PDA

View Full Version : Tasco 3-9x40 Riflescope

Rhys
10-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I just received a Tasco 3-9x40 OAO Riflescope from my brother in law's dad, he bought it new last year or the year before, but never got around to mounting it on this rifle, and now they are going to mexico for a few years.

Would it be worth mounting this on my remington 700 30-06? Right now I have an older bushnell 4X scope on it. It works okay but I would prefer something a little higher powered.

I have not heard much about the Tasco brand but it doesnt seem too be too expensive to urchase one. Leading me to think that it might not be very good.

Any thoughts?

Rhys

brotherjack
10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I haven't owned a Tasco personally, but I know a few people that swear by them, and in test pointing their rifles, they seemed fine to me. They're probably not top of the line, but they should be very comprable to Bushnell in the budget class of optics. (Actually, Bushnell bought Tasco some time back I seem to recall, so there may not be much/any difference anymore).... For the record, I think very highly of Bushnell - great products, great price, and spectactular customer service.

In other words, I'd use it in a heartbeat, if it was me. :)

sealevel
10-18-2005, 02:36 PM
I havent had one but a few friends of mine has. If you get a good one they are great or you can get a piece of crap. You will not know tell you try it.

Fred
10-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I agree with Sealevel although BJ has made a good point or 2! :biggrin: Fred

hutch
10-18-2005, 04:33 PM
I've had one on my rifle for 3 years no trouble at all

Bow Walker
10-18-2005, 04:38 PM
A freebee? Heck, slap it on and got to the range. A few pokes to sight it in and you're all set.

Tasco are on the lower end of the price range scale but they compare favorably to Bushnells as B'jack has stated.

If you are still not too sure about the whole idea............mail it to me and I will put it on one of my guns;) It's the least I could do for a fellow site member!:lol:

tmarschall
10-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Brotherjack, ditto on the customer service from Bushnel. I had a set of 10X binocs that went out of alignment. sent them in with 10 bucks and got a new pair. No questions asked. It was a model of binocs that were on their warranty list, might have helped.

Rhys
10-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I have just been hesitant to swap the scope because it is hard for me to get to the range since I am not a member of one yet and they all seem to be quite a distance from Burnaby! I will try to get it on asap since I have a 10 day moose hunt coming up Nov 4-14.

Rhys

bsa30-06
10-18-2005, 06:54 PM
hey rhys i know what you mean we need a range a little closer ,i used to go to the port cog range when i had the time it would take me about 45 mins just to drive there and if you didnt get there early you would have to wait as it fills up real quick.

lip_ripper00
10-18-2005, 06:57 PM
hey rhys Coquitlam fish and game club range is about 30 min. away

Rhys
10-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for that info, I just found it on the internet.

Unfortunately I just checked out the scope and it looks like it wont fit onto my Rifle.

The scope only has 4 3/4" tube area to mount the rings on, that is too narrow and will not fit onto my bases afterwards :(

Rhys

brotherjack
10-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Brotherjack, ditto on the customer service from Bushnel. I had a set of 10X binocs that went out of alignment. sent them in with 10 bucks and got a new pair. No questions asked. It was a model of binocs that were on their warranty list, might have helped.

The only time I've ever had to deal with Bushnell customer service wasn't really Bushnell's fault - but they went above and beyond the call of duty to make a happy camper out of me.

I got sold a Bushnell air-rifle scope and didn't know it (I just asked for a low end Bushnell 3-9, and they sold it to me and mounted/boresighted it at the store, I never saw the box or knew the model). Anyway, I found out later at the range that the parallax on it was just awful - moving my head would move the crosshairs 6 inches at 100 yards. The shop I bought it from refused to help me out on it; said it was between me and Bushnell - so I shipped it in to Bushnell. They told me the scoop on the air-rifle scope having a parallax of like 15 yards - and then shipped me a proper 3-9 rifle scope with a 100 yard parallax, on their dime, no questions asked or hassle given.

Currently, I own a couple pair of binoculars, a spotting scope, and 3 rifle scopes; all Bushnell. They're all plenty good for the likes of me; I have no complaints about any of them. I can't recall ever owning anything by Bushnell that I wasn't pretty happy with, now that I think about it (other than as noted above).

Between the great customer service, and my satisfaction with their products - I will likely never buy optic products made by anyone but Bushnell (or maybe Tasco, since they're owned by Bushnell).

Gus
10-19-2005, 08:39 AM
I've had two tasco and they worked great until one day they got moisture on the inside and fogged up on me. Happened to both scopes and each time they actually costed me a moose. Once the moisture got inside they were pretty much screwed. I'd give it a shot though because before these incidents, they were good scopes. My 2 cents.

Rob
10-31-2005, 08:58 PM
If Bushnell owns tasco whats the Tasco equivalent to the elite 3200/4200? is their a tasco scope with raingaurd? just curious:| I have a tasco on my .303 and a 3200 on my 7mm and their is no comparison, could be just a low end tasco i guess.

Steeleco
10-31-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a feeling that Bushnell's plan is to phase out tasco and only move Bushnell products. They did the same thing with Baush and Laumb a few years back and they were better than any Bushnell scope made today with the exception of the 4200. JMHO

brotherjack
10-31-2005, 11:12 PM
If Bushnell owns tasco whats the Tasco equivalent to the elite 3200/4200? is their a tasco scope with raingaurd? just curious:| I have a tasco on my .303 and a 3200 on my 7mm and their is no comparison, could be just a low end tasco i guess.

I'm just curious - what's the 'no comparison'? I've looked through $500 scopes, and I've looked through $50 scopes, and while I can tell minor differences (more expensive stuff usually gathers light better, better field of view sometimes, that kind of thing) - I've never seen anything through a higher end scope that would make me not want to shell out big bucks for anything higher end than my little Bushnell Sportsman.... am I missing something here? Is my eyesight that bad? :mrgreen:

Steeleco
11-01-2005, 01:11 AM
BJack, I think you'll find a few big differences between a $50 scope and a $500 one. Things like eye relief, ability to hold up under recall. I'm not sure your sportsman while a good scope on you 303 may not be the best choise on a big gun like a 338 or such.
You might find that you need to be closer to the scope to get a full view and on a magnum trust me getting scoped is BAD. I also had a trophy that eventually lost ability to hold POI even on my 30.06.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. But even I have a limit. I draw the line at a scope worth more than my gun, but many shooters feel the optics are more important than the gun.