PDA

View Full Version : Pheasants in Merrit area?

Dano
10-17-2005, 05:53 PM
My parents moved to Merrit this past summer and a friend of mine said he thought there were pheasants up around there.
Does anyone know of spot I could try up in that area (I'll be back up in a few weeks). Love to hunt pheasants but the numbers have dropped drastically in the Pitt area in recent years (mostly due to habitat loss and an increase in preditors).
Thanks for any info,
Dano

meat eater
05-04-2011, 10:15 PM
i live here and i have never seen 1 yet!! not saying that we don't have them here! but i have never seen one!(but i hear the sasquatches are hear too!!! and again never seen one!)lol just kiddin just never seen one!!!)

Cariboo Game Calls
05-06-2011, 06:00 AM
It is possible a pheasant or two could be wandering around in that area. Apparently there is a pheasant shoot that goes on in the Quilchena area once a year that DU has some involvement in. The birds get brought in from breeders out in Brooks. Alberta etc and are released specifically for the shoot.

.300wsm
05-06-2011, 07:56 PM
me and my gsp are yet to find one here .have heard myth's of spots to try have hit them hard with no success. And my dog is no slouch, fine tuned machine. found sharpies but no season though.

bcfirefly
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Lived in merritt for over 30 yrs and have never seen one. Lots of grouse tho. Just moved to the north okanagan and there are pheasants all over the place!

behemoth
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I live in Merritt and have seen maybe 5 or 6 over the last 20 years all but one being hens.

When I saw the cock I was loaded and had a bead on him but didnt shoot because I was on private land. I had permission to shoot ducks and geese on this land but wasnt sure how he would feel if I shot the only cock pheasant around.

So in short, Merritt is not a good place to go pheasant hunting