PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand

BCHunterFSJ
01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I am planning a hunt to New Zealand for red stag and tahr next year. Has anyone out there done such a trip? Any suggestions, references, general comments, etc. would be very welcome.
Thanks!

David Heitsman
01-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I went in 06 with Gary Herbert of New Zealand Mountain hunting. He is highly rated and I took a gold stag, free range stag, tahr (with Heli)
chamois and fallow deer.

The trip went with military precision and I highly recommend them. He has booths at every hunting show in the US.

http://www.nzhuntingsafaris.com/

Drop me a PM if you want more info.

BCRiverBoater
01-19-2009, 03:12 PM
This has interested me for a few years but just lacking the money to try it. A gold rated stag would be one of my top hunts after several sheep species. Think they make one of the nicer mounts.

bridger
01-26-2009, 05:41 AM
vic go to jim shockeys website he aired a segment on his tv show the other day about stag hunting in new zeland with all the contact info. show some big stags and lots of them

David Heitsman
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a free range and a gold stag mounted at my office in Abbotsford.
Stop by and see the difference anytime guys.

BCHunterFSJ
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your response, guys.
I just booked my hunt with Mike and Deborah Wilks of South Pacific Safaris...

David Heitsman
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Now that you can go direct from YVR to Aukland it would be easier to take your own gun along.

I used a couple when I was there and they were pretty good. (30:06 and .270)

riflebuilder
01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I am going in April....need to get in shape. There is a big differnce in the quality of the ranched hunts for stag and the free range animals. Personally I preferee the free range animals, but to each his own. It is a great place to hunt and one of my favorite places that I have ever been to. I shot thar and Chamois the last time there. I am hunitng stag nd sitka this time. If anyone wants to come along it is a great time and should not be missed.