PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Valley Waterfowl hunters association: Expressions of interest

Alex
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Gentlemen,

With the increasing difficulty to find land on which to hunt, many hunters are turning to clubs or associations to gain exclusive access to private land. I suggest forming a group of about 6 to 8 motivated and involved members to do just that; to build relationships with farmers to secure wetlands and other agricultural lands for waterfowl hunting in and around the Fraser Valley (Abby, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge...).

The association would consist of ethical hunters who wish to be involved and active in their pastime. You must be willing to spend time knocking on doors, building blinds, and participating in other related activities (mostly during or close to open season of course). In time, if all goes well, a hunting camp could be built or purchased for member use.

At this time, I am looking for interested Fraser Valley hunters to discuss possible options. You must have time to invest and have a long term interest in the project. I envision the creation of a small committee (pres., vice pres treasurer...) and gradually sponsoring new members as we acquire new hunting grounds.

If you're interested, send me a PM!

Alex

f350ps
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
There is or used to be a club called The Local Hunters Club. It was pretty much exactly what you described. K

Gunner
01-14-2009, 10:47 PM
They used to have a bunch of land in the Fry's Corners area.I shot that area quite a bit with their members.Good shooting while it lasted,then along came suburbia. Gunner

Dirty
01-14-2009, 11:07 PM
My Dad and Uncle used to belong to the Local Hunters Club. The fields provided by this club were what got me in to waterfowl hunting. With the way of the world I would think that finding fields will be more difficult than expected, especially with multi-user groups. One person can ruin it for everybody in a short time. There is also stiff competition with Associated Wildlife Preserves already leasing and sewing up the majority of the prime fields throughout the LML. A lot of the fields that are not under their lease are because those people are sick of hunters, noise, and trespassing. Good luck in your endeavors. There is a lot of time involved. You have to find fields that actually have waterfowl or passing waterfowl. This will take a lot of time. You would be better off to just find a couple of fields for yourself, if you can. If you have dreams of starting a club and getting rich off of memberships you are ambitious to say the least.

Greenhead
01-16-2009, 09:05 AM
x 2 on Dirty's comment.
There are farmers out there that aren't happy with choice they made to lease their land to clubs, and are more than happy to lease it to one guy ,its way more simple for them. Start knocking on doors, you may be pleasantly surprised..... I was!
GH

Alex
01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Yup, I think I'll go that route. Or I might join LHC. 250$ isn't bad if they have access to a lot of land.

I'm going out on Friday to knock on a few doors and try my new roboduck.

Thanks for the advice

Alex

Oh and Dirty; I have a sale on memberships this week; buy one, get the second one for half price!!! Act now!!!
(I've got to finance my new shotgun somehow) ;-)