PDA

View Full Version : G5 Tekan II's vs Rocky Mtn Snypers or Revolutions

brotherjack
10-17-2005, 11:05 AM
So, as I continue my obsessive research into broadheads in search of the ideal 100-ish grain head, I'm looking hard at the mechanicals (though not the jack-knife opening type - not enough KE on my bow, from what I've read). The Rocky Mtn Snyper's and Rocky Mtn Revolutions, as well as the G5 Tekan II have a rearward opening design that would cost so little KE to open on impact, that I would consider them acceptable at the 220ish FPS/45ish lbs of KE that my bow shoots.

So, my question: does anyone have any reason other than personal preference to prefer any of the heads I mentioned more than the others - especially in light of a slower/lower KE bow?

Thanks in advance.

Thunderstix
10-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Just a comment that it would be nice if they offered them in heavier weights such as 145-175.

brotherjack
10-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Heh; It would be nice if my 150lb crossbow had enough 'oomph' to fling a head that heavy. :) Because of the longer/heavier carbon arrows I'm shooting, even stepping down to 100 grain heads, I'm still exceeding the original spec's of the bow by almost 100 grains of arrow weight. I'd go lighter than 100 grain heads, but accuracy starts suffering noticably around 85-90 grains.

Bow Walker
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
bj,

Have a hard look at the 100 grain Razorcap broadheads. They are phenomenal.
The website is http://www.razorcaps.com (http://www.razorcaps.com/)

If there isn't a dealer or a shop that sells them in your area, I know that Peter's Sports in Courtenay will ship them to you in a very timely manner. Email them at
mailto: mailto: order@tyeemarine.com (order@tyeemarine.com) Direct your enquiry to a guy named Rick Phipps. He is the one that helped me and I know that they have both the 100 and the 125 grain head.

In my humble opinion, they are THE head to be on any shaft. :!:

Dan.

brotherjack
10-17-2005, 02:15 PM
bj,

Have a hard look at the 100 grain Razorcap broadheads. They are phenomenal.

In my humble opinion, they are THE head to be on any shaft. :!:

They are on my short list of fixed-blades. :)

I'm not totally bent on going to an expandable, but my crossbow gets fletching contact against the bow on launch, which puts the arrow off a 0 angle flightpath long enough to let the broadhead catch air and pull my groups out to 2 or 3 inches at 30 yards (vs nock-splitting with field points). 2-3 inches is acceptable for me, considering that 30 yards is my personal limit for shooting a critter, and that's well within the kill zone - but, having pin-point accuracy is preferable; hence my consideration of expandables.

I wish I had a couple hundred bucks to blow on a bunch of different heads so I could field test em before I settle on one, but I don't.

sealevel
10-17-2005, 02:27 PM
I have never tried the tekan11s but the thing that bugged me about the tekans was keeping the blades closed if you touch anything with them one could slide back for that reason i will not use them maybe the tekan11s are better.

Bow Walker
10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
bro'

:-( Too bad that I don't live within a decent drive of where you are. Then you could at least test the Razorcaps, 'cause I would be lending you some. :mrgreen:

That is the only way to convince yourself as to which one shoots better out of your setup.

You might want to consider the package that is up for auction to support this site. The broadheads are 100 grain Spitfires. They were the second type of broadhead that I have bought since I took up the bow. I then went to Slick Tricks and am now sold on Razorcaps.

I believe I have finally found the head that works best for my setup.8)

huntwriter
11-17-2005, 06:24 PM
A good friend of me and professional hunter has field tested the G5 Tekan and is so much plesed with it's performance that he now use it exclusievly with his crossbow.

Right now I am looking into the entire line of G5 broadheads. What I like about this broadheads is that they made something which I personally have beeen after with broadhead manufacturers for ever. A cut to the tip design rather than a chisel point.

Thunderstix- All G5 broadheads design come in a variety of grain weights including 125grain, my personal favorite weight too.

Jetboater
11-17-2005, 06:32 PM
best broadhead out there !!!! I have broken shoulder bones with them,this year my GF shot a blacktail; through both shoulders with a pass through, but that arrow right back in the quiver.

