PDA

View Full Version : What kind of bird?

kastles
01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
down at boundary bay across from westham island i saw a few bird fly by, right within range, and i did not want to shoot them cause i did not know if they were brant or not. they were flying by by themselves, dark, and i could tell they were pretty skinny when they flew to the side of me. i think i noticed them standing on some pilings before. any ideas? thanks

kastles

trail blazer
01-14-2009, 10:16 PM
pretty sure that would be a cormorant,good idea not to shoot.

Crazy_Farmer
01-14-2009, 10:21 PM
down i think i noticed them standing on some pilings before

kastles

Yep Comorants would be my guess aswell. Its good to hear you didnt fire becuase you couldnt ID the bird, they are protected just like those sandpipers in the huge flocks you also see out there.

heyblast
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I say the same, Cormorants. And be careful in low light and coming at you they can look like a goose.

pattern master
01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I think you might be lost or I am not reading this correct. Boundary Bay is not across from Westham Island. Do you mean the Brunswick.

kastles
01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
ok thanks guys. that means i did not see any ducks once again. so do you think we'll ever get a swan season? :)

kyleklassen
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
cormorants. so would you were going to shoot them if they were brant? might want to check the regs on that one.

Ddog
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
let me be the 4th to say cormorants, dont shoot,, you would probably miss though. those things can seriously boogie!!
we were heading to seattle harbor going full out at 25 knots and 3 of those things passed us like we were in a row boat.

Dirty
01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
cormorants. so would you were going to shoot them if they were brant? might want to check the regs on that one.

Do you have trouble understanding grammar and the english language. The way he phrased his statement implies that he wanted to make sure they weren't Brant.

Good Job! Not shooting because you can't ID, that's what I like to hear.

kastles
01-14-2009, 11:19 PM
kyle, i wanted to know cause i knew brants were out of season but was hopeing they fell under the "duck" catagory.
pattern, probably lost. i drove to the end of ladner trunk, and i think it turns into river road. just looked at gooogle earth and i was a far ways from bounday. good to know

kyleklassen
01-14-2009, 11:20 PM
and now he knows they weren't so is he gonna let 'um have it next time they come by.?

kyleklassen
01-15-2009, 09:28 AM
my apologies to kastles. was drinkin' and typing again. interesting point about cormorants a few years ago i saw you could buy decoys for them, so i looked into it a little further and saw that in california they have a real problem with them and the government was issuing permits to shoot them.

BiG Boar
01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
It was probably some kind of Phalacrocoracidae but that would just be a guess.