PDA

View Full Version : Kennels

ex bc guide
10-18-2005, 12:18 PM
I have a 10x20 kennel for my 2 hounds and it has a sand base,The problem that I am having is the smell, is there anything that I can put in there to get rid of this?Would lime be ok or would this be too hard on there feet.I have had them in this kennel for 1 year and this is the first time that it has been this bad.Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike

Blacktail
10-18-2005, 09:36 PM
If it will be a permanent kennel then the best is to have a concrete base so it can be hosed of and cleaned a few times per year

Bear in mind that you will have to supply a covered area that they can get out of the weather with a raised platform to get them off the concrete to sleep

Steeleco
10-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Don't use lime, it may hurt their feet but if it get's in their eyes they could go blind, it is very caustic and burns like nothing else.

10-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Definitely not lime.........it will harm your dogs. A weak solution of bleach will alleviate the smells temporarily, but to get rid of the smell permanently, you need to be able wash your pen down and get rid of the water. I have seen sealed concrete used, or tiny pea gravel with allows drainage, but eventually you have to wash it down thoroughly.
Blacktails suggestion of a raised platform and covered area is a very good idea too,(l built our kennel with the doghouse raised off the ground so the dogs have the full use of the run) although when the dogs decide to serenade while under the roof, it provides some loud entertainment....

Fred
10-19-2005, 09:02 AM
I just had a bizarre thought. Ask the complaining neighbour lady about her suggestions for smell removal. She just might have some good ones and if they don't work then it is her fault! :wink: Fred

ex bc guide
10-19-2005, 09:09 AM
The kennel has a full roof over it now,I think that I may have to go with a concrete floor.
Mike

DieselDog
10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
I have the same size kennel. Dug a pit in the middle and layed 3/4 crush drain rock, then installed perforated pvc pipe and covered with more drain rock and filter cloth.Brought pipe to surface and covered pit with native soil. I used concrete patio pavers (2'x2') for the floor and sloped them towards the pipe coming out of the ground. cut the pipe flush with concrete. Instant septic system! I hose it down once a week, no fuss ,no mess, no smell. Works great!

Barracuda
10-19-2005, 09:54 PM
what complaints have you gotten from the neighbours? could they have been thew ones that poisened your dogs? .
your yard is pretty big coudnt you make a pad with the appropriate drainage and move the kennel?

ex bc guide
10-19-2005, 10:54 PM
No,there has not been any complaints as of yet.I am noticing the smell when I am out with the dogs. The option of moving the kennel is not so good as it has the most shade where it is now.I think that I will go with Diesel dogs idea and see how that works,As for who is responsible for the b&e and the hounds getting sick,well the picture is starting to show pretty good now.We will see what happens in a few weeks.
Mike