PDA

View Full Version : broadheads again

westhoyt
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Is there really a broadhead out there that will truly fly the same as a field point, It seems to me that you can make a field point do anything but not a broadhead.
What I am sayiny is if my bow is not properly tuned than it will be pretty hard to find a broadhead that will match a field point, Am I correct ?
I have tried to different broadheads and had to make a slight tuneing adjustment for 1 and than I didnt bother for the other because it was so different. Jody

Ddog
01-15-2009, 05:48 PM
i am kinda lost on this ,, if your bow isnt properly tuned then isnt it hard to shoot your field points as well?

but to answer what i think you are asking , the mechanical broadheads usually fly the same as field points. i use the spitfire XP's and they hit where my field points hit. and i know others on this site can attest to the mechanicals they use.

Bow Walker
01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Jeez Jody - I wish either you were nearby or I was up there. We could solve your problem in an afternoon.

westhoyt
01-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Hey thanks Bow Walker, don't get me wrong, I am quite enjoying all this bow shooting stuff. I was just stateing that I did have to adjust my bow to get a mechanical togroup close to my field points, this was after shooting nice groups with field points and doing the walkback tuning method.
Thanks Jody

.308win
01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Not tring to high jack your thread westhoyt, but I had the same sort of question, will fixed broad heads and field points of the same weight fly pretty close to the same pattern?!

Perry

Bow Walker
01-16-2009, 09:09 PM
It is definitely possible to get fixed heads to fly like field points. Mine do. Out to at least 50 yards - not that I'd ever advise anyone to actually shoot at a game animal that far away.

I say out to at least 50yards because when I was a member at Vic Bowmen, that's as far as I could get back from the broadhead pit without standing in the parking lot (kinda frowned on, ya know).

It takes a bit of patience, some careful arrow building, and then some careful assembly/testing.........but then I'm kinda anal about my equipment.

.308win
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
So I if I undestand, to get practice(Field points) arrows to fly close to your hunting(broadhead) arrows, you WILL need to tweek your bow to find a happy medium?!! Getting a bow real soon!!....as you can tell!:smile:

Perry

Bow Walker
01-17-2009, 10:34 AM
The bow should be "tweaked" regardless of your choice of point(s). It should be tuned to you, it should be tuned to your arrows, and most importantly, it should be tuned so that it's a pleasure to shoot,,,or you will find yourself not wanting to shoot.

There is basic tuning, like centershot, peep adjustment/alignment, nocking point, tiller, etc, etc. Then there is the micro-tuning that gets it shooting like a laser light. Find a knowledgeable person who will take the time needed to tune it right, and who will build your arrows with care.

pupper
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM
here is how I tune my broadheads (http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Broadhead_Tuning_Tips), I received help from interceptor on this site.

Bigbear
01-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Jody PM Me

westhoyt
01-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey havent figured out how to do that yet? Big Bear

westhoyt
01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I was thinking about what Bow Walker was saying about good arrows , so i went out and shot my practice broadhead with a different arrow that I had not used for field point practice and sure enough I shot 2field points and 1 broadhead into a nice group a few times.
Than I put Broadhead on the original arrow I was practicing with and sure enough arrow hit low and to the left .again.[a few times].
Wow there are a lot of variables to screw with a guys head, of course I am looking for perfection, but learning what is what will help a lot.
Jody

jessbennett
01-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey havent figured out how to do that yet? Big Bear

just click on big bears name and there will be an option to pm him.

westhoyt
01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks I figured it out, Hey are there clinics a guy can go to ,to learn how to work on shooting form etc, that would probably mess with me big time haha. Jody

Bow Walker
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Jody - are you using aluminum shafts by any chance?

The reason I ask is that if they get even slightly bent out of "true" then their junk - unless, of course, you spend a bunch of $$$ and time to learn how to straighten them. Even then they are suspect.

Personally (and it's just O.M's.O.) that's the single biggest reason for shooting carbon shafts. Plus carbons are waaay tougher, and will take much more abuse than aluminums will.

PGK
01-18-2009, 07:26 PM
NAP spitfires in the same grain weight as your field tips will shoot identical to your field tips...

westhoyt
01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Using carbon fibre arrows, I think the insert got damaged when I firststarted an arrow went through target and stuck in door of my shop, had to dig it out . Will be more aware of using new arrows for broadhead tuning. Jody