Ddog
11-17-2005, 07:22 PM
my personal utmost favorite broadhead is the mechanical spitfire 100GR. I have shot that broadhead right through the shoulder and out the other side of an elk shooting at 63lbs at about 22 yards. My second favorite broadhead is the mechanical 100 grimreaper have taken several deer with these ones..however i once read a very interesting article on all broadheads.
one thing that must be remembered and it makes sense to me is:
being a mechanical broadhead it has a less than 100% chance of opening on impact where as a fixed broadhead remains open at all times.
i have considered this many times and after a pass through with the spitfire i have picked it up and it has been closed..so i always remember that article.. and always think "did it open?"..but it always has and the pressure of it going through has snapped it shut on exiting.
and i also like the fact that i do not have to tune my bow to the broadhead because they fly excactly like field points.

brotherjack
11-17-2005, 07:44 PM
best broadhead out there !!!! I have broken shoulder bones with them,this year my GF shot a blacktail; through both shoulders with a pass through, but that arrow right back in the quiver.

To which head are you referring?

Ddog
11-17-2005, 07:50 PM
i am referring to the spitfire and the grimreapers..if you are not familiar with them you need to fire them at your target at least once to see how they fly for you. so far they have all flown excactly like the field points.

oldtimer
11-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Brotherjack---------- I have used the Muzzy broadheads and have no problem with them, Granted I have only taken one deer with them but they worked beautifully. MIKE

brotherjack
11-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Brotherjack---------- I have used the Muzzy broadheads and have no problem with them, Granted I have only taken one deer with them but they worked beautifully.

Yeah, I like my Muzzy's too, but I'm getting more and more set that I'd like a field-point-accuracy to hunt with, and short of getting a better crossbow (which I can't afford), I think mechanicals are my only viable option.

Ddog
11-18-2005, 12:21 AM
plain and simple, you want consistent field point accuracy then mechanical broadheads are the only choice..
there are so many to choose from if you go on the cabelas website you will see what i mean..all my bowhunting partners use thunderhead 100GR. and they all have to shoot each 1 in the target and then number their arrows in the order of wich one flies more true. I have switched to mechanicals for as long as i can remember now and have never had one fail me yet. The only ones that have failed are because i missed! I like the spitfire cut on impact mechanical heads and have just recently got a few of those ones have yet to shoot one at an animal though, and the 1 1/2 inch cutting diameter is nice to, puts a big hole in the selected target.

Jetboater
11-18-2005, 09:48 AM
twist on a montec g5 and it will shoot as true as any mechanical, as long as your inserts are glued in properly, I have had mechanicals deflect off of animals when they are slightly quartering away,out of the 27 animals I have shot with the bow seven were shot with mechanicals and all were hands and knees searches, shoot a fixed blade and you will never have an issue.
I have shot a lot of broadheads working in a proshop and have to say the the montecs, thunderheads and muzzys are the go too broadhead. for compounds but you cant beat a magnus for a tradtional bow.

brotherjack
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
twist on a montec g5 and it will shoot as true as any mechanical, as long as your inserts are glued in properly, I have had mechanicals deflect off of animals when they are slightly quartering away,out of the 27 animals I have shot with the bow seven were shot with mechanicals and all were hands and knees searches, shoot a fixed blade and you will never have an issue.

The issue with my crossbow (best as I can tell), is that with the longer/heavier/larger fletching arrows I shoot (compared to the manufacture's recommended arrow - which is badly inaccurate because of it's light weight and small fletching), the larger fletchings contact the bow on arrow launch. This causes a split second with the arrow on a non-0 degree flightpath, which allows any fixed-blade head to catch enough air to steer the arrow somewhat. I can split nocks at just about any range with field points, but with the broadheads, 2 inch groups at 30 yards are as good as it gets (and that's with good heads like the muzzy's, cheap-o stuff like the Eastman Outfitters heads they sell at Wal-Mart are like 4+ inch groups).

And my interest in mechanicals like the Snyper, Revolution, or the Tekan II is for the very reason that such rearward-opening designs solve the various problems that come with the 'jack-knife' open fold-back blade style heads.