PDA

View Full Version : where to go for rabbit hunting?

duckhunt
01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Since big game hunting is done till bear season I was wondering where is a good rabbit hunting area that is at most 2 1/2 - 3 hours from surrey. also post your favorite rabbit recipe. always wanted to try rabbit and need something to fill the time from the end of duck season to mid april.

sneg
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
you do not need to drive far.rabbits everywhere.drive around edge of farmers' field and find bushes.rabbits will be there.make sure you are in hunting area.

martyonthewater
01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
you do not need to drive far.rabbits everywhere.drive around edge of farmers' field and find bushes.rabbits will be there.make sure you are in hunting area.
FV special area permit and a scattergun open up a lot of local rabbit range as well. be sure to knock on a few doors between aldergrove and chilliwack and you should be able to secure some great bunny action

duckhunt
01-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have the Fraser valley hunting map and license so i know the areas your allowed to hunt. Its nice knowing i don't have to go far.

sneg
01-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I was driving the other day in Delta some road between farmer fields.spotted nice family event : grandpa,grandma and drandson,probably 4-6 y.o hunting rabbits with dog on some green stuff. It was quite neat. Both grandparents were shooting.Young fella was really excited ,giving commands to dog and finger pointing at rabbits. nice.

Mr. Dean
01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
While you're out there chasing down bunnies, be on the lookout for coyotes too. They usually go hand-in-hand. :wink:

The Fraser Valley has OODLES of both but is also mainly private property and most often, permission is needed. Also be aware of firearm restrictions (shotty only, for example) in the area you're hunting.

Rabbit meat IS delicious. Treat it (spice) as you would for pork and munch on! One of my faves for bunny is a sweet-n-sour sauce w/ pineapple bits. :biggrin:

Singleshotneeded
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
:DHey Duckhunt, I like to stuff the inside of bunnies with onion and garlic, salt/pepper, and sage. Then I tie them tightly with twine, and put a few cuts in the meaty portions, stuffing in some sage, salt/pepper, and a small piece of garlic. I then roll them in olive oil with some garlic powder in it, and roast them at 350 for 50 odd minutes, more or less depending on size.
Enjoy! They're also quite tasty Italian Cacciatore style, cut them up and fry them slowly with olive oil, tomato sauce, garlic, and black olives, turning the pieces often. Have fun!

duckhunt
02-22-2009, 11:15 PM
thank you again for replies, I will definitely try that recipe slingshot sounds awesome. Still haven't been able to get out and get permission been too busy lately.

Mr. Dean
02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
I was out in the lower echelons of the Coq., last Wednesday.

LOTTSA Bunny tracks in the snow. :wink:

Rackaholic
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
FV special area permit and a scattergun open up a lot of local rabbit range as well. be sure to knock on a few doors between aldergrove and chilliwack and you should be able to secure some great bunny action

'FV special area permit'.. What is that? Can you still hunt in the FV without it or do you have to have one?
Thanks

dutchie
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
youhave to have the permit because you have to prove 3rd party Liability insurance.

enjoy

dutchie

Jason Melo
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
me and a cousin of mine are going out for rabbits on saturday to mu 2-17 and just wondering if it is worth our time to go out there????:???:

Rackaholic
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
youhave to have the permit because you have to prove 3rd party Liability insurance.

enjoy

dutchie

um... ok... doesn't the normal hunting license cover that?

And how do I get the FV one?

dutchie
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
um... ok... doesn't the normal hunting license cover that?

And how do I get the FV one?

you just need to go to the local hunting shop that sells licenses (not wal-mart) and get the FV license... it expires March 31, 2009 so get ready to get another one ASAP!

Johnnybear
02-24-2009, 11:10 PM
The bunnies are starting to be very active hear on the Island around my shop. See them every morning on the ride in. Snow is almost gone. Might have to pack the .22 with me to work.

Good luck bunny hunting.

eaglesnester
02-25-2009, 09:41 AM
:DHey Duckhunt, I like to stuff the inside of bunnies with onion and garlic, salt/pepper, and sage. Then I tie them tightly with twine, and put a few cuts in the meaty portions, stuffing in some sage, salt/pepper, and a small piece of garlic. I then roll them in olive oil with some garlic powder in it, and roast them at 350 for 50 odd minutes, more or less depending on size.
Enjoy! They're also quite tasty Italian Cacciatore style, cut them up and fry them slowly with olive oil, tomato sauce, garlic, and black olives, turning the pieces often. Have fun! If you throw on a little dry white wine like a cup or so per bunny with the first recipe you really got some fine eaten. Oh almost forgot throw some crushed fried bacon bits on top cus the bunny meat is dryer then hell as there is no fat in it.