PDA

View Full Version : anybody ever try this

Geronimo
01-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm new to Waterfowling--first season to be exact-- definitely found a new passion. Everyone I've talked to so far has advised me not to worry about the duck legs--too hard to get, the meat is too tough --all grissle,etc,etc; but being the guy I am, (I believe if you kill it you should at least attempt to use as much as possible.) I have been saving the legs in ziplock bags and today "dutchie", my son, took them out of the freezer and put them in a slow cooker with a little water,lots of garlic,ginger,a little soy sauce, some honey, onions and slow cooked them (6hrs)took them out put a little honey/garlic sauce on them and ---WOW-- chicken wings cannot come close to the delectable morsels these turned out as. Tender --they fell apart in my mouth-- might try "Buffalo Legs" next

kyleklassen
01-18-2009, 01:03 AM
awesome .

branthunter
01-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Dig out a good Italian cookbook and sub the duck legs for the veal shank in the Osso Bucco recipes. It's a fantastic dinner----you can do the same thing with any of the so-called tough cuts of game---especially good with deer/moose/elk shanks or finger meat. Or you can go Moroccan and use the duck legs in a tagine recipe.

Tanya
01-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Yup, that's what we do with the legs. Slow cook them in whatever flavors we feel inspired to use. Curry works well with goose legs too. Beware though of fishy pintail - oh what an awful mouthful that was!

Marc
01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Another thing you can do as well is after you breast out the birds, boil up the bodies for a couple of hours, take them out to cool(keep broth) once cooled, pick the meat off and put it back in the pot. Add Potatoes, Carrots, Celery and any other vegetable you prefer.You can add dumplings if you like. I usually put some chicken broth in there as well and a good helping of summer savory. Makes a great Fricot.

MichelD
01-18-2009, 11:03 AM
My wife plucks every bird and uses the whole thing.

Sometimes if she wants to grill breasts she'll fillet them off after plucking, then pressure cooks the rest for soup.

Glenny
01-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I bet this would work good with grouse legs too. No tags of course.

Marc
01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Here is a picture of the eight mallards I shot yesterday, one is destined in the oven for supper tonight. The Breast are headed for work for the BBQ and the legs and strips from inside the breast will be used in the slow cooker.

My mouth is watering just talking about it. Now I have to go and sweep and vacuum up all the feathers floating around the house.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/limit_ready_to_eat.jpg

rifleman
01-18-2009, 03:34 PM
[quote=MichelD;395592]My wife plucks every bird and uses the whole thing.
every bird? , would that include mine also? LOL

Geronimo
01-18-2009, 05:03 PM
All these sound absolutely delicious--need to get more birds to try them all-- Tried totally plucking a goose took forever-down and feathers everywhere-must be a faster way-- I've heard about dipping them in hot water first--how hot and for how long----Marc--My mouth is watering looking at the pics of them all processed-- I can say I am getting faster at getting the breasts and legs out-- The Fricot and soup both sound like a great way to get the most out of them--thanks for the tips

Marc
01-18-2009, 05:09 PM
----Marc--My mouth is watering looking at the pics of them all processed-- I can say I am getting faster at getting the breasts and legs out-- The Fricot and soup both sound like a great way to get the most out of them--thanks for the tips

I'm sitting here in the kitchen and the duck has been in the oven now for about an hour and a half and it smells good, real good.:-P Another hour or so before it's done. I put it in a french white roaster, cut some onions, carrots, and potatoes and toss it all in there together. Put about a cup of water on the bottom, add seasoning and in the oven it goes. A whole meal in a dish.

Bow Walker
01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Marc - you're gonna replace New Hunterette as the "resifdent chef of HBC" !!

branthunter
01-18-2009, 08:35 PM
All these sound absolutely delicious--need to get more birds to try them all-- Tried totally plucking a goose took forever-down and feathers everywhere-must be a faster way-- I've heard about dipping them in hot water first--how hot and for how long----Marc--My mouth is watering looking at the pics of them all processed-- I can say I am getting faster at getting the breasts and legs out-- The Fricot and soup both sound like a great way to get the most out of them--thanks for the tips

Here's the hot tip of the year for plucking----get yourself a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves (they are quite thin but tough rubber and come in colours but I think yellow works best). Wear one on your plucking hand and you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to grasp and pull the feathers.

Gateholio
01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
You guys ever use the plucking hanger racks that the old school butchers used to use?

Just hangs the birds from thier legs, and they woudl really rip the feathers off fast. Birds were still pretty warm, too, so it might be easier.

Marc
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Here's the hot tip of the year for plucking----get yourself a pair of rubber dishwashing gloves (they are quite thin but tough rubber and come in colours but I think yellow works best). Wear one on your plucking hand and you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to grasp and pull the feathers.

Why didn't I think of that. Probably helps pull the down off as well.