would come in, made the potty so most of the walls are removable, have propane heat, hot water and cook top, made the bed so it comes apart and is stowable, wired it for 12 and 120 volt, lights and all, have a big inverter to run the bar fridge, and made a 4 foot wide and high door in the back, hinged on one side, with a wheel to carry the other side when closed.The sink will either drain to a bucket or a storage tank for later disposal. Still have to put in a roof jack for the wood heat, but have the stove ready to install.

ElkMasterC
07-18-2009, 01:57 AM
I bought an old airstream which had been gutted. I strengthened the springs by adding auxilury springs, insulated the floor, put some cables anchored to the frame to anchor my quads down, 3/4 plywood floor with indoor/outdoor, built all the kitchen to one side so they would come in, made the potty so most of the walls are removable, have propane heat, hot water and cook top, made the bed so it comes apart and is stowable, wired it for 12 and 120 volt, lights and all, have a big inverter to run the bar fridge, and made a 4 foot wide and high door in the back, hinged on one side, with a wheel to carry the other side when closed.The sink will either drain to a bucket or a storage tank for later disposal. Still have to put in a roof jack for the wood heat, but have the stove ready to install.

Got any pics?

recoil
07-18-2009, 02:51 AM
A small generator mounted on the tongue to power your fridge, lights etc. ALso at least one deep cycle battery so you dont have to run it constantly. If you are going to run the fridge off the trucks power supply it would be wise to install a auto low voltage shutoff switch otherwise you may not be able to start the truck.
I am converting a fairly new 6x10' cargo trailer to be a hunting rig, it will be able to haul one quad with fold down bunkbeds, wood stove etc. I plan on modifying the stock vents to bring in and exhaust the stove. Also flipping the axle. Mine also has HD roof racks (only a $150 option) so i can throw a 12' tinny or canoe up top, i was also thinking of making a storage area up there for items i dont want in the trailer like jerry cans.

Dont forget to bring a spare tire, my trailer did not come from the factory with one.

Lone Ranger
07-18-2009, 03:12 AM
I bought a 6.5' import camper for my Ranger, then found out that it fits all too well on my ATV trailer so it lives on it now (I just haul the quad in the pickup).

A few things I've done and learned:

-I have a 2000w Honeywell inverter generator, same basic specs as the Honda's but $1000 cheaper (Costco sells them for $600). It was rough to begin with but as it broke it its turned into an extremely valuable tool. I've been extremely happy with it. Gen'ys are so much better than trying to deal with solar panels and that sort of junk.
-I was just going to convert the propane heater to wood right away, but due to space concerns I thought I'd just try it out first. They are a heat exchanger setup, so all the propane flame does is heat up a metal box surrounding the burner and then vents to the outside. It does not produce any moisture in the camper, in fact I find it to be as nice of a heat as with wood, and safer IMO. I have a smoke detector and CO detector just in case. I have a 20 lb tank and it will keep the 8,500 BTU burner going for about a week.
-Ground clearance is important, but manoeuvrability and dependability is even more important. Don't get too crazy and go for strength over height. Keep the size reasonable and invest in good quality bearings (and grease) and tires.
-I am going to convert the 3 way fridge to a bar fridge (NOT a cooler), they work so much better, even if you do need to run the gen'y more. Unless its super hot out you can cycle it and shut it off at night, they're efficient enough unless you have frozen food inside.

I use mine a lot for work, and occasionally for camping (I sure wish it was the other way around!). Any trailer's a pain to haul in the bush, but in the end its always worth it. Remember that its going to get bounced around a lot and most trailers aren't designed for that, so don't be shy to reinforce corners and keep things light (ie a good carpet/rug might be better than heavy floor insulation). Go heavy where it needs it but the more weight you're pulling, the harder it is to get through any obstacles. Try to haul as much as possible in the truck so you don't end up trying to drag a boat anchor! LR

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/LoneRanger1993/IMG_0316a.jpg

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/LoneRanger1993/IMG_0318a.jpg

Evolution
07-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I have a 7x14 Cargo trailer that I use for hauling around my work tools(construction), but what I did is build a fairly rugged work bench on one side. The top is made of 3/4" ply, but one 2' section can be unscrewed and when I want to go hunting I just drop in my RV sink attachment. I have a 12v pump and a bladder tank for fresh water. Its great when its raining. I plan to build some fold down bunks( maybe even just removable) and also install a pedestal mount table and seat that converts to a bed ( like they have in Campers. I bought the veneered table top, the alum post and floor bracket at the local RV shop for about $40. I have only had the trailer since Feb, but I did haul it out to Vernon Lake bear hunting in April. It was very comfortable to sleep in temperature wise but for late fall/winter a small wood stove could easily be rigged up. The thing is who wants to cut a stove pipe hole in a brand new trailer? I was thinking that maybe I could just fabricate a flange that fit into the existing roof vent. The thing is you could just buy a travel trailer but its nice to be able to come in soaked to the ass or covered in blood and not have to worry about the upholstery.

421fighter
07-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, I have some pictures. All did not go as well as I had planned. By cutting a large hole in the back, I lost the stability built in by " breaking the egg" , and had to put a couple of cables in the form of a cross from bottom to top to gain back the ridgidity. If I were to do it again, I would make a side entry. I gave up on the wood stove. Way too heavy, and I'm afraid of a fire. Propane is much more adaptable. I have some pictures, but not the knowledge to post them. I will be using the hunting trailer for all my galavanting, and will sell my small 5th wheel, which I have rigged to carry a quad. Dave

bigdiggerman
11-06-2009, 09:57 PM
One thing you always want on a trailer/camper designated fairly firmly for hunting/camping is storage for all that stuff you have to take so it can be loaded and ready to go at a 'moments' notice. One would hate to lose the opportunity or the will to go just because you had to 'pack up' before you could leave. You want to be able to put the food in and drive away.

Built my own camperette tall enough to stand in with running water, 2-burner stove, 4 x 6 foot bed convertible to 6 x 6 foot bed if two hunters are going, lots of storage, and kept weight down so I get basically the same mileage with it on the truck as without - so it just stays on. Quad stays on the trailer with all gear packed so it's 'food in and I can go'.

thunderheart
11-07-2009, 06:50 AM
great thread some good ideas .. ahh... necessity is the mother of invention ..
i have always pictures an older c class motor home with the stern cut off ,perhaps half of it so there is still overhead sleeping. cooking facilities , an awning and a flat deck behind the unit, all on one chassis . out side shower and with a little creativity wood heater ..love the idea of a little crane with a hand crank for hanging critters or what not ...